Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Banks Monster Exhaust for 4.0L Access Cab

Old 06-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Night's Tacoma Gallery
Banks Monster Exhaust for 4.0L Access Cab

I recently purchased and installed a monster exhaust which I am loving.

Truck: TRD Off-road V6 4.0L Access Cab

Installation:

Pretty well the same as any other CAT-Back exhaust system.
I found the installation went pretty smooth with 2 people(The truck was not jacked up just normal). I ran into a few problems with positioning and considering welding it together so I can move the clamps elsewhere. My biggest problem with the install is where the tail pipe sat and I am worrying about it rubbing on the end of my leaf of my rear axle. (I believe this problem is fixable just the intermediate pipe is too long(?))

Rating out of 10: 8 Pretty straight, just harder for 1 person.

Sound:

Deep, loud, and it rumbles.
Idle is pretty silent rumble starts at around 1200 RPM's +.
Cruising pretty silent as well
Accelerating deep, loud drone in the cabin. Near shifts into next gear it silents down.
Cabin drone (Not really annoying), great sounding none the less. Outside deep, and throaty. Besides the cabin drone, I love the sound.

Sound out of 10: 9 Love the deepness and rumbling, not raspy at all(I love the cabin drone but drone might be a problem for some people)

Style/Material:
All stainless besides hangers which are mild steel. Muffler is polished stainless and is really nice(I didn't want to put it under my truck)
Love the tip it makes the truck look like a beast and is a nice accent/finishing touch for those who like tips. 3" piping throughout and a 4" polished tip with rolled edge and welded on.

Out of 10: 9.5 Only thing more I would want is stainless hangers. Can do without though.

Overall: 9

Recap: Cabin drone I don't mind(might bother others)
Would rather for them to give the length to cut the intermediate pipe for all the various lengths of tacoma's so there wasn't so much adjusting and trimming.
Would be a nice touch for stainless hangers (And the poor polished muffle I had to put under my truck *shinny*)

I have no idea about power gains/loses

I think it is defiently worth the investment who like rumble to their ride.
I would never suggest this to people who like quiet though because they would come back to me for a refund haha.

Thanks for reading.

Love my banks

I will try to get a sound clips of the in cab and outside for the exhaust and some pictures
Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up
Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet.. just looking at this kit for my truck, was debating the MBRP or Magnaflow, now i came across the Banks and searched it...and found your write up.. would love to hear some sound clips if possible. Thanks, and great write up!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Night is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shedNight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Night's Tacoma Gallery
I will probably get some sound clips after it stops pouring rain. I would defiantly suggest the exhaust as the sound grows on you and it quietens down a lot.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
you should post up a video so we can hear it!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have it too. I love it and I hate it. I'll have to paint the hangers one day though.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #7
DonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to beholdDonL is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Boatswain's Mate
Name: Don
DonL's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the same set up for a couple of years and still love it!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #9

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcan View Post
Did you cut the intermediate pipe on the muffler end back 13 1/4" as listed in the instructions? I would love to hear it.
Sadly, it did not come with the length for Access cabs in my book. I think I cut it at 37 1/2 from the neck. Don't take my word for it lol
Old 06-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
My vid here. The system was still new at the time of the video and I used a point a shoot camera set to video mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv=IYR2VJGSH2o
Old 06-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #11

Night's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
My vid here. The system was still new at the time of the video and I used a point a shoot camera set to video mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv=IYR2VJGSH2o
Mine sits lower because right were my pipe comes out its right on the end of the strut
Old 06-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
Mine sits lower because right were my pipe comes out its right on the end of the strut
Banks did the install since it was a test fit. I never really looks at adjusting it. When the suspension is at full droop the leaf pack hits the pipe.