Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Rock sliders Price? and witch ones would you recommend

Old 10-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Rock sliders Price? and witch ones would you recommend

ok so i want to buy some rock sliders for my trucko i found these brand new for 160/180 with the brackets ready to weld on. Is that a good price or is that to expensive??? for some rock sliders???
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Those look like trail gear sliders and are Chinese DOM and a soft compound. The price is great but I myself would not go with the cheapest sliders.

Three company's here that make great sliders are Elite off road (I have on my truck, RelentlessFabrication, And of coarse B.A.M.F (My company) Any one of those choices and you will have the strongest sliders. Hybrid design is way stronger then full round.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Add 1 vote for Shrockworks. Awesome product.
http://www.shrockworks.com/
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
this is the description of the sliders...

Rock Sliders are a great way of protecting the rocker panels of your Tacoma pickup or 4Runner. Heavy duty design can take a pounding from the rocks while keeping body damage to a minimum. Strong enough to take the entire weight of the truck. A high-lift jack can be used anywhere along it's length for repositioning of rig or axle servicing. Sold in pairs. Made from 1 3/4" X .120 round HREW tubing. Bars come with the outer section welded but the legs are not attached. Legs are pre-notched and can be cut to length to allow for different mounting positions.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
this is the description of the sliders...

Rock Sliders are a great way of protecting the rocker panels of your Tacoma pickup or 4Runner. Heavy duty design can take a pounding from the rocks while keeping body damage to a minimum. Strong enough to take the entire weight of the truck. A high-lift jack can be used anywhere along it's length for repositioning of rig or axle servicing. Sold in pairs. Made from 1 3/4" X .120 round HREW tubing. Bars come with the outer section welded but the legs are not attached. Legs are pre-notched and can be cut to length to allow for different mounting positions.
That looks like a stock photo of trail Gear sliders.

And I would buy Hybrid sliders 2 x 2 .120 square has nearly the same MOI as the 2 x 250 round, and is 35% lighter still (or 25% stronger and less than half the weight of the 1.75 x .5 round)

OD_ / ID_ = ....MOI........ Weight
.......... round square ,round square
1.5 /.120 = .125 , .212 , 1.77 , 2.25
1.5 /.188 = .170 , .289 , 2.63 , 3.35
1.5 /.250 = .199 , .339 , 3.34 , 4.11
1.5 /.375 = .233 , .... , 4.51
1.5 /.500 = .245 , .... , 5.34

1.75/.120 = .205 , .348 , 2.09
1.75/.188 = .285 , .484 , 3.14
1.75/.250 = .341 , ....., 4.01
1.75/.375 = .411 , .... , 5.51
1.75/.500 = .445 , .... , 6.68

2.0 /.120 = .314 , .534 , 2.41 , 3.05
2.0 /.188 = .444 , .754 , 3.64 , 4.32
2.0 /.250 = .537 , .911 , 4.67 , 5.41
2.0 /.375 = .666 , .... , 6.51
2.0 /.500 = .736 , .... , 8.01

2.25/.120 = .457 , .... , 2.73
2.25/.250 = .798 , .... , 5.34
2.25/.375 =1.01 , ..... , 7.51
2.25/.500 =1.138 , .... , 9.35

2.5 /.120 = .637 , .... , 3.05
2.5 /.250 =1.132 , .... , 6.01
2.5 /.375 =1.457 , .... , 8.51
2.5 /.500 =1.669 , .... ,10.68

http://mnhpva.org/tech/frame_tubes.html
Old 10-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
OP...
cheaper isnt always better for protection. You would never buy the cheapest condom would you??
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #8
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
OP...
cheaper isnt always better for protection. You would never buy the cheapest condom would you??
Forecasting this thread may go off topic pretty soon
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
its from a local company from utah call lowrangeoffroad.com not to far from my house so i just stopped by and asked what they had and thats about it but idk nothing about them so ya thats why im asking
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I believe in overbuilding rather than just enough

With that being said, there are plenty of folks who will build you a set of hybrid or full DOM tube sliders for a little bit more

I had a guy build mine and I'd bet that they are just as strong as anything on the market...and I didnt pay much more than what those cost + cost of having someone weld them on etc
Old 10-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #11

TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
Personally I believe in overbuilding rather than just enough

With that being said, there are plenty of folks who will build you a set of hybrid or full DOM tube sliders for a little bit more

