1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FoldaCover G4 Elite and Bedslide SR10 Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by junglefighter25, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM
    l tacoMAS l

l tacoMAS l Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD Sport
    Debadged TRD Stickers, ~15% Tint all around, WeatherTech Digital Mats, WeatherTech Deflectors, OEM Short Bed Mat, OEM Roof Rack, 13" AntennaX, Pop-n-Lock Tailgate (electric), G4 elite Hard Tonneau Cover, Bolt-On APEX Sliders & IFS Skid, Thule 64" Rack, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff Skid, Hi-Lift w/ ATO Bed Rail Mounts, Future Mods: 3" OME lift w/ UCAs & 886s, New Wheels & Tires, Redline Hood Struts, Plastidipped Emblems, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Blacked Out Taillights
    Hey guys... Thanks to the OP for this great write-up & for everyone else's insightful experiences.. I just ordered my G4 after MUCH deliberation on which tonneau cover to purchase & from the sounds of it, I won't be disappointed with my choice. I do have one concern/question though...

According to the install instructions, it says NOT to install the Cover in temps Below 70deg. :confused: I live in Colorado and likely won't see those temps around here for many more months.. Should i try to perform the install in the garage with a space heater or is it more of a concern of the weatherstripping?? Thanks for any assistance & I hope to be able to install it soon for use during Winter... :(

2. Dec 29, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    It's more about the weatherstripping and how the glue sticks correctly. I installed my G4 early in the morning at 65 degrees with no issues but I would agree anything colder makes the glue hard to stick to the panel correctly.

BTW love my G4 elite :thumbsup:

3. Dec 30, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    The weatherstripping doesn't glue down anymore from what I've seen/read so this may not matter anymore.

4. Dec 30, 2012 at 6:29 PM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    The bed rails (wind seals) are no longer glued, bolted now. I think the main concern is the weatherstripping that attaches to the front and rear of the G4. The weatherstripping is glued.

2012-12-30_18-22-44_276.jpg

5. Dec 30, 2012 at 6:35 PM
    DCGirl

DCGirl Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    I use to live in Colorado. I think you will be fine if you wait for one of the warmer winter days and run the space heater. I know it mentions 70 deg on the first page but the 70 deg seems to apply to the weatherstripping. In step 13 of the instructions it mentions the 70 degrees for installing the weather seals.

"Surface temperatures below 70 degrees F will adversely effect the bond strength of the seal adhesive"

6. Dec 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+

My bad I meant to say gluing the front and rear weatherstripping. I have the new design where you don't need to glue the sides. It's more of a foam type design now.

7. Jan 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    l tacoMAS l

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD Sport
    Debadged TRD Stickers, ~15% Tint all around, WeatherTech Digital Mats, WeatherTech Deflectors, OEM Short Bed Mat, OEM Roof Rack, 13" AntennaX, Pop-n-Lock Tailgate (electric), G4 elite Hard Tonneau Cover, Bolt-On APEX Sliders & IFS Skid, Thule 64" Rack, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff Skid, Hi-Lift w/ ATO Bed Rail Mounts, Future Mods: 3" OME lift w/ UCAs & 886s, New Wheels & Tires, Redline Hood Struts, Plastidipped Emblems, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Blacked Out Taillights

Thank You All for the helpful replies... :)
    ...looks like mine will be the new version with the windseal rails, so as noted, I have to try to get above 70deg just for Step #13 (installing front & rear weather seals) to ensure proper bond strength of the seal adhesive...
    Did any of you actually use a "roller Wheel" for this step or did a wrench work ok for most??

Thanks again & can't wait to install & enjoy my new cover!! :D

8. Jan 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    combo wrench worked fine for me. :thumbsup:

9. Jan 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    l tacoMAS l

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hello Again Everyone..
    well, i finally got around to installing my cover and after a little bit of difficulty aligning everything perfectly (OCD), I'm happy to say that it's on and functioning perfectly! I could not be happier with the aesthetics and functionality of this cover after a couple days use.. we'll see how it holds up this winter in the mountains.. I was able to apply the weatherseals after warming up the garage with a space heater and using a heat gun to apply, so thanks again for everyones input and help! :D

10. Jan 10, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Good to hear. Report back after a while and let me know how you like it. I will probably end up getting one of these before the summer when I'm planning on taking a road trip with the truck. Gonna need something to keep my luggage dry and improve my gas mileage.

11. Jan 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM
    l tacoMAS l

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD Sport
    Will do.. so far it seems to do a fantastic job around town keeping things secure and dry. We had 1-2 inches of snow over the past week and its been great. I'll be heading up to Keystone this weekend so that will be a better test of weather/elements... :cool:

12. Jan 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    lil red truck

lil red truck New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    NJ or ATL
    Vehicle:
    12 reg cab 4cyl
    based on a couple of threads including this one, i bought and installed the G4 elite on my 2012 reg cab 6 foot bed. my taco came with a factory installed SMC liner but didn't know that the cover is engineered based on the fact that all three sides of the bed (side rails and tailgate) must be all level with each other. the result is a gap between the cover and the top of the tailgate of 1 1/4" - 1 1/2"+. as well as a gap at the front edge. i was able to switch the front clamps with the rear ones to pick up about an 1/8". i didn't think the flimsy big windshield wiper blade is apprpriate enough for the rear. so so for the front.

