Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

good tools

Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
good tools

hey guys, i'm ordering my ome lift set up next week and planning on installing them myself. I don't have a torque wrench or a floor jack. I just bought some torin 4 ton jack stand. can any body here suggest a good torque wrench and floor jack for our truck? I don't want to spend a lot of money on these, I know that you get what you pay for. I'm just looking for some reliable at a good price for my needs. thanks for all TW members.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
A simple jack and stands set from sears (aka craftsman) should be fine. Just make sure they are rated for the appropriate weight and you use them safely. There is usually as sale on them every so often.

I can't comment on the torque wrenches hopefully someone will chime in.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainFun View Post
A simple jack and stands set from sears (aka craftsman) should be fine. Just make sure they are rated for the appropriate weight and you use them safely. There is usually as sale on them every so often.

I can't comment on the torque wrenches hopefully someone will chime in.
Dude he already bought the jack stands. He needs a floor jack. I like this one cause its lightweight but just about any floor jack will work

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-p...html-7814.html
Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
MIT makes great tools.

proto is up there too.

snapon/mac/cornwell are caddilacs

but it's all craftsman for me.

never a problem.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
Superx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuperx2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joey
Superx2's Tacoma Gallery
craftsman. champion, which craftsman makes.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #7
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Remember to check how High the Floor Jack will lift. I just found out the other day that the 3 ton Jack I have wont lift a Tire off the Ground when I Lift up on the Frame Rails. I was Kind of Floored.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
for the torque wrench, i use a 1/2in drive and it works perfect.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
get a 1/2" drive kobalt torque wrench from lowes, lifetime warranty unlike craftsman.

I have a cheapo harbor freight floor jack that works great.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Ninja_Racer View Post
Remember to check how High the Floor Jack will lift. I just found out the other day that the 3 ton Jack I have wont lift a Tire off the Ground when I Lift up on the Frame Rails. I was Kind of Floored.
Haha I was gonna say that too but I fugered with a stock truck he would be fine lol. I have normal size 3 ton jack that wont even touch my frame rails. My frame sits almost 18" off the ground at ride height.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
remember to set the torque wrench back to ZERO when you are finished with it. My Craftsman torque wrench is 1/2 inch deive. It's been a good tool when I rebuilt my 1971 VW motor where the torques were in the 40LB range for aluminum heads into a magnesiom case(block) and works great for my wheels when I torque them when I do a rotation. (90 ft lbs) . It does have a plastic locking ring. Once you set desired torque, you lock the ring so there is no variation in the measurements. The really good ones have an aluminum locking ring(MAtCo,Snap on come to mind). My craftsman torque wrench locking ring broke out of the blue. So i went to Sears to get it fixed. NOPE. It wasn't covered. I asked why, being a Craftsman hand tool and that is why we buy your tools for the warranty. Never got good answer and never bought another tool from them. Look into HEYCO out of west germany Great tools along with Matco Snap on and Blue Point all have good customer service.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #13
samsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant futuresamsung has a brilliant future

Name: George
samsung's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
remember to set the torque wrench back to ZERO when you are finished with it. My Craftsman torque wrench is 1/2 inch deive. It's been a good tool when I rebuilt my 1971 VW motor where the torques were in the 40LB range for aluminum heads into a magnesiom case(block) and works great for my wheels when I torque them when I do a rotation. (90 ft lbs) . It does have a plastic locking ring. Once you set desired torque, you lock the ring so there is no variation in the measurements. The really good ones have an aluminum locking ring(MAtCo,Snap on come to mind). My craftsman torque wrench locking ring broke out of the blue. So i went to Sears to get it fixed. NOPE. It wasn't covered. I asked why, being a Craftsman hand tool and that is why we buy your tools for the warranty. Never got good answer and never bought another tool from them. Look into HEYCO out of west germany Great tools along with Matco Snap on and Blue Point all have good customer service.
that's what i thought about craftsman tools. I have a flat head screwdriver that the tip broke, i will take it back and see what they say. Now for the Heyco torque wrench that you're talking about, where can i get those online only? Thanks for the good info you gave me.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Craftsman is good bang-for-buck when it comes to tools. For most of us, they're plenty well made.

If I had the $$$ to blow, I'd own all Snap-On in a heart beat. But that's just too rich for my blood, at least until the truck gets paid off.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Feh. Craftsman tools used to be a cut above for hand tools. Now they're only as good as any of half a dozen inexpensive brands.

Iirc, they've replaced their lifetime warranty with one of those limited warranties that requires you hang onto your receipt, too.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #17
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

i've used craftsman for years. torque wrench still going strong as well as the floor jack. when you break a tool from snapon or the like, and your project is up in the air unfinished, it is difficult to find the truck. you'll know where sears is
Old 06-23-2011, 04:55 AM   #18
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure if you turn wrenches for a living then the tool truck ones are the way to go,and like hotrod45 said, it's not always easy to find a tool truck when you need one, I was just less than pleased with sears on their tool waranty nowadays. the Heyco tools I have I got from a mechanic friend of mine, where he got them...I have no idea. In all honesty if you only plan on using the torque wrench on ocasion, you will be fine with craftsman or kobalt, or any one from a autoparts store. I was just venting about a bad experience I had, good luck.