Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

N-Fab Prerunner light bar failure

Old 08-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
N-Fab Prerunner light bar failure

not so much a review, as a "what to look out for" until a redesign.
(N-fab is working with my buddy, so this is not an N-Fab flame)

i have a buddy that has had the N-Fab prerunner light bar fail on him as he was driving.

the failure is that it broke off at the supports that hold the bars up.

if the wires to the lights had not held it, it would have gone under the truck.... on the highway.

the weak point is the logo cut into the supports ...that is where it broke.

most recent pic i have of his truck (without light bar)
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Put a sock monkey sticker on it an send it down the road. He is lucky it didn't fly off and hit other cars and be forced to go thru ins.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
wow. maybe leave their logo off or use thicker steel for the support brackets. my nfab light bar does not have the logos on it and it has held up fine for about 3 years now.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
might be a dumb question, but why would you cut out a logo in the support anyways? isnt it supposed to support it? relocate the logo, to a non supporting part of the light bar. Good thing it didnt come all the way off.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
might be a dumb question, but why would you cut out a logo in the support anyways? isnt it supposed to support it? relocate the logo, to a non supporting part of the light bar. Good thing it didnt come all the way off.
Logo's are fine as long as they don't have 90° angles..........or any angles for that matter.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Logo's are fine as long as they don't have 90° angles..........or any angles for that matter.
but still, i dont get why you would make cuts into a support bar. just doesnt make sence imo, ive done some construction, but not metal fab...we generally didnt make cuts in anything that supports. Why cant they move it? Or etch it in? Etching wouldnt comprimise the integrity would it?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
How about makin the logo a sticker instead? Can't imagine why they'd have that hole and the logo cutout there. Why not just the logo cutout? That would have been even stronger than having just the hole there.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Notice it didn't break at the hole, but the logo. Having those sharp corners is poor engineering. The hole is typically added to reduce weight but in this instance it doesn't save much. Probably a marketing decision.

de-ci-sion-mak-er(di-sizhn-makr)n. One that makes decisions, especially one in a position of authority or power.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
but still, i dont get why you would make cuts into a support bar. just doesnt make sence imo, ive done some construction, but not metal fab...we generally didnt make cuts in anything that supports. Why cant they move it? Or etch it in? Etching wouldnt comprimise the integrity would it?
Cirlces are ok. What happens is the stress gets focused into one spot with 90 deg angles (or any angle). Radii and circles spread the stress out evenly.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cirlces are ok. What happens is the stress gets focused into one spot with 90 deg angles (or any angle). Radii and circles spread the stress out evenly.
Ben is right, mathematically stress is infinite at a perfect point in a cutout, if I'm remembering my edumacation correctidly
Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #11

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Ben is right, mathematically stress is infinite at a perfect point in a cutout, if I'm remembering my edumacation correctidly
I'm trying to find a visual example. We did a lab where we used polarized plastic in which you could visibly see the actual stress in the plastic.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I won't pretend to know the math, but it makes sense. On old aircraft sheetmetal, if a crack develops, you drill a small hole (circle) at the advancing tip of the crack to stop it from progressing until it can be properly repaired.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm trying to find a visual example. We did a lab where we used polarized plastic in which you could visibly see the actual stress in the plastic.
Yeah, that's why if you look at the claw on the back of a hammer, at the point where the cutout in the "v" ends, they drill a little circle. Otherwise the cutout would crack....
Old 09-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #14
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Quote:
Yeah, that's why if you look at the claw on the back of a hammer, at the point where the cutout in the "v" ends, they drill a little circle. Otherwise the cutout would crack....
i have to go home and look at my hammer now lol ive never paid attention
Old 09-01-2011, 05:45 AM   #15
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
"corner relief" is what everyone is describing here.
goes for sheet metal corner cuts and any extreme angle cutouts.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post

That's it. Derp.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey View Post