Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Roll-N-Lock M-Series Tonneau

Old 08-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JFKLives's Tacoma Gallery
Roll-N-Lock M-Series Tonneau

A little over ten years ago I was introduced to the Roll-N-Lock tonneau for the first time at my dad's shop and I've wanted one ever since. It really doesn't seem to be a very common cover from what I've seen and good luck finding it on a Tacoma. At any rate, I just wanted to put together a quick review for those that have questions on this cover.

Main Unit

Roll-N-Lock's instructions are straight forward. I used the following for my double cab short bed but the rest can be found here. The additional pictures I'm attaching should only be used to support that document.

The box is rather large and even though it clearly states not to stack, my box was damaged during freight

Note the shiny part on the back of the main housing unit. There was a massive dent on the back of the unit where it lies up against the truck. In all honesty, I received the unit on Friday and didn't notice this until I arrived at home. From what I could tell, there didn't appear to be any mechanical problems with the housing and the dent would be facing the front of the bed too. Since nothing could be done until Monday, I proceeded with the installation, like any other man with a new toy would have done ...

For the most part, installation is rather easy. Roll-N-Lock makes great use of our rail system and those sheet metal cargo nuts really speeds things up.

Line up the bulk head adapter

Drop in the housing unit

Hopefully these shots of the track brackets is a little more clear than instructions provided. There are three of these on each side and they're clearly labeled for placement. Although they look the same, they are not - each sides has two bracket rails with shims / spacers glued onto the back on them. This is the only problem that I ran into and it did cause issues for me when it finally came time to shut the tail gate. In the end, I had to remove all of shims for the tailgate to shut correctly.

We're skipping over the instructions more towards the end, but this is the crucial part I was previously mentioning. Once rails are installed and the tailgate cover has been drilled, it's time to test out the tailgate. Carefully close your unit. Ensure all of the lines are squared up, as mentioned in "Step 4C Photo 20 of the installation guide, which looks to be an older version of the product. Here are two shots off my truck.

This is the drivers side end of the tailgate. Note bottom right of the 'rail' is at a very clean 90 degree angle with the top of the 'tailgate'.

This is the pasangers side view. Same thing going on here. You really want these to be as clean as possible for the lock to work correctly and last.

Once I installed the unit and removed the plastic protective cover, I discovered a major cosmetic flow on the housing lid. It's really hard to appreciate this dent from a photo

From this angle though, it's a little more clear

Another view on the dent inside the housing

Lighter for scale

Roll-N-Lock shipped me a new housing lid and I finally put it on over the weekend. Very happy with their customer service.

Cargo Manager

The cargo manager is a sliding divider to be used in conjunction with the Roll-N-Lock system. Honestly, I was on the fence with this one but it seemed like such an awesome idea. We all hate shit sliding around in the back of our bed ... anyone with a truck has run into this problem. Most of the time it acts a secure place for my laptop but here's a nice demonstration of a grocery run. When you need full use of the bed, the unit comes out fairly easy.

Conclusion

In the end, you have functional addition to your truck that rivals any other Tonneau venders on the market. Would I recommend this product to someone else? Yes. Does it look good? Yes. Am I happy with the purchase? Fuck yes!

Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
MJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonesTrumpet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Michael
MJonesTrumpet's Tacoma Gallery
very nice! I have an access lorado roll up cover that I love, however my future father-in-law almost put a hole in it this past weekend while we were all camping...I was looking at these before i ended up with the access lorado roll up cover, sometimes I'm sad I didnt go with the roll n lock. If you dont mind me asking...where did you get it from and how much did you pay? Thanks!

Oh and about how much bed space do you lose at the front of your bed because of that box. That was one of the reasons i decided against it, well, that and the price lol
Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Byte Me
JFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shedJFKLives is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I purchased it online. From what I can tell, they do not sell direct to customers and use resellers. You save a few hundred dollars buying it online vs any my local dealers that I found, although it might be worth while calling around shops near you. Price is steep, no question there but you get what you pay for ..

Roll N Lock Cargo Manager
Part#: -CM507
Quantity: 1
Price : $269.00
Options: Does Not Work With E Series
2010 Toyota Tacoma Fits Double Cab Short Bed (59.5 Inches)

Roll-N-Lock M-Series Tonneau Cover
Part#: -LG507M
Quantity: 1
Price : $1142.00
2010 Toyota Tacoma Fits Double Cab Short Bed (59.5 Inches) (Note 1)

Total: $1411.00
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $0.00
Tax: $0.00
Grand Total: $1411.00 <-- shipped
Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
mr2r6 will become famous soon enoughmr2r6 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kiel
mr2r6's Tacoma Gallery
I've got one on my truck. It's a must have if you carry tools and such in the back. It's so nice to be able to shut it and lock my ladder and tools in the bed. I like the low profile look and the fact it rolls up making it very easy to haul large items in the bed.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Scuzzlebutt is on a distinguished road
Scuzzlebutt's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a rollnlock with the bed extender? From looking at the rollnlock site, it says that the bed extender isn't compatible with it. My dealer says it'll work though...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Byte Me

I just read up on the installation of the bed extended at the following location:

http://www.toyotapart.com/2005-2010_...T329-35050.pdf

Cannot see compatibility issue with the Roll-N-Lock system. Guessing they're saying this to get you to buy their cargo manager. Just so long as the extender is least one inch under the bed rails, it shouldn't be a problem but it wouldn't hurt to call Roll-N-Lock directly to ask them why. They were very nice in my dealings.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Scuzzlebutt is on a distinguished road
Scuzzlebutt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. I'll give them a call to see what they say. I just picked up my 2012 over the weekend and had the dealer install the Roll-N-Lock. Loving both the truck and the Roll-N-Lock so far...
Old 11-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Byte Me

Oh, I would go with the sliding cargo manager - it's very helpful but really depends on what you plan on doing with the best.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
holokai is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is super old but just wanted to add in my $.02

Installed a Roll-N-Lock on my access cab today; more accurately re-installed it after starting the install last night.

My only advice besides what is listed above is to follow all of the steps in the EXACT order listed on the instructions. I had a friend helping me yesterday and we did a couple of the tightening sequences in parallel to save time. Big Mistake. The rails weren't loaded properly and the cover didn't retract on its own. Loosened everything this morning and retightened it in the exact sequence in the installation guide and the cover now works perfect.

*Note* The PDF version of the installation guide that I had didn't mention that the track brackets should be tightened from the rear to the front; though a youtube video I found did. This seemed to help a lot to maintain the proper track alignment.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
holokai is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
holokai's Tacoma Gallery
and just to add one more thing. my cover was working perfectly then for some reason started moving super slow and binding a lot. i was freaking out about the alignment probably triple checked everything before i thought to look at the tracks.

note to self: rubber has a high coefficient of friction and the tracks showed where there was excessive dragging. i wiped on a little of the vinyl protectant that came with the RnL and immediately, everything was back to normal. sometimes a little common sense and reading the "troubleshooting" section of the RnL site are all that you need. . .
Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
tired taco is on a distinguished road

tired taco's Tacoma Gallery
I just purchased my first Taco a month ago. its an 06. It came with the Roll n lock cover. And, so far Im likeing it. I had to uninstall it for worrk but i ended up re-installing it without Instructions. I really did not have too many problems thanks to you - tube. Anyway, i recommend to anyone thnking about making the purchase.