Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Installation of my Gibson exhaust and review

Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 PM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
Installation of my Gibson exhaust and review

Hey guys!

I installed my Gibson exhaust today and must say I love it! It is not too loud and sounds just right IMO. Here are a few comparison pictures of the stock vs. Gibson. I forgot to snap some photos if the finished install but it wasn't to hard to do myself took about an hour or so... The biggest part was trying to get the stock exhaust out from under the truck by myself without cutting it.

Oh also... does anybody know if I can get any $ for my stock exhaust? Recycle the metal for $?

You can see that the new exhaust is a much more straight through exhaust. I have a better throttle response with the new exhaust. If I had a camera with sound I would take some clips for you guys but my iPhone only takes photos lol.

The only other engine mod I am running is a drop in K&N Filter. Debating if I should leave it alone or go TRD CAI or Volant CAI.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Also I will take some photos of it on the truck tomorrow so you guys can see it installed.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
damn those are clear pics for a phone! glad to hear you like the exhaust..... cant wait for mine to finally come.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
damn those are clear pics for a phone! glad to hear you like the exhaust..... cant wait for mine to finally come.
iPhone = shiznit! What kind did you order? were you the one waiting for the JBA one? (I think it was JBA)
Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
iPhone = shiznit! What kind did you order? were you the one waiting for the JBA one? (I think it was JBA)
yep, you got me
Old 10-06-2008, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
yep, you got me
Well good luck with your install if your doing it yourself. It's fun and fairly easy.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Well good luck with your install if your doing it yourself. It's fun and fairly easy.
probably 1/2 hour, right?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 PM   #8

Quote:
probably 1/2 hour, right?
Well it took me a touch longer because I didn't want to scratch the new one at all. About 1-1.5 hours total with removing of the stock one. I am kind of a perfectionist though so that probably didn't help much. haha
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #9

i understand, i dont wanna mess mine up either but its under the truck and its gonna get beat up from rocks and whatever else off road on mine so its not quite that big for me. i will however make sure that it is all aligned and torqued perfectly.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #10

PS. you can probably get rid of the HID group buy info in your sig. lol, just a little FYI i noticed. also, do you have the 3-leaf Wheeler's aal? if so- i was thinking of getting it, how does it ride and how much lift did you get out of it?
Old 10-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #11

Quote:
i understand, i dont wanna mess mine up either but its under the truck and its gonna get beat up from rocks and whatever else off road on mine so its not quite that big for me. i will however make sure that it is all aligned and torqued perfectly.
Yea I aligned everything perfectly I must say I am happy with the turnout I will post some pics tomorrow it looks really good.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:54 PM   #12
PwRTRIp_Xr is on a distinguished road
PwRTRIp_Xr's Tacoma Gallery
Post sound clip bro, wanna hear it.....
Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #13

Quote:
PS. you can probably get rid of the HID group buy info in your sig. lol, just a little FYI i noticed. also, do you have the 3-leaf Wheeler's aal? if so- i was thinking of getting it, how does it ride and how much lift did you get out of it?
Haha good idea i forgot about that... Yea they are just the single AAL not the progressive full 3 leaf pack. So I am running the 3 stock with 1 aal. Runs good strong and holds a lot of weight back there. Truck is at level sometimes a touch higher in the rear since I am at 2.5" in the front. Going to switch my front setup to OME 884's soon though to get a full 3" in the front.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwRTRIp_Xr View Post
Post sound clip bro, wanna hear it.....
I wish I could... don't have a camera to do so.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #15

Quote:
I wish I could... don't have a camera to do so.
a friend's maybe?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #16

Quote:
a friend's maybe?
Haha I will see if I can find someone that has one... maybe I can use a friends phone that does video as well... (might not sound as well tho)
Old 10-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #17
uuc328 is on a distinguished road

uuc328's Tacoma Gallery
ohhh, looks good.
details on the pipe please.
same size diameter?
price and where to buy?
you gonna put the stainless tip on the gibson?
is that ceramic coat or just palin old paint?

i want to do exhaust and Thorley headers real bad
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuc328 View Post
ohhh, looks good.
details on the pipe please.
same size diameter?
price and where to buy?
you gonna put the stainless tip on the gibson?
is that ceramic coat or just palin old paint?

i want to do exhaust and Thorley headers real bad
Pipe is 2.5"
same size diameter
price is cheap for me wholesale
i did put the stainless tip on after the install i'll post some pics later
i dont understand this one all I know is the exhaust is Aluminized and the tip is polished aluminum.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #19
05DoubleTaco is on a distinguished road

05DoubleTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I hated my Gibson exhaust.

Sounded better than stock, but wasn't that impressed.

After 1.5years, it was rusted, developing holes everywhere around the muffler from rust.

The price was great, that's it...

Hope yours works out better than my experience.

Now, I'm a magnaflow fan. Now, thats a true performance sound.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05DoubleTaco View Post
I hated my Gibson exhaust.

Sounded better than stock, but wasn't that impressed.

After 1.5years, it was rusted, developing holes everywhere around the muffler from rust.

The price was great, that's it...

Hope yours works out better than my experience.

Now, I'm a magnaflow fan. Now, thats a true performance sound.
I agree with the magnaflow, I had one on my old X-Runner and it def sounded bad ass!