1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roadmaster Active Suspension

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Goober, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aug 29, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    Goober

Goober [OP] Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    After first hooking my travel trailer up, 3500lbs. dry weight, and towing it to a service shop for maintenace I decided I needed to beef up the rear suspension. TSB aside I decided to give the Roadmaster system a try as they advertised it didn't affect the empty ride. I also use the the Reese weight distributing hitch. I've only taken one trip, total 600 miles, but was please with how it handled. my wet/loaded weight is around 4000lbs and I allways fill my water tank before leaving on trips, I just like the water better. I kept the speed between 60 and 65 mph from Salt Lake City to Wells Nevada with a fair amount of crosswinds and 60 mph going south to Ruby Lake on 2 lane roads. The last 20 miles was fairly well kept dirt road but had plenty of pot holes and wash board sections and I drove 35-40 mph. Never did I feel uncomfortable with the handling. I had no sway problems even when passing semi trucks going the other way on a 2 lane road or following semi trucks. Handles bumps and dips well.

When I first put the Roadmaster system on and drove my regular commute I really didn't notice any difference, maybe a little firmer in back. The roadmasters come with two spacers to adjust the spring tension for either 25% or 40% added capacity and I set mine for 25%.

The only drawback to this system would be off roading. Flexing may cause the brackets to hit the frame as the stick up as high as the rubber stops.

Installation took 1 hour and I had to slightly bend one brake line to keep it from rubbing on the bracket. I had these on for 3 months with no problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.activesuspension.com/images/stories/pdf/appguide.pdf

[​IMG]

Rob MacRuger likes this.
  2. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    hgfontana

hgfontana Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hernan
    Resda, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra CrewCab 4x4
    I just curious why do you install this active suspension and not the Firestone air bags?

3. Mar 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Once installed no futher adjustments needed. Is it better than air bags? Couldn't say.

4. Jun 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    think this will fit on my regular cab lowered 4 inches in the back?? Really need somthing to hold up my rear while i tow my bike in the bed. 500lbs in the bed of the regular cab is a lot!!! lol

5. Jun 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Take a look at the brackets in relation to the bump stops and compare that to how your axle sits in relation to the frame. These may not work with a lowered vehicle.

6. Jun 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    jmarquez808

jmarquez808 Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jess
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 4x2 reg cab / 12 4x4 double cab
    **Afe cold air intake w/pro dry filter, Yellow tint fogs, Daytime running lights, led dome light, led license plate lights, Led tail lights, 3 inch carbon antenna, spec d projector headlights, carbon fiber look interior trim pieces, Djm control arms, Djm notch, 4x4 leaf springs, beefed taco 2 inch blocks with offset pin, Rear Qa1 Shocks, Sittin sic stock height coils, x runner bilstein front shocks, weathertech digital fit floor mats, debadged.
    20130625_184745_436e7f92c0cf4092c8e1f2b23767512b2c4d458f.jpg

It works :) Did this raise your ride a little? maybe like an inch? I have it set on 40% additonal load capacity. hoping if i put it to 25% it will ocme back down. But if not hey i can live with a 3 inch instead of 4 inch drop with a bility to actually haul without the dust cover on my drive shaft making weird noises as it rubs. lol

7. Jun 29, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    Goober

Member:
    Vehicle:
    That's cool, looks like it works better on yours than mine clearance wise. I did notice it raised mine (mine at 25%) but with the leer shell on it' about stock. I was thinking of cranking them up to 40% because with my slide-in camper and trailer combo I only have about 3" before I hit the frame. The threaded shaft on mine have rusted real bad because of the salt used on the roads here.

8. Jun 16, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    EE-TACO

EE-TACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Northeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Sport Double Cab Short Bed Barcelona Red Metalic
    LED hood scoop light bar, LED Interior lights. Caliraised LED Raptor taillights, Roadmaster Active suspension so far...
    Has anyone found if full articulation is still possible without hitting the frame? I go on some rough and washed out roads for work but have a full bed and was thinking this would be the right solution.

9. Feb 6, 2021 at 6:19 PM
    sorevilo

sorevilo Well-Known Member

Member:
    I noticed some don’t have that foam pad on the hook section? Are we supposed to take that off?