stacie at steffens wasn't at all helpful and now am scrambling to find a fix. i am surprised to see the earlier pic on the grey taco but it looks like the rails/ tailgate are all flush. future buyers beware of this as my liner is not even on all three sides. i'm not happy about the gap and anyone can look into the bed and simply pop open the latches not to mention the rain weather issues. i am following another thread who is trying to remedy the problem with 1" square aluminum tubing screwed in to the tailgate to "bridge the gap".

any recommendations are welcome.

jim

13. Mar 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Ordered my G4 yesterday. Will report back once I get it installed. Seems the pluses outweigh the minor gaps in the ends so I went with it.

14. May 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Future Tacoma

Future Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Purchased a new 2013 Tacoma Double Cab 4WD
    Stock at this time.
    We are new to this forum so I hope I do this right. My wife and I just purchased a new 2013 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4wheel drive short box pickup. We will be using this vehicle as a daily commuter and for flyfishing, skiing, snowshoeing, etc. The G4 Elite cover looks like a great cover. We want something that is very secure and relatively water tight and that functions easily. We will not be hauling fourwheelers or bikes, etc. I have read many of the posts here so are much older and some are more recent. Suggestions on a purchase for us would be appreciated. I may also install a Weatherguard low profile locking tool box and bolt it through the bed floor in the future to store tools, snowchains, winter survival gear, but i want the cover first so it needs to be secure. What do you think. Thanks and have a great day.

15. May 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    wing103

wing103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport / Dark Gray
    Grill Craft upper & Lower Grill WetOK Seat Cover, Devil Horn, Bug, Windows Deflector, Side step Bar, HID 55W 8000K Headlight, HID 35W 4000K Foglight, Fog Light Mod, Interior LED Map Light Mod, Electric Tail Gate Lock, Leer Cab, Key ring light, Bed LED lights Mod, Kenwood DNX5120, Signal Mirror with Heat
    Finally I got the bedslide 1000 it is used for few months on Craigslist for 400 dollars, I love it

16. May 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Question for all you FoldAcover users, if you dont' install the tailgate lock bracket can you open and close the tailgate without opening the cover? The Bakflip models all require you to open the cover before shutting the tailgate so I'm wondering if that is the case here?

17. May 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    As long as you don't put the loop on the tailgate, you can open and close it without opening the cover. I installed a pop and lock and then removed the loop that the cover locked into. I open and close the tailgate all the time now without opening the cover.

18. May 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    jtv

jtv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well...Just Back From Hell
    Vehicle:
    2012 V6PreRunner TRDSport
    King all 4 corners, TRD cat back, OEM 17" TRD rims, Fold-A-Cover
    Just got g4 from factory today for $764. But my 2012dclbtrdsport has been in the body shop for almost a week. A blind babe merged into my lane and scratched my truck from front to rear.

19. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    808bige

808bige Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC, LB, stormtrooper in training
    Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite bed cover, Pop 'n Lock tailgate lock, Wet Okole seat covers front/back, de-badged, painted badges, OEM black tubesteps, WT Digital-Fit Floormats front/rear, WT side window deflectors front/rear, After market tint (2% 6" strip on windshield, 35% front, 5% back, 5% rear), Rubber Bed Mat, K&N Cold Air Intake, Blacked out rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, Antenna X Shorty Antenna
    As for the original topic...I absolutely love my G4 elite. Hands down best bed cover IMO. It is a PITA to install, but well worth it when done. My bro has a 1st gen tundra and has a the full metal jack rabbit roll cover. He thought he loved it at first, but then he saw mine, and is on the verge of selling the jack rabbit and picking up a G4. I get compliments and questions from tons of Taco owners on the island about what cover I got and where I got it, mostly from guys who see me open up the cover from the cab side hehe :cool:

On a side topic, has anyone here thought of a way to utilize a vertical rack system like the Thule Xsporter in conjuction with the G4 elite??? I'm an avid paddler here in Hawaii, and use the Thule's to carry my outrigger canoe from home to the ocean. So far I've been removing and replacing the cover/bed rails every weekend so I can put the vertical racks on...huuuge pain :(. I like the security and overall construction quality of the G4 and will not part with it at all. I'm just curious if someone has found a solution for this yet. some kind of home-made adapter, or bracket that could substitute. I'd be willing to pay :D

20. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    808bige

808bige Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 DC, LB, stormtrooper in training
    Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite bed cover, Pop 'n Lock tailgate lock, Wet Okole seat covers front/back, de-badged, painted badges, OEM black tubesteps, WT Digital-Fit Floormats front/rear, WT side window deflectors front/rear, After market tint (2% 6" strip on windshield, 35% front, 5% back, 5% rear), Rubber Bed Mat, K&N Cold Air Intake, Blacked out rims, Borla cat-back exhaust, Antenna X Shorty Antenna
    for those worried about the gap at the ends of the bed, not to worry. Foldacover has addressed the problem and include rubber seals for each end. While they may not look like much they WILL keep the water out. Awesome cover :D

Products Discussed in

To Top