I had a guy build mine and I'd bet that they are just as strong as anything on the market...and I didnt pay much more than what those cost + cost of having someone weld them on etc
i got a friend that build his own front bumper and i am going to ask him if he can help me build a pair but i just dont want to take his time off his other work he's doing, i'm gonna go check these out first in person and see how good exactly these ones are, heck maybe the picture is just one they grabbed from the internet on it mite just be and old pic of what they use to have
Old 10-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

they'll still be HREW and not DOM
Old 10-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i got a friend that build his own front bumper and i am going to ask him if he can help me build a pair but i just dont want to take his time off his other work he's doing, i'm gonna go check these out first in person and see how good exactly these ones are, heck maybe the picture is just one they grabbed from the internet on it mite just be and old pic of what they use to have
Quote:
its from a local company from utah call lowrangeoffroad.com not to far from my house so i just stopped by and asked what they had and thats about it but idk nothing about them so ya thats why im asking
LongRangeoffroad is a Trail Gear dealer those are Trail Gear sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
they'll still be HREW and not DOM
You don't need DOM for sliders USA HREW is stronger then China DOM anyway so don't let the DOM fool you into buying.

I myself would not buy Trail Gear sliders and really not the HREW ones. I have installed the DOM sliders and the steel compound is a lot softer then USA HREW.

To the OP I would talk to your buddy and have him build a you a set of sliders they would be far stronger then TG but you can do what you want.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
You also would have to buy the frame plates and gussets for that kit they do not come with them and here is a shot of the TG gussets compared to the vendors on this forum.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
tclarke1 is on a distinguished road

Army: 82ND Airborne DIV.
Name: Tyler
tclarke1's Tacoma Gallery
Although the weight of the 2.0 / .120 square is 30% heavier than the 1.75 / .120 round tubing..

Obviously the square hybrid tubes are going to be stronger, but maybe the extra size and weight is just over-kill. If 1.75 round allows the truck to be jacked up, more strength seems unnecessary.

If you think about it the weakest point of the sliders are the mounting welds and the gussets, and the gussets for all the sliders are 3/16 plates, so it's the same. Bending any kind of steel sliders is going to be nearly impossible unless its a major wreck...

And IMO the thicker sliders look to bulky and ugly.. When I buy mine I'm probably going to go with the cheaper ones because I really just want them to step up on and protect my sides from other drivers throwing their doors open..

And if I do my occasional light off-roading, I'm sure they'll still protect my sides from rocks and debris..

Although I'm not a 4wheeler so I wont actually be sliding down a giant rock wall...

OP just think about how you're going to use them and what kind of strength to weight ratio your truck will require and factor in how much you want to spend ya know?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclarke1 View Post
Although the weight of the 2.0 / .120 square is 30% heavier than the 1.75 / .120 round tubing..

Obviously the square hybrid tubes are going to be stronger, but maybe the extra size and weight is just over-kill. If 1.75 round allows the truck to be jacked up, more strength seems unnecessary.

If you think about it the weakest point of the sliders are the mounting welds and the gussets, and the gussets for all the sliders are 3/16 plates, so it's the same. Bending any kind of steel sliders is going to be nearly impossible unless its a major wreck...

And IMO the thicker sliders look to bulky and ugly.. When I buy mine I'm probably going to go with the cheaper ones because I really just want them to step up on and protect my sides from other drivers throwing their doors open..

And if I do my occasional light off-roading, I'm sure they'll still protect my sides from rocks and debris..

Although I'm not a 4wheeler so I wont actually be sliding down a giant rock wall...

OP just think about how you're going to use them and what kind of strength to weight ratio your truck will require and factor in how much you want to spend ya know?

Yeah but jacking up and dropping down on to a rock are two different things The Hybrid slider is a far better design then full round tube.

and if you look at the picture above not all 3/16th gussets are the same.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #17
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
You don't need DOM for sliders USA HREW is stronger then China DOM anyway so don't let the DOM fool you into buying.
sorry...thats what I meant...USA steel

I forget sometimes that companies still use the inferior stuff
Old 10-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok so i want to buy some rock sliders for my trucko i found these brand new for 160/180 with the brackets ready to weld on. Is that a good price or is that to expensive??? for some rock sliders???

Those are the TG ones I have. I love em and you can't beat the price.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #20
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I always laught at how sliders are so hotly debated. And even more so, how so many people badmouth Trail Gear products just because they heard something about them. If you don't have first had experience with the products then it's nothing but opinion....at best.

I'm not badmouthing any of the other options out there, but I've got TG sliders on both my trucks and I've been beating on them for years now without issue. Sorry haters, but they work. Plain and simple.