Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review on Undercover cover

Old 04-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #22
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my Undercover on the truck continuous for over a year now. Everything has stayed dry and secure. It cost new $703 total installed. From other posts the Armor lids are slightly cheaper in price and actually give slightly more storage height because they lack the molded part coming down inside the channels that ride the rails of the bed. The Undercover can't be removed by sliding it forward and removing the rings while still locked in the rear because of this feature. More secure, compared to Armor lid, for .5" storage height and a few lb's lighter weight worth it??

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ molded channel
http://www.armorlid.com/ Smooth underlid design..

I'm curious of some of the remarks on this post concerning the front rings and fitment issues? I'm sure there has been product improvement but I haven't had any issues.

The rings are at least .25" from touching paint on the cab. When I got home, like Roland I did a slight adjustment for the perfect fit. Mine is a tight fit of .25" on both the sides and tailgate. The way mine fits you can't open the tailgate with the well made barrel locks engaged. Also being locked in the back with only .25" of play, if the lid were forced to the front, it would not be sufficient to allow the tabs to be lifted off the mount. What I'm trying to say is that you’re not going to get into the bed without a crowbar or hammer to force the locks and ruin the lid. As stated I've left mine on as you can really get a lot of stuff under it.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #23
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Can one man take this off by him self?

I had one on my 00 taco last year and it was a pain in the A$$ to take off by my self...

I bet it weighed 80 pounds and it was bulky, I could barely get my hands around it...I eventually had to rig up a pully system in the rafters of my garage and use my ATV winch to lift it off...It made it easier, but what a pain...

Now i have a DC short bed...So im guessin its not as heavy...but just wondering can you do it by yourself?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Racer78 is on a distinguished road

Racer78's Tacoma Gallery
Took mine off this weekend myself. Pulled the struts, pulled the front pins, lifted and pulled the cover to the rear of the truck over the lock plate and off no problems. I have to make a bracket to store the cover sideways on the wall.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #25
popealope is on a distinguished road
popealope's Tacoma Gallery
Cargo bed divider

If I install the Undercover Tonneau cover can I still use the Tacoma cargo bed divider that fits in the multi-track system?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #26
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I just installed mine... I have the main cleats still in there so I don't see why not.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #27
tacomamodboy is on a distinguished road

tacomamodboy's Tacoma Gallery
for the spiral ring problem i just took my rings off , theres so much pressure from the struts theres no way its gonna go forward
Old 05-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #28
James08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJames08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

James08's Tacoma Gallery
What is a good price on one of these? I looked on ebay, and they were $700 after the shipping.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #29
baldy54 is on a distinguished road
baldy54's Tacoma Gallery
Where is a good place to find them??
Old 05-21-2009, 09:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by James08 View Post
What is a good price on one of these? I looked on ebay, and they were $700 after the shipping.
thats the cheapest ive found online i got mine at a custom truck parts store and it ended up being the same price as if i had gotten it online
Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy54 View Post
Where is a good place to find them??
you can go to the under cover website and im sure it will have some kind of dealer locater that will list places near you that carry them
Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #33
Nolz is on a distinguished road

Name: Eddie
Nolz's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover was installed by dealer. Rain collects on it and when I lift it up the water run down and into the bed of the truck. Has anyone else experienced this issue... any other solutions? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #34
popealope is on a distinguished road
popealope's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the cover myself (easy, in about 20 minutes) and I get the same issue of water running into the bed of the truck when I lift it after rain. Otherwise I love it. If someone has a solution to this issue that would be great to know. I paid $850 (CND) cash and carry and bought it at Crackmasters in St. Albert, AB.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #35
Toomacho is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Toomacho's Tacoma Gallery
Ordered mine today...

I just ordered my Undercover from Line-X in Cleveland GA. 650.00 installed. I am going tomorrow to get it, and will post my opinion of the product and that dealer.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #36
savit260 is on a distinguished road
savit260's Tacoma Gallery
First post here,

I'm interested in purchasing an Undercover , but I definitly need a minimum of 17" of clearance between the top of the ridge on the bed floor, and the bottom of the cover.

Could someone be kind enough to take a tape measure, and check the clearance from the high point of the floor to the underside of the cover? Should be close, but I don't want to order one, and find out that it doesn't have quite enough clearance.

This would be for a current generation Tacoma.

thanks.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 AM   #37
ugotdubbz is on a distinguished road
ugotdubbz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by savit260 View Post
First post here,

I'm interested in purchasing an Undercover , but I definitly need a minimum of 17" of clearance between the top of the ridge on the bed floor, and the bottom of the cover.

Could someone be kind enough to take a tape measure, and check the clearance from the high point of the floor to the underside of the cover? Should be close, but I don't want to order one, and find out that it doesn't have quite enough clearance.

This would be for a current generation Tacoma.

thanks.
I am getting about 16-7/8" to 16-15/16".

I just got my Undercover last week off a guy on Craigslist for $140. He had just bought his Tacoma to haul bicycles in the bed and the cover was in his way. So far I love it. No issues with water leaks. I only wish the tiedowns would fit better. I will probably get the smaller tiedowns so it doesn't interfer with the cover seals setting tight on top of the bed.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #38
Thanks for the reply. Guess that eleminates the Undercover for me unfortunatly. Thanks agian, you just saved me on major headache, and a bunch of money.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #39
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by savit260 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Guess that eleminates the Undercover for me unfortunatly. Thanks agian, you just saved me on major headache, and a bunch of money.
Couldn't you use some 1/4" or even 1/8th" plastic spacers to get yer the 17" you need? Where's our Engineer at today...
Old 10-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean's View Post
Couldn't you use some 1/4" or even 1/8th" plastic spacers to get yer the 17" you need? Where's our Engineer at today...

Sounds like a recipie for leaks.

Anyone have experience with the Armor Lid. That looks very similar with a little more clearance.

I've read here that the Undercover can be removed by one person if you are careful. How about the Armor lid?