1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

good tools

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by samsung, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Jun 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    samsung

samsung [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner doublecab TRD Offroad
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
    hey guys, i'm ordering my ome lift set up next week and planning on installing them myself. I don't have a torque wrench or a floor jack. I just bought some torin 4 ton jack stand. can any body here suggest a good torque wrench and floor jack for our truck? I don't want to spend a lot of money on these, I know that you get what you pay for. I'm just looking for some reliable at a good price for my needs. thanks for all TW members.

2. Jun 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    CaptainFun

CaptainFun That Guy

Member:
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab 4x4
    A simple jack and stands set from sears (aka craftsman) should be fine. Just make sure they are rated for the appropriate weight and you use them safely. There is usually as sale on them every so often.

I can't comment on the torque wrenches hopefully someone will chime in.

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    undercover lid/Ipod integration kit/Pop n lock/bed rug, fumoto drain valve, full piping Wet Okole covers, Blacked out badges, Lamin-X fog light cover yellow, window tint, ARB deluxe bumper with fog light kit,DSM UCA'S,3 support shrockworks sliders,complete OME lift with 886X coil and dakar leaf spring with 3 degree axle shims and center pin lenghtener,warn VR10000 winch,amsteele blue synthetic rope, daystar winch isolator, daystar delrin rollers, IPF 900xs Extreme Driving H9 Kit 900XSD (900XSD),Horn on fire with shot Penning,
  4. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Dude he already bought the jack stands. He needs a floor jack. I like this one cause its lightweight but just about any floor jack will work

5. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:27 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    MIT makes great tools.

proto is up there too.

snapon/mac/cornwell are caddilacs

but it's all craftsman for me.

never a problem.

6. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM
    Superx2

Superx2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Iowa
    craftsman. champion, which craftsman makes.

7. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    Remember to check how High the Floor Jack will lift. I just found out the other day that the 3 ton Jack I have wont lift a Tire off the Ground when I Lift up on the Frame Rails. I was Kind of Floored.

8. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    for the torque wrench, i use a 1/2in drive and it works perfect.

9. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    get a 1/2" drive kobalt torque wrench from lowes, lifetime warranty unlike craftsman.

I have a cheapo harbor freight floor jack that works great.

10. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    Cr250jumper

Cr250jumper Señor member

Member:
    The moon
    Vehicle:
    50 shades of tan©
    Tacoma with some stuff melted to it
    Haha I was gonna say that too but I fugered with a stock truck he would be fine lol. I have normal size 3 ton jack that wont even touch my frame rails. My frame sits almost 18" off the ground at ride height.

11. Jun 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    it looks like 1/2 inch for the torque wrench. does anybody know what is the biggest size socket i'm going to need on my ome setup?

12. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    remember to set the torque wrench back to ZERO when you are finished with it. My Craftsman torque wrench is 1/2 inch deive. It's been a good tool when I rebuilt my 1971 VW motor where the torques were in the 40LB range for aluminum heads into a magnesiom case(block) and works great for my wheels when I torque them when I do a rotation. (90 ft lbs) . It does have a plastic locking ring. Once you set desired torque, you lock the ring so there is no variation in the measurements. The really good ones have an aluminum locking ring(MAtCo,Snap on come to mind). My craftsman torque wrench locking ring broke out of the blue. So i went to Sears to get it fixed. NOPE. It wasn't covered. I asked why, being a Craftsman hand tool and that is why we buy your tools for the warranty. Never got good answer and never bought another tool from them. Look into HEYCO out of west germany Great tools along with Matco Snap on and Blue Point all have good customer service.

13. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:16 PM
    samsung

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Vehicle:
    that's what i thought about craftsman tools. I have a flat head screwdriver that the tip broke, i will take it back and see what they say. Now for the Heyco torque wrench that you're talking about, where can i get those online only? Thanks for the good info you gave me.

14. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Craftsman is good bang-for-buck when it comes to tools. For most of us, they're plenty well made.

If I had the $$$ to blow, I'd own all Snap-On in a heart beat. But that's just too rich for my blood, at least until the truck gets paid off.

15. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:25 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Snap-On makes great stuff.

16. Jun 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Feh. Craftsman tools used to be a cut above for hand tools. Now they're only as good as any of half a dozen inexpensive brands.

Iirc, they've replaced their lifetime warranty with one of those limited warranties that requires you hang onto your receipt, too.

17. Jun 23, 2011 at 3:12 AM
    hotrod45

hotrod45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    sarasota fl
    Vehicle:
    16 sr 5 access cab
    i've used craftsman for years. torque wrench still going strong as well as the floor jack. when you break a tool from snapon or the like, and your project is up in the air unfinished, it is difficult to find the truck. you'll know where sears is

18. Jun 23, 2011 at 4:55 AM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I'm sure if you turn wrenches for a living then the tool truck ones are the way to go,and like hotrod45 said, it's not always easy to find a tool truck when you need one, I was just less than pleased with sears on their tool waranty nowadays. the Heyco tools I have I got from a mechanic friend of mine, where he got them...I have no idea. In all honesty if you only plan on using the torque wrench on ocasion, you will be fine with craftsman or kobalt, or any one from a autoparts store. I was just venting about a bad experience I had, good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top