Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

HF air compressor

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
UndefinedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
HF air compressor

I've done searching on here..nothing really. Anybody have any experience/opinions on this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...sor-66399.html

I don't need to air up in 30 seconds..I just need something that will work when I need it. I don't really wanna throw down $250 for a Viar or ARB...I could use the money somewhere else on my truck.

I was gonna hardwire it via relay and a switch, then run a air coupler under frame, out to back of bumper or possibly gas door.

For around $60 out the door..(20% coupon)...not bad..
Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a couple "cheap" compressors, they work fine for a while but as time goes on they will take longer and longer to fill a tire. If used regularly, like weekly fills of bikes, wheelbarrow tires then they'll be shot in a couple years. I once took 15 minutes on the side of a highway filling a spare tire, just trying to get it up to usable pressure. If you rarely use it they're great for emegencies, but for regular usage spend more.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
i've heard good things about the hardor freight ones
Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Don't mean to be the negative Nancy here, but I've gone through two of those HF air compressors. The first time, it worked at home and so I took it out onto the trail with me. When we went to air up, it worked for a minute then died (would not turn back on even after an hour.)

I took it back and got a new one. This one worked for a few runs and just randomly took a dump after our Mojave run after running for about 2 minutes. Again it would not turn back on. I used it maybe 4 times before this. There's my experience with them. I say save the money and buy something more reliable.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
I'll eat all your food.
UndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedUndefinedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Damn too bad, guess ill pick up a used viar off cl and an air tank
Old 10-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
Mine died after 3 runs on my Jeep last year. Used it to air up after crawling all 3 times then one day it just stopped working and wouldn't start up. On a summer trip it would get hot and shut off but after about 5-10 minute rest it would start back up fine.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Harbor Freight one and the Tsunami one... both great and I have posted a lot about them in the past. What do you want to know?

Old 10-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Anything??
Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 AM   #9
I'll eat all your food.

I just wanna know if it works lol! and will last
Old 10-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #10

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
I just wanna know if it works lol! and will last
The Tsunami one (#MV-50) seems to be better made, and is just a bit slower than the Harbor Freight one.

The Harbor Freight one was bought way back in 2006... and it still works... Used it dozens of times. However, the fuse holder gets really hot and melts the fuse... doesn't blow usually, but I needed to replace the fuse lots of times as it stopped working after it melts the plastic.

The Tsunami I got a year ago, and it doesn't get near as hot in the cable or fuse.

The speed to fill our tires is 6 psi per minute with the Harbor Freight and 5 psi per minute with the Tsunami. A cigarette lighter connected tire air pump fills at just 2 psi per minute!

So, if you go to 15 psi for sand driving, you take 2.5 minutes with the Harbor Freight to get back to 30 psi... or 3 minutes with the Tsunami... or 7.5 minutes for a cig. lighter pump (I had a Coleman). When you have 4 tires to fill... speed is nice! I prefer 12 minutes over 30 minutes!!!

The Harbor Freight one was $49 when I bought it, on special in '06... the Tsunami one is closer to $75 I think, but that was last year.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I have the same exact one you posted a pic of. Only used it like twice.... it works. Noisy as to be expected though. I'll hardwire it in eventually, just need to build a tank.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
i got this sucker and it works pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-P...8782263&sr=8-1

i got it cheaper on ebay.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #13

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
i got this sucker and it works pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-P...8782263&sr=8-1

i got it cheaper on ebay.

That Slime one plugs into a cigarette lighter, so it cannot fill at the rate of the ones that clip directly onto the battery. Better than nothing (or a hand pump)... but for that money, get the Harbor Freight one which pumps 6 psi per minute (vs. 2 psi per min. with a cig. lighter plug in pump).
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
That Slime one plugs into a cigarette lighter, so it cannot fill at the rate of the ones that clip directly onto the battery. Better than nothing (or a hand pump)... but for that money, get the Harbor Freight one which pumps 6 psi per minute (vs. 2 psi per min. with a cig. lighter plug in pump).
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndefinedTaco View Post
I've done searching on here..nothing really. Anybody have any experience/opinions on this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...sor-66399.html

I don't need to air up in 30 seconds..I just need something that will work when I need it. I don't really wanna throw down $250 for a Viar or ARB...I could use the money somewhere else on my truck.

I was gonna hardwire it via relay and a switch, then run a air coupler under frame, out to back of bumper or possibly gas door.

For around $60 out the door..(20% coupon)...not bad..

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...or-review.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...r-another.html
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
bgsmith will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
bgsmith's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I have the Harbor Freight one and the Tsunami one... both great and I have posted a lot about them in the past. What do you want to know?

I just ordered a Tsunami off of Amazon, while I won't need to use it too much I do plan on doing some beach driving so it will be nice to have.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #16
Muy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shedMuy Grande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Muy Grande's Tacoma Gallery
Be Warned!!

I have that exact one bought at Harbor Freight........the first one I bought burned out the fuse. At first I thought it would be as easy as putting on another fuse.....not so fast. These air pumps have a special "purple" I think 35 watt fuse that is almost impossible to find. I returned it and picked up another one........works everytime I need it. But I don't abuse it aka take it wheeling with me and try to air up 4 35 inch tires in 2 minutes, it wasnt made for that.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muy Grande View Post
I have that exact one bought at Harbor Freight........the first one I bought burned out the fuse. At first I thought it would be as easy as putting on another fuse.....not so fast. These air pumps have a special "purple" I think 35 watt fuse that is almost impossible to find. I returned it and picked up another one........works everytime I need it. But I don't abuse it aka take it wheeling with me and try to air up 4 35 inch tires in 2 minutes, it wasnt made for that.

Mine had a regular auto 25 watt fuse, I replaced it with 30 watt fuse... doesn't blow them, but melts them and the holder a bit.

You can go from 15 psi to 30 psi in about 2.5 minutes (6 psi per minute in my 32" tires). I use the red one now, the wires don't get as hot, the fuse doesn't blow, and it is just slightly slower at 5 psi per minute.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #18
I'll eat all your food.

i'm probably just gonna go York lol
my buddys got one in his shop he's gonna toss to me for a 36pack

i'll have full OBA..just gotta find a 2-5gallon tank to throw in the bed.
it'll be enough to run air tools too.

Products Discussed in this Thread