Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Which toyota truck engine is the best

View Poll Results: Which Toyota truck engine is the best?
22RE 65 37.79%
3RZ-FE 7 4.07%
2RZ-FE 5 2.91%
2TR-FE 9 5.23%
5VZ-FE 23 13.37%
1GR-FE 29 16.86%
2UZ-FE 2 1.16%
3UR-FE 2 1.16%
1FZ-FE 4 2.33%
WTF is an Engine? 26 15.12%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
01 5 speed
taco52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Which toyota truck engine is the best

What toyota engine is the best?
im a new member and tried searching and came up useless so i started a thread.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
22re
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
22re
x2
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
give us some perspective here. are you looking to buy one for your or somebody's car or truck? or is it just you want peoples personal opinions?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
01 5 speed
taco52 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trevor
taco52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
give us some perspective here. are you looking to buy one for your or somebody's car or truck? or is it just you want peoples personal opinions?
Well to be honost both. I am looking to buy a truck soon but i was also wondering opinions. I just wanted to know what ya think.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrider View Post
22re
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
x2
X3 It's bulletproof and super easy to work on. Not the most powerful thing in the world but that can be fixed if it really bothers you.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ_TRD View Post
X3 It's bulletproof and super easy to work on. Not the most powerful thing in the world but that can be fixed if it really bothers you.
x4
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I think the 1st gen 4 cylinders are better than the old 22re. The 22re had problems with the timing chain wearing through the guide then wearing through the timing chain cover mixing coolant and oil. They also had some head gasket problems too. I have an 87' sitting around with the 22r and the timing chain wore through the guides, then through the cover and also blew a head gasket. That's why its sitting. The 3.4 V6 is also a great engine. Has a good amount of power, has the availability of superchargers, and is proven to be reliable.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I think the 1st gen 4 cylinders are better than the old 22re. The 22re had problems with the timing chain wearing through the guide then wearing through the timing chain cover mixing coolant and oil. They also had some head gasket problems too. I have an 87' sitting around with the 22r and the timing chain wore through the guides, then through the cover and also blew a head gasket. That's why its sitting. The 3.4 V6 is also a great engine. Has a good amount of power, has the availability of superchargers, and is proven to be reliable.
The timing chain doesn't wear through the guides until well north of 200K if serviced correctly. And that can be fixed easily by installing metal guides. I don't believe this is a discussion of what motor can last 400K miles without major service. Although the 22RE has fit that bill for multiple people as well.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, but that is why you would inspect the plastic timing chain guides to see if they are broken every 15k miles when you had the valve cover off to adjust the valves...

I don't recall 22REs having head gasket problems? I thought that was the 3.0s only?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #13
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The timing chain doesn't wear through the guides until well north of 200K if serviced correctly. And that can be fixed easily by installing metal guides. I don't believe this is a discussion of what motor can last 400K miles without major service. Although the 22RE has fit that bill for multiple people as well.
the guides don't typically go 200k, more like 120-150k. still a great motor.

My vote goes to the 5VZ-FE though just because it makes pretty good power for it's size and is very reliable. Only drawback is the fact that it has a timing belt.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
Taco.Tim is on a distinguished road

Name: Tim
Taco.Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty close estimate on 200,000 miles

Quote:

Had a 22R in a 1984 5-speed. Got 193,000 and it blew a head gasket. Drove it about 70 miles home, adding water a couple of times. Had been leaking excessive oil, and found out when taking it apart chain had worn a hole through the timing cover. Had a heck of a time welding it back, but it was still good when I donated the truck to No Longer Bound at 260,000 miles. That's pretty darn good in my book.

Tim Glover
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
4Runner Pilot

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco.Tim View Post
Had a 22R in a 1984 5-speed. Got 193,000 and it blew a head gasket. Drove it about 70 miles home, adding water a couple of times. Had been leaking excessive oil, and found out when taking it apart chain had worn a hole through the timing cover. Had a heck of a time welding it back, but it was still good when I donated the truck to No Longer Bound at 260,000 miles. That's pretty darn good in my book.

Tim Glover
Doesn't sound like it was inspected correctly if the timing chain got that bad.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
My engine is the best Toyota truck engine.

(knock on wood and fingers crossed)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
4Runner Pilot

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I do enjoy my 1GR-FE as well. Great power, relatively easy to do basic maintenance on (especially oil changes), smooth running at idle and max RPM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yes, but that is why you would inspect the plastic timing chain guides to see if they are broken every 15k miles when you had the valve cover off to adjust the valves...

I don't recall 22REs having head gasket problems? I thought that was the 3.0s only?
You don't have to worry about that with the newer I4s and the newer I4s have been proven to be very reliable and produce significantly more power. Yes I know the 3.0s have the head gasket problem, but I've heard of the 22res having head gasket problems too. I'll see if I can find where I read that.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #20
4Runner Pilot

YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't have to worry about that with the newer I4s and the newer I4s have been proven to be very reliable and produce significantly more power. Yes I know the 3.0s have the head gasket problem, but I've heard of the 22res having head gasket problems too. I'll see if I can find where I read that.
Every engine in existence that has an iron block and aluminum head(s) will have head gasket issues at some point or another. Blowing a head gasket is not the measure of a terrible engine.