Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Perspectives on upcoming tonneau purchase

Old 06-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Kevotaco is just really niceKevotaco is just really niceKevotaco is just really niceKevotaco is just really nice
Name: Kevin
Kevotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Perspectives on upcoming tonneau purchase

Here's the situation, I'm planning on buying a bed cover, and I am trying to make a final decision on which cover to buy…

I have narrowed it down to G4 Elite Fold-a-cover, Bakflip G2, and the Extang Solid Fold. (I’m really not interested in the solid covers or the roll-up covers)

After reading multiple threads/reviews on each product I have come to the conclusion that each of the covers has their own respective pros and cons… and at the end of the day they are all essentially equal.

If my assumption from above is true, then I am leaning toward the G4, simply because you can access the panel directly behind the cab… this seems like something I would miss if I went with one of the other covers.

If you have experience with any of these covers (positive or negative) I would appreciate it if you shared your thoughts.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
proff49 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
proff49's Tacoma Gallery
Love my G4! Being able to open the front panel is a big plus. I also installed a Dynolock on the tailgate. With this I can either open the gate or the cover and leave the other closed. Without the Dynolock I would have to open the back panel of the cover to get the gate open. Check out the tacoma world members page at truckalterations.com (if they still have it). They had the G4 considerably cheaper than anywhere else I could find it.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I have a roll up so my opinion doesn't count but wanted to welcome a fellow virginia TW member
Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Kevotaco is just really niceKevotaco is just really niceKevotaco is just really niceKevotaco is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by proff49 View Post
Love my G4! Being able to open the front panel is a big plus. I also installed a Dynolock on the tailgate. With this I can either open the gate or the cover and leave the other closed. Without the Dynolock I would have to open the back panel of the cover to get the gate open. Check out the tacoma world members page at truckalterations.com (if they still have it). They had the G4 considerably cheaper than anywhere else I could find it.
Thanks for the info, question for you though. Do the locks automatically lock? In other words, would i be able to leave the fron panel closed but unlocked for easy access when i am doing work around the house... or do i need the key every time? Thanks!
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I have a roll up so my opinion doesn't count but wanted to welcome a fellow virginia TW member
Thanks! It's weird how I see other tacoma owners on the road and I wonder... are they on tacomaworld? It's a shame there's not a sticker or some way to identify other tacomaworld members when we are out driving around (maybe there is and i am just not aware of it!)
Old 06-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the access limited, roll up.

Mounts so that you still have use of rail system and can leave the sliding anchors in place.

I went through the same decision process back in December. For me it was cost vs function.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Firefighter:
proff49's Tacoma Gallery
You can leave it unlocked or locked. They don't automatically lock when closed.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
I went with the access limited, roll up.

Mounts so that you still have use of rail system and can leave the sliding anchors in place.

I went through the same decision process back in December. For me it was cost vs function.
Thanks for the advice! I'm willing to spend some money on it as long as it will last a few years. From the research i have done i see that the G4 allows you to maintain use of the sliding anchors. Have you heard otherwise?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Firefighter:
proff49's Tacoma Gallery
The G4 also allows the use of the rail system. There is an inch or so above the cleats with the cover closed.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by proff49 View Post
You can leave it unlocked or locked. They don't automatically lock when closed.
Excellent, did you install yours or did you have it installed professionally?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Firefighter:
proff49's Tacoma Gallery
Did it myself with a little help from my brother. I cut a cardboard box so it was at the same height as the side rails of the cover. This held the cover at its install height while I squared everything up and marked the location of the side rails. It was kinda like the cover sitting on a table. It worked really well. Without the box I couldn't keep the cover on the rails long enough to get everything square and marked. It kept falling inside the bed.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevotaco View Post
Thanks for the advice! I'm willing to spend some money on it as long as it will last a few years. From the research i have done i see that the G4 allows you to maintain use of the sliding anchors. Have you heard otherwise?
I think the g4 does have access to the rails (some covers do not). I was just saying that was important to me. Part of my roll up choice was still being able to see out the back and reach out the window when rolled up. I worried the fold ups might block me. (my dog rides in the back sometimes and I want to be able to talk to him and toss him dog cookies from time to time).
Old 06-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Wmdpowell: sounds like the roll-up fits your needs perfectly :-)
Old 06-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
PA Sniper is on a distinguished road

Name: Phil
PA Sniper's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed a G4

I just installed a G4 Elite last weekend. I looked at the Backflip but didn't want to give up functionality of the side rails for use of tie down cleats. I chose the G4 due to the ability to open from the front or rear, and the very secure locking system. I added a Pop N Lock tailgate lock over the Fold A Cover method.

Installation took about 4 hours with just a little help from a friend during the side rail placement. This is the most challenging step due to the tendency of the rails to lift and tilt inward when the weight of the cover is placed on it prior to securing them to the sides of the bed.

Had the truck out in the rain over the last few days. While I don't think any of these covers will be waterproof, I'm happy with the G4. During a light rain I saw no water in the bed. With a heavy downpour, the kind that forces you to pull off the road due to visibility issues, there was just a trickle down the side wall of the bed.

Overall I am happy with the G4.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Phrendo is on a distinguished road
Phrendo's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased the G4 and the DynoLock for the same reasons. I'll be installing them next week sometime. This install thread looks to be helpful.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...k-install.html