Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Which toyota truck engine is the best

View Poll Results: Which Toyota truck engine is the best?
22RE 65 37.79%
3RZ-FE 7 4.07%
2RZ-FE 5 2.91%
2TR-FE 9 5.23%
5VZ-FE 23 13.37%
1GR-FE 29 16.86%
2UZ-FE 2 1.16%
3UR-FE 2 1.16%
1FZ-FE 4 2.33%
WTF is an Engine? 26 15.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #41
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think this question can be answered, because there's no way to compare an engine that's been around for 25 years to one that's been around for 10 or 5. Fact is we just don't know how well newer engines will turn out. Some 20 years from now, the 1GR-FE might have earned legendary status. We just don't know. Everything mechanical is that way. Some things prove great initially only to blow apart at year 10. Some sort of suck at the beginning, but once they break in, they go forever. Time will tell.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #42
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
How come I see a black guy in an orange prison jumpsuit on the homepage when this is titled "which toyota truck engine is the best"?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #43
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yes, but that is why you would inspect the plastic timing chain guides to see if they are broken every 15k miles when you had the valve cover off to adjust the valves...

I don't recall 22REs having head gasket problems? I thought that was the 3.0s only?
I was getting the 22res having head gasket problems from this thread on yotatech.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #44
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derpy Derek View Post
How come I see a black guy in an orange prison jumpsuit on the homepage when this is titled "which toyota truck engine is the best"?

Its TW. If there were a picture of an engine, nobody would click on it.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #45
808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed808matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
808matt's Tacoma Gallery
2jzgtte
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #46
gpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
gpend5.7sport's Tacoma Gallery
3urfe! but then again that is the biggest one toyota makes and gets shit mileage also a fairly young engine but it is easy to work on and makes a nice bit of hp and torque, but you gotta get the tundra to get it mang.
but 22r otherwise
Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #47
BritMike will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
BritMike's Tacoma Gallery
2RZ-FE. Abused the crap out of it for 200k and it never missed a beat (would have been more but someone hit the truck and it got totalled)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #48
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I voted the 1RZ-FE as its a tank, proven to go well over 400k miles, lots of torque, and runs SOOOoooo smooth.
Not calling you out. Just trying to clarify - do you mean 2 or 3RZ-FE? I can't find any information on a 1RZ-FE in American toyotas
Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #49
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
Not calling you out. Just trying to clarify - do you mean 2 or 3RZ-FE? I can't find any information on a 1RZ-FE in American toyotas
The 1FZ is the 4.5L striaght 6 in the FJ80's I think I listed it wrong in the poll....
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #50
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
The 1FZ is the 4.5L striaght 6 in the FJ80's I think I listed it wrong in the poll....
Gas or diesel?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #51
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malander View Post
Gas or diesel?
Gas.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #52
tacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoteacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoteacher's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish020 View Post
So far I like the 4.0 V6....But if I were to get into a Tundra it would be the 5.7.....My cousin says that Toyota has a large pickup diesel in development for the Tundra line....
Sweeeeeeeet. Now that's an engine to watch for. Hopefully diesel fuel will come down in price........
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #53
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish020 View Post
So far I like the 4.0 V6....But if I were to get into a Tundra it would be the 5.7.....My cousin says that Toyota has a large pickup diesel in development for the Tundra line....
Where did he hear this? All of the articles I have read said that the tundra diesel has been delayed indefinitely. The only articles that say the tundra will have a diesel engine soon are articles from 2007 and 2008.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #54
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
22r/e is the best. however the only toyota truck engine i wouldn't buy is the 3.0, even though i've seen guys get good use out of them with the occational head gasket replacement. The important thing is that whatever you buy you should be covered if its a toyota, I think its funny that the toyota communitity looks down on engines that have a hard time breaking 250K, but I think it is pretty rare to see a domestic make it that far haha.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #55
gpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedgpend5.7sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the diesel if it even happens will come out in 2014 along with some minor body changes. but with how diesel is going along with the epa screwing them over i doubt deisel will happen for toyota though
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #56
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel toyota has become a "I'll believe it when I see it" and I can't believe more people aren't the same way. That type of news I won't believe unless it comes directly from a toyota press release. No one else knows anything as much as they love to speculate.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #57

tundra hq posted that story about the diesel... im not speculating, i just read it on tundratalk and tundrageeks. it is pretty much cancelled thanks to diesel prices and epa though
Old 04-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #58
4Runner Pilot

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpend5.7sport View Post
tundra hq posted that story about the diesel... im not speculating, i just read it on tundratalk and tundrageeks. it is pretty much cancelled thanks to diesel prices and epa though
I realize that. But are the stories not dated 2007 or 2008?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #59
Irish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIrish020 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Irish020's Tacoma Gallery
My cousin is a Toyota Master Mechanic and said it is still in development...maybe on the back burner now with fuel prices....but they had plans to enter the Super Duty class....