Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

aFe Exhaust Review.....

Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up aFe Exhaust Review.....

Okay, since there's not too many folks on here with this system I decided to do a quick write-up about it. I've had this kit (aFe Part No.49-46002) for just about a week now, and I am really pleased with it so far. I think it goes perfectly with the Pro-Dry S CAI I just installed about 3 weeks ago.

SPECS
3" Mandrel-Bent 409ss
409ss Turbo style Muffler
Welded Bayonet Hangars (no risk of rusting out)
409ss Band Clamps (high-quality, leak free w/ no tack welds)
Easy Install

INSTALL
It took about 50 minutes to remove the old exhaust and install this one. The hardest/most time-consuming part was getting the old hangars out (lubed 'em well) and "weaseling" that long-ass exhaust out of there (I have a DC/LB).

Installing the aFe exhaust was quick, easy, and straight-forward. It took about 15-20 minutes. I was thoroughly impressed with the welds/beading and overall quality of this system. Like I've said before, aFe really pays attention to detail, and seems to take it one step beyond the competitors.

PERFORMANCE
Dare I even touch on this subject??? There is no way I gained +26HP & 30lbs/ft. torque that they "claim" you will get. I haven't noticed any increase, and haven't noticed a decrease in low-end due to the 3" piping. The only difference I have noticed is I am pushing harder on the skinny pedal because I love the way it sounds!!!

SOUND
Here's some crappy vids I took last night. Taken at night with my digi-cam, so it's not the best sound/video quality, but better than the other aFe exhaust vids I've seen/heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Rc3...yer_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8mtD...yer_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPY3_...yer_detailpage
(yes I know I need gas )

SUMMARY
I am very pleased with my decision. I love the exhaust.
I know there's always gonna be haters out there: "Why 3" pipe?!" "Why Not just weld in a muffler?!"
"Fart Can" etc.
My response..."Why the hell do you care what I do to MY truck?"

Here's the spec. sheet from aFe in anyone wants to laugh at their power claims....

http://afepower.com/catalog/49-46002/is.pdf

*UPDATE*
Finally got some sound clips with the Doug Thorley Y-Pipe installed. Horrible video quality and wind noise, but nonetheless, you can tell how it sounds.

Start-up, rev, drive-off (normal skinny pedal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7iIldRfGCs

Drive-Up, Drive-Off (heavy skinny pedal)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPxXch1_Kkk
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up
Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
hotrod45 is on a distinguished road
Army: medic 5501 hospital
Name: paul
hotrod45's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

nice write up. the hp claims are ridiculous.why not send them a note and challenge it. maybe they'll send some juice your way. or,send the system back to them as faulty? i bought the flow master system. it will be louder, maybe some hp increase. i don't care. not racing. i just like DUAL exhaust! that is worth the 477 to me.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod45 View Post
nice write up. the hp claims are ridiculous.why not send them a note and challenge it. maybe they'll send some juice your way. or,send the system back to them as faulty? i bought the flow master system. it will be louder, maybe some hp increase. i don't care. not racing. i just like DUAL exhaust! that is worth the 477 to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
did you notice any decent power gains? I have emailed aFe twice and called once asking about the validity of their dyno claims (+26hp/30lbs.ft tq.).....I've yet to hear back.
I have tried 3 times to get the dyno sheets from them, still haven't heard back. Oh well , i still like the exhaust. They did send me a $5 aFe Dealer catalog, and bunch of stickers though. Maybe I have to put the stickers ON my truck to get more HP???
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
MAXTAC 07 is on a distinguished road

Name: Maxime
MAXTAC 07's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up,

I looking for this after market exhaust right now, but a wonder a thing. 409 Stainless Steel (From what I read on the net) seem to become brown over time.