10. Oct 17, 2021 at 3:07 PM
    Lava-road

Lava-road Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Hard top camper...many more to add+
    Roadmaster…mentions Once you install there Active suspension…No maintenance…vs. airbags….alot more maintenance with airbag systems. (Leaks)…

I am considering getting this Roadmaster(RAS) for my 2019 Tacoma LB , with a Leer camper, ..and I am only carry loads when I do go camping/fishing , hauling a couple bags of coffee to the mills, (6-8 hundred lbs)..a few times a year…
    Roadmaster mentions , for everyday driving without loads, should not impact the ride. This is a good thing…my other trucks with extra springs…rides rougher when empty…
    Aloha,

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  11. Mar 23, 2022 at 9:35 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
    My TRD off-road seems to ride better even empty. I tow a 5100 lb loaded Grand Design MKE17. With an E2 800 lb WDH and the Roadmaster I have driven in 30-40 mph headwinds and never felt stressed or unstable. Just gas burning. Lol.

12. Mar 23, 2022 at 10:03 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    Seems like a good product…I added a Icon-lift spring..not sure if the brackets will get in the way?
    Plus for off roading, and the lift springs drop downwards..how will the Roadmaster performance be a positive or negative?
    Anyone with the Roadmaster go seriously off roading?
    Aloha

13. Mar 1, 2023 at 8:53 AM
    AvockAdoo

AvockAdoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCLB TRDOR
    Anybody have updates to share on their RAS? I'm about to pull the trigger on it I think. I have an ARE MX (200lbs) at all times, and am often carrying a variety of skis, bikes, coolers, etc.. and I notice the back end starts to sag. I know this is primarily for towing (which I rarely do) but do any of you who have it installed think it helps enough with just a standard "loaded bed"?

I'd love to hear y'alls experiences!

14. Mar 1, 2023 at 9:45 AM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    I almost order one for my 2019 Tacoma.
    I did call the manufacturer and they said NO problems with the icon 1.5 add lift spring. My truck is level. And I wanted to add a rake to the back for those times when I do go overnight camping and fishing. I take lots of gear. That way my rear is not sagging.

Please let us know how it went for you when you do add this RAS?

You may want to add “add-lift-springs”? Instead of the RAS.
    If you did lift you Tacoma ,hope you added a longer bump stopper on your rear springs.

15. Mar 1, 2023 at 10:15 AM
    AvockAdoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCLB TRDOR
    I went ahead and ordered. I dont want an add-a-leaf because it will harsh the ride unloaded. I dont offroad much other than minor stuff, so I think articulation isnt the biggest deal to me.

I will update with my experience. There were a few people on here who've already done it, but not very many. The f150 guys seem to love them, so hopefully it works out for me too!

16. Mar 1, 2023 at 4:56 PM
    sorevilo

sorevilo Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’ve had mine on since about 2019 have had a lot of heavy payloads in bed with great success, have also taken it off-roading plenty of times, no complaints here just works!

Cement_wheels and AvockAdoo like this.
  17. Mar 1, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    TacoManOne

TacoManOne KDMax-Pro Authorized Tuner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue TRDOR DCLB Premium JBL
    KDMax Pro latest version, Meso stuff, JBL upgrades
    It does help with just standard loads too. Bikes, SUP, kayak, leaves & yard debris. I think it rides smoother than stock TRD OR. My opinion.

AvockAdoo[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 7, 2023 at 2:28 PM
    syswalla

syswalla Knob

Member:
    5557 ft.
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR
    This caught my eye because I've been looking at AAL. I put on TRD Pro suspension which raised the front about 1.5" to make the truck level. Now anytime there's a load it sags in the back. We have two ebikes and recently bought a bicycle hitch rack to haul them. With the rack and two bikes there's about 150 lbs hanging off the back of the truck. While it's not a lot of weight it's in the worst place possible for squatting. Thinking this might be a good route and would also better accommodate a trailer than an AAL.

@AvockAdoo I'll be interested on your take as it sounds fairly similar to my use case. I'd be interested in knowing if you got any lift in the rear, something I wouldn't mind to get closer to stock rake.

19. Mar 7, 2023 at 2:34 PM
    AvockAdoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '21 DCLB TRDOR
    Good timing - was just about to post about my experience. I installed the kit on Sunday, at about 25% setting, and I got 1-1.5" of lift out of the back. To make things even better, now as I load the rear it doenst compress near as much as it used to. At full load, I'd imagine I got 2-3" back. To add to that, it rides better. Very smooth over bumps, no wheel hopping or jittering.

I would buy these again 10 times if I had the choice. I like to keep my truck as stock as possible, and these are one of the best things I've ever bought. If you think you need them, just pull the trigger.

TacoManOne and syswalla[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Mar 7, 2023 at 2:39 PM
    Lava-road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd-off road
    According to the manufacturers the Road Active Suspension is adjustable from .5 to 1.5 inches lift .
    Amazon has it listed with Prime for $539.00 .

Products Discussed in

To Top