Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

GPS Help

Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
GPS Help

Looking to get a GPS and wondering which one
Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
snow dude is on a distinguished road

Name: Darius
snow dude's Tacoma Gallery
Garmin is good... I have had mine for about 4 years and it still works well.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
LDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shedLDurchy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LDurchy's Tacoma Gallery
I use Garmin. They also make them for aircraft so they practically invented the technology. I use Google Earth to find where I'm going, place the curser on the spot I want to go to. Where the curser shows on Google Earth, the window also shows the Earth Coordinates for that spot. Then you can manually key up those coordinates into Garmin & give it a name. Many places I want to find don't have addresses or even street intersections. I have seen as much as .4 mile error by using a street address. I like the wide screen and voice talking. Keeps me from forgetting turnoffs.
Good luck.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Captarm is on a distinguished road

Name: Armand
Captarm's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Garmin wide screen. love it. If you go that route get it with LTM/T life time map and traffic. The traffic aspect helped me out of a jam a few times.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
If you're primarily going to use it offroad, I'd recommend the Garmin Oregon 450.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
cmghoughton is on a distinguished road
Army: Ex Armor Crewmember
Name: Doug
cmghoughton's Tacoma Gallery
I used to use my Garmin Wide screen and loved it, but now that I bought a Pro Fit mount for my Incredible2 I have been using that. I get real time traffic from google and Wase, took a little while to get used to but I don't think I will go back to a stand alone gps.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Hubs is on a distinguished road
Hubs's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Garmin with the "lifetime" updates. You connect to your computer and Garmin loads in the latest maps they have AND they will notify you for new updates. Got mine from Costco with additional one year no questions asked warranty.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Sold it, dont miss it yet.
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
I have used all brands due to access to them at work and used in all different areas due to traveling and by far the garmin is the best.

Do not waste your time with the others. Updates are nice since people keep breading and roads are needed everywhere and the US is behind the ball. Also if you are in a heavily populated area they have higher end models that will divert you around traffic with up to the minute traffic sensor in it.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #9
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
OP - are you looking for a handheld GPS or an in-dash unit with GPS functionality? If you are looking for a handheld, I use a Garmin 62S which is super accurate and performs well. Just like others have said, no brand compares to Garmin overall.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #10
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RattleSnake44's Tacoma Gallery
With the maps/maps update on the Garmin, do you get Fire Road and US Park Service access roads marked? Kinda looking around and it's never in the product info.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleSnake44 View Post
With the maps/maps update on the Garmin, do you get Fire Road and US Park Service access roads marked? Kinda looking around and it's never in the product info.
I ended up with a gamin with lifetime map updates.
As for Fire Road and US Park Service access roads and other dirt roads some are on the map and some are not, some are marked and some are not.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleSnake44 View Post
Are you able to import topographical maps to your device? I get a lot of those roads on my topo maps (although the specific # isn't listed)
Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RattleSnake44's Tacoma Gallery
On my hand held I can. It's an old eTrex. I was looking to get a bigger display, like the nuvi or something similar. Just wondering if those kinda roads were gonna be available. Gonna head out to Best Buy today and finger f?!&k some and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the replies though.