On all the picture that I see on the net this intake seem to be glossy, like if they had put some kind of clear on it to avoid it. Can you tell me what it look like now especially around the soldering

Pic will be great
Let me know to if you've got bored of the sound or if it still great like it seem to be

Thanks
Old 04-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Id like to see how close the exhaust comes to the spare tire........Im having issues with the urd 3"
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTAC 07 View Post
Nice write up,

I looking for this after market exhaust right now, but a wonder a thing. 409 Stainless Steel (From what I read on the net) seem to become brown over time.

On all the picture that I see on the net this intake seem to be glossy, like if they had put some kind of clear on it to avoid it. Can you tell me what it look like now especially around the soldering

Pic will be great
Let me know to if you've got bored of the sound or if it still great like it seem to be

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this thread

The exhaust is no longer shiny and new, and it has seen it's fair share of dirt, mud, snow, and rocks. Even though it's 409SS it has browned, and has some rusty "pock marks". Unless you are physically scrubbing your exhaust every time you wash your truck, this is to be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Id like to see how close the exhaust comes to the spare tire........Im having issues with the urd 3"
No hitting the spare (which is still my OEM 265/65R17).
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks man, look like the 75 series may be messin me up.....I don't have the 70 anymore, and im not getting rid of this exhaust yet.

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about this thread

The exhaust is no longer shiny and new, and it has seen it's fair share of dirt, mud, snow, and rocks. Even though it's 409SS it has browned, and has some rusty "pock marks". Unless you are physically scrubbing your exhaust every time you wash your truck, this is to be expected.

No hitting the spare (which is still my OEM 265/65R17).
Old 04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
...and we're back!

Yea, I am getting a full-size 285/70R17 spare next month, and will likely have to get creative with mounting it. I'd like to keep it underneath to save space, but that it not likely. I like the idea of MetalMiller's spare-mount: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...installed.html

And yes, I had a drop in torque. Not significant, but I do down-shift when going up steep hills if my truck is under load. Plus, I like the way the exhaust sounds @ 2500-3500 rpms, so it's a win/win for me
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #10

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea, I am getting a full-size 285/70R17 spare next month, and will likely have to get creative with mounting it. I'd like to keep it underneath to save space, but that it not likely. I like the idea of MetalMiller's spare-mount: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...installed.html

And yes, I had a drop in torque. Not significant, but I do down-shift when going up steep hills if my truck is under load. Plus, I like the way the exhaust sounds @ 2500-3500 rpms, so it's a win/win for me
Be careful if u want headers also..... I put on thorley long tube, urd y pip, and urd 3" exhaust and my low end grunt went bye bye.
I hated pulling into traffic.

Ill check metal millers out
Old 06-14-2013, 12:52 AM   #11

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

any updates?

bout ready to have someone chop it
Old 06-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
MAXTAC 07 is on a distinguished road

Name: Maxime
MAXTAC 07's Tacoma Gallery
Hello Justus,

Finally I choose an 3" exhaust from modified concept on E-Bay, and I had issue to, with the fitting around the spare tire.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/05-08-09-10-T...item51addf5663

Personally I get it to my local dealer and ask i'm to custom it.

Everything is alright since then.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #14

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey man, I still haven't gotten the full-sized spare. I will be grabbing next weekend from another member at one our TW meets, but I will be sure to let you know what mounting option I go with.
cool, thanks mang!
Old 06-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
...and we're back!

Alright, I finally mounted my 285/70r17 spare. I also trimmed the stock spare braces

It hits the stock exhaust hangars, but that's not a big deal since it doesn't get hot. It barely clears the 3" exhaust, so I will keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't make contact. Otherwise, I will either relocate the spare, or chop the exhaust.

It also hits the driver's side shackle mount, but again that's not a big deal since it doesn't move and I will eventually be doing a shackle-flip.

Here's my biggest concern:

It looks like it might JUST barely clear the pumpkin when the axle is fully stuffed, but I'm not 100% sure until it gets "field-tested".

I will run it like this for a while, and see how it goes. I may end-up building a mount on the bed-rail (like MetalMiller's), or moving the spare on top of my canopy rails. Right now, space it becoming a commodity