1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD CAI causing check engine light

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by BAELKHNTR, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Apr 9, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    BAELKHNTR

BAELKHNTR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    COLORADO
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab trd offroad
    TRD exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, runningboards OME 3" suspension lift, Toytec addaleaf, LRA upper control arms
    I had the dealer install a TRD cold air system on my 2011 TRD OFF ROAD double cab,and now am getting air leaks at the mass air flow sensor. My buddy had the same system installed on his 2008 TRD Sport and has had 7 check engine light failures. It seems the clamp has trouble getting a good seal. Has anyone else had any problems and if so found a solution? He went back to the original equipment and cannot duplicate the failure.

2. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    BAELKHNTR

BAELKHNTR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    COLORADO
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab trd offroad
    TRD exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, runningboards OME 3" suspension lift, Toytec addaleaf, LRA upper control arms
    Just an update, didn't go 20 miles and it threw another check engine light. I checked all the clamps and can't find anything loose or not fitting properly. I'm wondering if the new box design for the 2011's is slightly off some where.

3. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    TacoTron

TacoTron Tacotronn

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Tacoma
    could be the maf.

4. Apr 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    hey man havent heard from you in a long time, i miss your truck lmao

5. Apr 12, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    BAELKHNTR

BAELKHNTR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    COLORADO
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab trd offroad
    I went back to the toyota dealer today. The mechanic who has been working on this problem called Toyota engineering, who then called TRD head engineer. They have come up with a new air box and different seals. they are going to send the new parts and we will see if it corrects the problem. So far Toyota and TRD have been good to work with. I'll let you know how it works out.

6. Apr 15, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    BAELKHNTR

BAELKHNTR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    COLORADO
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab trd offroad
    Yesterday the toyota dealer called and the new CAI system was in, they sent it overnight express. They installed a completely new system. They have modified the air box slightly to clear the windshield washer resivoir, and ncome up with a new rubber gasket that is not as rigid. I haveabout 65 miles on it and sofar no check engine light. I was impressed how fast both the dealer and TRD worked to correct the problem. Now on to pick a good 3" lift.

7. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    krudawg

krudawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Goodyear, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner V6 SR5
    Pardon my ignorance but what advantage is there to a CAI??

8. Apr 17, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    BAELKHNTR

BAELKHNTR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    COLORADO
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab trd offroad
    The reason I went with a TRD CAI system was to try and gain perfomance at the altitude in Colorado. My wife and I have owned both naturally aspirated and turbo charged vehicles living at 5300 ft. and there is a difference in performance due to the lack of oxygen, especially as you get up around 10,000 feet. The key is the volume of air both in and out of the engine. The TRD air box is supposed to be less restrictive and the filter element passes more air than the stock set up. The same logic is applied to the exhaust side of the engine. The advantage of the TRD parts is,if there is one, that they won't void the warrenty. So far the system seems to give me quicker acceleration, power ndoes not seem to bleed off as altitude increases, and I am averaging 17-18 mpg. So far I am happy with the set up.

9. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    UticaClub

UticaClub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Utica, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Yakima Rack, Satoshi Mod, Grillcraft Insert, FJ40 Emblem, Hella 500 Driving Lamps, KMC HD Hoss 17x9 rims, BF Goodrich AT KO 265/70/17
    I throw check engine lights often, but they reset themselves after a few dozen miles. Annoying, but according to my mechanic, not harmful. Is there any reason for concern? This is with the TRD CAI.

10. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    MRW

MRW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marco
    Sunny San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB PreRunner
    See my build page!
    Do you guys have that foam seal in between your MAF and intake? If not maybe that's the problem?

11. May 13, 2011 at 7:39 AM
    Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike Active Member

Member:
    Paraguay
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4WD TRD off road
    Bilstein 5100 ,Xenon lights,rear tonneau cover,DNX 9140,ccd 2000,Garmin gpsmap 276c,rear AAL,front bull bar,hella luminator,tinted windows, pl8520.
    Post a picture please! with new mods.

12. May 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM
    BAELKHNTR

BAELKHNTR [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    COLORADO
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab trd offroad
    sorry for the delay in posting the pictures, I'm not real good with computers. The areas where I see changes in the new cold air system are 1) the tube seems to have been modified to give a better angle coming into the mas air fow sensor. 2) the red gasket is of a softer rubber so as to flex when tightened and not loose its seal. 3) the air box mounting holes have been modified so the box now clears the arm of the windshield washer resevoir. The old box rode on to the washer resevoir and caused the box to seperate and cause it to have a gap abive the filter element. I have put over 1,000 miles on the new system with no check engine lights. This is everything from highway to off road with hard ac[​IMG]celeration. My buddies 2008 TRD Sport has the new kit installed and it cured his light problem also. I hope the pictures help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. May 17, 2011 at 6:50 AM
    Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike Active Member

Member:
    Paraguay
    Vehicle:
    Silver 4WD TRD off road
    Bilstein 5100 ,Xenon lights,rear tonneau cover,DNX 9140,ccd 2000,Garmin gpsmap 276c,rear AAL,front bull bar,hella luminator,tinted windows, pl8520.
    I can not really tell the difference in these changes , maybe a can try again a new installation.TKS for the pictures.

14. May 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM
    ambro

ambro New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 DoubleCab Offroad
    TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Rear TSB, Bilstein 5100's All Around, Black OEM Skid Plate, Husky Liners Floor Mats
    I installed my TRD CAI on my 2011 a week or so ago. I was checking my oil and saw that the air filter was not compressed on the side closest to the washer fluid reservoir. I realized that one of the plastic clips on the back housing was not engaged. This was due to a collision between the top housing of the CAI and the plastic washer fluid reservoir mount. I had to file down part of the rubber on the housing to get plastic clips set without collision. It seems like the filter is compressed enough now to form a good seal. Just though I would let others know about the problem I ran into.

cai56.jpg

15. May 16, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
    Just saw this video the other day...maybe it can help all of you TRD CAI boys....Cheers

16. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I've never been able to fix the error code (P0101 for me) that the TRD gives me. Toyota won't help me and the dealer said "it's a known issue" but won't replace it because I didn't buy it from them. So I'm stuck with it just sitting in my garage. I've tried the claps, hoses, air box, sealed the MAF in there, nothing.

I was told its due to a leak where the MAF sits in the tube, which is bullshit. Only reason I went TRD is because it retains my warranty.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/216493-trd-intake-second-gen-p0101-code.html

I bought the URD MAF calibrator to fix this but am debating on installing it since I don't want to splice into factory wires, I'm sure Toyota would shit all over my warranty if they saw that.

Products Discussed in

To Top