Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

TRD CAI causing check engine light

Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
BAELKHNTR has a spectacular aura aboutBAELKHNTR has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bill
BAELKHNTR's Tacoma Gallery
TRD CAI causing check engine light

I had the dealer install a TRD cold air system on my 2011 TRD OFF ROAD double cab,and now am getting air leaks at the mass air flow sensor. My buddy had the same system installed on his 2008 TRD Sport and has had 7 check engine light failures. It seems the clamp has trouble getting a good seal. Has anyone else had any problems and if so found a solution? He went back to the original equipment and cannot duplicate the failure.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have an old style TRD intake and I have never had a problem.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

Just an update, didn't go 20 miles and it threw another check engine light. I checked all the clamps and can't find anything loose or not fitting properly. I'm wondering if the new box design for the 2011's is slightly off some where.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTron View Post
could be the maf.
hey man havent heard from you in a long time, i miss your truck lmao
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #6

TRD CAI Update part 2

I went back to the toyota dealer today. The mechanic who has been working on this problem called Toyota engineering, who then called TRD head engineer. They have come up with a new air box and different seals. they are going to send the new parts and we will see if it corrects the problem. So far Toyota and TRD have been good to work with. I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Yesterday the toyota dealer called and the new CAI system was in, they sent it overnight express. They installed a completely new system. They have modified the air box slightly to clear the windshield washer resivoir, and ncome up with a new rubber gasket that is not as rigid. I haveabout 65 miles on it and sofar no check engine light. I was impressed how fast both the dealer and TRD worked to correct the problem. Now on to pick a good 3" lift.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I'm glad you were taken care of so quickly.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
krudawg has a spectacular aura aboutkrudawg has a spectacular aura aboutkrudawg has a spectacular aura about
Marines: 9th Marines
Name: Ted
krudawg's Tacoma Gallery
Pardon my ignorance but what advantage is there to a CAI??
Old 04-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
Banned
In the end all intakes do nothing for a stock Tacoma engine.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
WRONG............

some make pretty colored lights come on in ur dash
Mine didn't do that.

I just got extra noise.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #12

The reason I went with a TRD CAI system was to try and gain perfomance at the altitude in Colorado. My wife and I have owned both naturally aspirated and turbo charged vehicles living at 5300 ft. and there is a difference in performance due to the lack of oxygen, especially as you get up around 10,000 feet. The key is the volume of air both in and out of the engine. The TRD air box is supposed to be less restrictive and the filter element passes more air than the stock set up. The same logic is applied to the exhaust side of the engine. The advantage of the TRD parts is,if there is one, that they won't void the warrenty. So far the system seems to give me quicker acceleration, power ndoes not seem to bleed off as altitude increases, and I am averaging 17-18 mpg. So far I am happy with the set up.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
UticaClub will become famous soon enoughUticaClub will become famous soon enough
Name: John
UticaClub's Tacoma Gallery
I throw check engine lights often, but they reset themselves after a few dozen miles. Annoying, but according to my mechanic, not harmful. Is there any reason for concern? This is with the TRD CAI.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #14
MRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to beholdMRW is a splendid one to behold

Name: Marco
MRW's Tacoma Gallery
Do you guys have that foam seal in between your MAF and intake? If not maybe that's the problem?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #15
Dr. Mike is on a distinguished road
Dr. Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Post a picture please! with new mods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAELKHNTR View Post
Yesterday the toyota dealer called and the new CAI system was in, they sent it overnight express. They installed a completely new system. They have modified the air box slightly to clear the windshield washer resivoir, and ncome up with a new rubber gasket that is not as rigid. I haveabout 65 miles on it and sofar no check engine light. I was impressed how fast both the dealer and TRD worked to correct the problem. Now on to pick a good 3" lift.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #16

sorry for the delay in posting the pictures, I'm not real good with computers. The areas where I see changes in the new cold air system are 1) the tube seems to have been modified to give a better angle coming into the mas air fow sensor. 2) the red gasket is of a softer rubber so as to flex when tightened and not loose its seal. 3) the air box mounting holes have been modified so the box now clears the arm of the windshield washer resevoir. The old box rode on to the washer resevoir and caused the box to seperate and cause it to have a gap abive the filter element. I have put over 1,000 miles on the new system with no check engine lights. This is everything from highway to off road with hard acceleration. My buddies 2008 TRD Sport has the new kit installed and it cured his light problem also. I hope the pictures help.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #17
Dr. Mike is on a distinguished road
Dr. Mike's Tacoma Gallery
I can not really tell the difference in these changes , maybe a can try again a new installation.TKS for the pictures.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
ambro is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
ambro's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my TRD CAI on my 2011 a week or so ago. I was checking my oil and saw that the air filter was not compressed on the side closest to the washer fluid reservoir. I realized that one of the plastic clips on the back housing was not engaged. This was due to a collision between the top housing of the CAI and the plastic washer fluid reservoir mount. I had to file down part of the rubber on the housing to get plastic clips set without collision. It seems like the filter is compressed enough now to form a good seal. Just though I would let others know about the problem I ran into.
Attached Thumbnails
TRD CAI causing check engine light-cai56.jpg  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this video the other day...maybe it can help all of you TRD CAI boys....Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomastiff View Post
VId I made for people having issues with the 2nd gen CAI and running lean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfMpeTdseMU
Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've never been able to fix the error code (P0101 for me) that the TRD gives me. Toyota won't help me and the dealer said "it's a known issue" but won't replace it because I didn't buy it from them. So I'm stuck with it just sitting in my garage. I've tried the claps, hoses, air box, sealed the MAF in there, nothing.

I was told its due to a leak where the MAF sits in the tube, which is bullshit. Only reason I went TRD is because it retains my warranty.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...0101-code.html

I bought the URD MAF calibrator to fix this but am debating on installing it since I don't want to splice into factory wires, I'm sure Toyota would shit all over my warranty if they saw that.