Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Which toyota truck engine is the best

View Poll Results: Which Toyota truck engine is the best?
22RE 65 37.79%
3RZ-FE 7 4.07%
2RZ-FE 5 2.91%
2TR-FE 9 5.23%
5VZ-FE 23 13.37%
1GR-FE 29 16.86%
2UZ-FE 2 1.16%
3UR-FE 2 1.16%
1FZ-FE 4 2.33%
WTF is an Engine? 26 15.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #21
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
Doesn't sound like it was inspected correctly if the timing chain got that bad.
What should he have inspected? It may not have been showing signs of it failing. When my 22r blew head gasket and the timing gear wore through there were no signs of it failing like that. No weird noises or anything. The only thing that happened was that all of the sudden I noticed the temp gauge was high so I pulled over and shut off the engine. Coolant was spewing everywhere out of the overflow.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
What should he have inspected? It may not have been showing signs of it failing. When my 22r blew head gasket and the timing gear wore through there were no signs of it failing like that. No weird noises or anything. The only thing that happened was that all of the sudden I noticed the temp gauge was high so I pulled over and shut off the engine. Coolant was spewing everywhere out of the overflow.
You can tell if the timing chain has been broken through the guides and is wearing on the timing cover. It doesn't wear through the sides of the timing cover in a day
Old 04-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #23
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The timing chain doesn't wear through the guides until well north of 200K if serviced correctly. And that can be fixed easily by installing metal guides. I don't believe this is a discussion of what motor can last 400K miles without major service. Although the 22RE has fit that bill for multiple people as well.
Yes this is a discussion on what engine is best, I don't see how the 22re would fit that because it is very underpowered and has those problems. Though it is still a good engine.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #24
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
So far I like the 4.0 V6....But if I were to get into a Tundra it would be the 5.7.....My cousin says that Toyota has a large pickup diesel in development for the Tundra line....
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes the 22RE is the best engine ever
Fixed.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:56 PM   #26
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can tell if the timing chain has been broken through the guides and is wearing on the timing cover. It doesn't wear through the sides of the timing cover in a day
So someone should check their timing chain every day to make sure the guides haven't worn through? I thought this was the best, most reliable engine. Who is really going to check their timing chain guide frequently? Timing chains and belts are supposed to last a long time before needing replaced, more specifically timing chains so checking them frequently doesn't make much sense.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
4Runner Pilot

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So someone should check their timing chain every day to make sure the guides haven't worn through? I thought this was the best, most reliable engine. Who is really going to check their timing chain guide frequently? Timing chains and belts are supposed to last a long time before needing replaced, more specifically timing chains so checking them frequently doesn't make much sense.
As someone previously said. The toyota maintenance interval recommends removing the valve cover every 15K to inspect valves and timing chain.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #29
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Fixed.

You mad cause I don't think the 22r/22re is the greatest engine ever
Old 04-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
4Runner Pilot

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You mad cause I don't think the 22r/22re is the greatest engine ever
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #31
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #32
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
my trucks engine is quite nice, i mean so far so good at 85k miles i dont mean to be rude but when you ask the best engine- i mean it really depends on how you use it- r u using it from home> work < or are you into mudding and rock climbing and such? that takes a lot of torture on the engine you know. just my two cents.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #33
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
The 22r was a great engine.
I beat the ever loving snot out of my 87 and it just kept going.

And so far I am loving the 4.0.
Only time will tell if it will be the stuff of legend but, so far, in 95K miles I have never had one issue with it.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As someone previously said. The toyota maintenance interval recommends removing the valve cover every 15K to inspect valves and timing chain.
Yup, one helluva motor.

I'll stick with the V6. More power means less stress to do the same amount of work as the 4 banger.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #35
06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDsport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
06TRDsport's Tacoma Gallery
22REs are definately dirty tough motors but I think the 5VZ is my pick for the best. The crap I've seen my brothers take in its 270K miles is absurd. Right now it has 180K miles on the timing belt that he is getting ready to replace, but other than the original timing and serpentine belts, nothing has ever been replaced on it. Hell its never even had the valves adjusted and they have yet to make any noise indicating wear on the cams or valves.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #36
Sconnie
mudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shedmudthedoor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
mudthedoor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco52 View Post
What toyota engine is the best?
im a new member and tried searching and came up useless so i started a thread.
start a poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #37
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 22RE powering my 6000# 87 Toyota motor home it ain't fast but it gets me there the chain will rattle like mad before they damage the case you'll know and they really are't known for having gasket problems that being said the 2.7 is also a great 4 cylinder just sold my old one with 248K on it with zero issues not so much as a oil leak and it has a good bit more power then the 22RE.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #38
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
x5 on the 22re, but thats not gonna be in any moderately new truck

x6
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #39
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Poll added...
Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #40
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I voted the 1RZ-FE as its a tank, proven to go well over 400k miles, lots of torque, and runs SOOOoooo smooth.