Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Factory Toyota Tacoma toolbox

Old 10-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #1
the coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud of

the coach's Tacoma Gallery
Factory Toyota Tacoma toolbox

Anybody else have one of these?

I needed a saddlebox for my 2011 PreRunner that wasn't so low into the bed that I couldn't slide a 6' ladder underneath it. The OEM factory Toyota box for the Tacoma fit the bill and the dealer offered it to me at wholesale $515 (retail $599) so I added it on. Different and pretty cool. The top is the usual aluminum diamond plate with the rest of the box (inside & out) done in a Rino Guard type rough black finish. Plus it has the Toyota emblem scarred into both sides. It also has the button push openers & locks on both sides much like a Weatherguard box.

I had a Weatherguard on my last truck & liked it a lot. I'll keep everyone posted on how this Toyota box holds up.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I want one but even for what you paid I could get a UWS and have probably a better toolbox. I can't guarantee it is better, just a guess
Old 10-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
the coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud ofthe coach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I want one but even for what you paid I could get a UWS and have probably a better toolbox. I can't guarantee it is better, just a guess
I've heard good things about UWS and just about everybody I know likes Weatherguard best. The Weatherguards I was looking at were actually one to two hundred dollars more than the OEM Toyota box was even @ full retail $599 (plus they hung down into the bed almost to the floor). There were other boxes that would of worked and had good quality in the $450 range. Probably others deals out there too I just didn't find.

A couple things I really liked about the Toyota box. #1) The Rhino Guard type treatment sprayed on the entire inside of the box. My Weatherguard didn't have that and after awhile tools scraping the aluminum bottom makes a lot of dirty dust. To be extra covered I even put a sheet of rubber in the bottom of my new box to make sure this wasn't an issue again. #2) The Toyota box has a nice big fiberglass looking plastic sliding top tray instead of a metal one. The metal one on my old box eventually got a little beat up and rusted.

My initial opinion is the Toyota box is very unique looking with some nice features... maybe not quite as heavy duty as say a Weatherguard... but it's pretty darn close.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
41 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
I have one Coach
Many of the same reasons.
One of the most important was it attached to the rails.
3 bolts and it comes off with no holes drilled into the bed.

My reg cab was full behind the seat and with my quad i still have no storage. So i needed something and it looks sharp IMO.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
I have one Coach
Many of the same reasons.
One of the most important was it attached to the rails.
3 bolts and it comes off with no holes drilled into the bed.

My reg cab was full behind the seat and with my quad i still have no storage. So i needed something and it looks sharp IMO.
Mike the box certainly does look sharp on your truck.

I liked the fact it was specifically made for our Tacos too. And I had the same problem as you with my previous work trucks that were regular cab. Even with a box I still always had crap piled up on the passenger floor & seat. Took me 20 minutes just to clear it out so I could ride a passenger. I got the access cab. My Dewalt drill goes under one rear jump seat & my socket set under the other. Then I got 2 really nice black plastic bins that fit on top the rear seats perfectly that I fill with various work stuff. That leaves the toolbox for big things like bolt cutters & pruners and all my various hand tools... plus anything I want to throw in there just to keep it safe & dry. And my passenger seat is clear.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
toyotaco01 is on a distinguished road

Army: 8th Engineer Batallion, 1st Cav-Airmobile Thai Ninh, Vietnam 1969
toyotaco01's Tacoma Gallery
Nice toolbox, I may get one for me soon.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP348 View Post
this feels good, i picked mine up off CL for $80
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That may be as close to hitting the Lottery as you ever get! Great, GREAT deal for you.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
BP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to beholdBP348 is a splendid one to behold
BP348's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the coach View Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That may be as close to hitting the Lottery as you ever get! Great, GREAT deal for you.
dude thats way better than hitting the lotto, cmon now, chitty chitty bang bang
Old 10-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
I just picked one up for $100.00. I was going to get the kobolt slim to save on bed space, but i couldnt beat that price.
Thanks Jordan (silverseven)
Another Home Run!

P.S. Love the DUCKCMDR crosshairs logo by the way. Very Taco.