Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

WRITE UP: UNICHIP Programmer

Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
WRITE UP: UNICHIP Programmer

UNICHIP Programmer - Write Up

**This used to be my for sale thread, it has been repurposed for UNICHIP information. Everything I know is listed below, feel free to PM me with a question if it hasn't been answered after you've read below**

Unichip programmer is 100% Plug and Play, installs in 10 minutes. Removes just as easily.

There are 2 types for the 2nd Gen Tacoma's, the first fits years 2005-2008. The 2nd fits years '09+

The one that fits 2nd Gen Tacoma's 2005-2008, UNICHIP has told me that the chip's software can easily be updated to work with the 09+ V6 Tacoma's, BUT The physical wiring harnesses are incompatable. They also said they are willing to change out the wiring harnesses for the low low price of 277$....

Please read on for more info

The UNICHIP has served me great. It does have its limitations, My issue with it is that its like an apple product. Its super easy to plug in and play and use. But if you wanna start custom tuning it, you gotta buy the UNICHIP tuning software and the UNICHIP personal tuning trainer(the one that teaches you how to use it) software.

Its a "closed" system as they say, only works with the special software from UNICHIP themselves. OR you can just find a unichip certified tuner, which is your way better and way cheaper option, if you have a tuner in your area then your good to go. None of which exist in Canada,something I neglected to check before I bought mine. I ran it fine for a year plus (about 14 months) with no issues, the standard map that came with it served me well.

I originally went the unichip route because they are meant to be fully upgradeble, and can eventually support S/C and Turbo if thats your goal. Or if you are knowledgable enough to tune it yourself, then get the software and the skies the limit for ya. Me personally I don't have enough experience with that sort of stuff.

When you buy your chip, you have the option of selecting one of the pre-tuned maps for whatever additional intake and/or exhaust upgrades you might have. If you get it tuned to your vehicle specifically, then you can crank another 9-13 hp out of it. This is the difference between what they call a "Standard Map" and a "Custom Map". (Custom meaning when you have it tuned specifically for your vehicle versus the standard map that UNICHIP loads onto the chip at purchase.)

Heres my dyno threads, also just an FYI, my dyno was messed, turns out later I found out the guy who did my dyno had only used the machine once before.

Heres the 2 threads with all the info, read all of it and the comments as we figured out what happened:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...-happened.html

the Xr-u.com one is better, more tuner guys over there:
http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42651

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1020151.4 Installation instructions.pdf (212.0 KB, 185 views)
Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
BIG BUMP FOR MARCEL!!!!

Old 10-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I believe that 09+ will need a different ECU pigtail then the 05-08. At least that was my understanding when I was researching this a while back.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
I believe that 09+ will need a different ECU pigtail then the 05-08. At least that was my understanding when I was researching this a while back.
Still trying to confirm this, UNICHIP hasn't answered my e-mail so i'll probably call them later
Old 10-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

Original Post updated with UNICHIPS support info for the 09+.

Here it is just for reference:
Fits 2nd Gen Tacoma's 2005-2008, UNICHIP has told me that the chip's software can easily be updated to work with the 09+ V6 Tacoma's, BUT The physical wiring harnesses are incompatable. They also said they are willing to change out the wiring harnesses for the low low price of 277$....
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
i would have been all over this but.... i put my downpayment on my supercharger kit this past week
Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #9

bump
Old 10-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #11

PM'd
Old 10-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
I'll take it. I seem to be spending lots of money today. Now just need HomerTaco to say he wants my money and I will have everything I need.... Then I can go onto the lower priority needs (wants). LOL.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #14

Lol, he's pretty good at that he took mine too
Old 10-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
$ sent. But it didnt give me a place to put comments or anything else.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #16

SOLD to the Army of hitmans
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post

Agreed, it'll free up some closet space, trying to downsize my life ATM
Old 10-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
ill give u 150 shipped
Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
ill give u 150 shipped
It's going to be shipped out tonight to the buyer haha, but if you really want to be parted with your 150$ so much you can just send it to me anyways