Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Bestop Supertop

Old 05-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #21
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFun View Post
I've had one for about 6 months now and still love the thing. Here is a short break down.

Pro
1) Collapses in minutes in warm weather.
2) Reasonably waterproof, no major leaks yet.
3) Versitility (cannot be overstated!)
4) Quiet at highway speeds
5) Light weight.

Con
1) Windows are heavily tinted! Visibility is limited at night.
2) Difficult if not impossible to manipulate in cold weathe
3) Looks (subjective)
4) Potential lack of security

I was sold on it's versatility and price. Worthwhile investment if you are honest about your usage and understand it's limitations.
What he said.I paid $300 used for mine and loved
Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #22
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
true. but how does it close shut? any room for like a padlock or something?
Interesting idea... The clearances are pretty tight but I'm sure something could be rigged up. I'm not sure how effective overall it would be as you could get around a lock by simply taking a knife to the roof. At a minimum it may discourage a impulse theft.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #23
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
if that doesnt work streetsideauto.com has them for $490 after discount code for $55 off.. i set mine up in 55 degrees yesterday, everything went fine except the inch between the side window zippers. i just waited till lunch at work today and made sure it was parked in the sun. I'll be camping in the rain this weekend so i'll let you know how it goes but after seeing it first hand finally i would recommend it to anyone

as you can see, just the side zippers won't close in the cold, material needs to stretch quite a bit more..
Old 05-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #24
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
No real way of securing the top with a lock of some sort... the windows can be zipped out in a flash. Anyway who wants to take something from the bed can just take a knife to the windows... in seconds they'll have anything they want. I don't keep anything in the bed on a routine basis.

RECOMMENDATION: For new owners or prospective buyers... call Bestop customer service (Tonia--great lady), and give her the part number of the top and ask her to ship you two extra bed clamps that fit our rails. I did and those extra clamps have made all the difference. I think it cost my $18 with shipping. Well worth it.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #25
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
No real way of securing the top with a lock of some sort... the windows can be zipped out in a flash. Anyway who wants to take something from the bed can just take a knife to the windows... in seconds they'll have anything they want. I don't keep anything in the bed on a routine basis.

RECOMMENDATION: For new owners or prospective buyers... call Bestop customer service (Tonia--great lady), and give her the part number of the top and ask her to ship you two extra bed clamps that fit our rails. I did and those extra clamps have made all the difference. I think it cost my $18 with shipping. Well worth it.
i was just trying to fit some random clamps i had in the garage on there, does that velcro really come undone that easily? or just after wear and tear/dirt?
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #26
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
My Velcro is holding just fine. I haven't even thought about needing supplemental clamps.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #27
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
The velcro just didn't seem like a long term solution for me... in the 100+ degree days in Texas, all outdoor glues and adhesives tend to become weak over time. The two extra clamps made for our rails just made sense for the money. They arrived 2 days after my order.

I didn't want to take a chance of the velcro becoming dis-bonded while driving at high speed, having the effin' Bestop fill up with air like a damn balloon and being ripped halfway off my truck before I could pull over. Call me extra cautious.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleeharris View Post
The velcro just didn't seem like a long term solution for me... in the 100+ degree days in Texas, all outdoor glues and adhesives tend to become weak over time. The two extra clamps made for our rails just made sense for the money. They arrived 2 days after my order.
cool thanks
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #29
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
i was just trying to fit some random clamps i had in the garage on there, does that velcro really come undone that easily? or just after wear and tear/dirt?
The "glue" side if the Velcro pulled free from edge of my front bedside. It was flopping around pretty good against my back window at speed. I needed a quick fix before a road trip. I picked up a thin strip if aluminum and a handful of 1 inch "c-clamps." works like a champ and was 5 bucks cheaper than a new strip of Velcro.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #30
tahoe_babbs will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
tahoe_babbs's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. I put mine on last fall. The first time putting it on was a bit of a pain since my directions sucked. Who needs those anyways right? ha ha. Other than that it has been great. It folds down in a matter of minutes (but the windows have to go some where when down). It takes a minute or two more to put the windows back on but it gets easier with practice and a few tricks. I had it on all winter and had it in a couple of snow storms and held up great! The only part that I found to leak water is the foam that goes in between the shell and bed plastic. It hasn't ever been that much though (and it could have been somewhat related to the condensation from the dogs back there breathing). This summer I will have the windows off most of the time for the dogs to hang out under and get some air. As others have said, it is hard to see details out of the back window but you can see (mostly). I also have a rear camera for backing up so that helps. And just remember that you can't mount a rack on top of this type of canapy (unlike the canvas back). Security - not so secure so watch what you leave back there. Get a lock for the tailgate handle and that may detour a theif, but like anything else locks only slow them down if they really want to get in. All in all, its a great buy!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #31
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I put some screws on the front of my bed.fuk that velcro
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #32

[QUOTE=tahoe_babbs;3227791] And just remember that you can't mount a rack on top of this type of canapy (unlike the canvas back) [QUOTE]

there is a rack that you can mount with the supertop, its just two a-frames on either side and two crossbars, i couldnt find the thread i saw it on, im short on time, but it does exist if thats a big downfall for anyone. i think it was like $300 tho
Old 05-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #33
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Good tips on the front velco part! I didnt even think about the glue comming undone in the summer.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #34

So.... it rained, my bed is very wet.. wtf ha i sealed it up good or so i thought. Anyone else? Im highly disappointed if its just that leaky. Main purpose was camping
Old 05-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #35
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
where was it leaking from?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #36

I looked again as im running between appointments. Its on the entire bed so idk but there's some condensation on the clear window.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #37
snickelfrits is on a distinguished road

snickelfrits's Tacoma Gallery
how in depth is the insatall of these bestop supertops...? Looks great on the Tacos!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickelfrits View Post
how in depth is the insatall of these bestop supertops...? Looks great on the Tacos!
Got a couple wrenches n a razor blade?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
tahoe_babbs will become famous soon enough
Name: Ryan
tahoe_babbs's Tacoma Gallery
relatively easy to install. just clamps to the side rails and a little velcro up front.
as far as the water coming in... there are those two corners up by the front window that could be letting it in. probably just soaking in through the foam. was the truck just sitting when it leaked or whle driving?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #40
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
im waiting for the guy to find the clamps so i can buy it. he lost them so no deal til we figure that out