Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review on Undercover cover

Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #41
Backinnatruck is on a distinguished road
Backinnatruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz View Post
Undercover was installed by dealer. Rain collects on it and when I lift it up the water run down and into the bed of the truck. Has anyone else experienced this issue... any other solutions? Thanks.

I had the same rain problem on my new truck/new cover, which was dealer installed. My truck is not a Tacoma (boo hiss), and I know I'm not supposed to be here, but I may have an answer for you. I drive a new F150 and my new Undercover did exactly the same thing. Problem is Undercover has redesigned the hinges to supposedly prevent the front rubber gasket from rolling under itself at the bulkhead. My new cover shipped with the wrong (older) hinges. Not sure why, because I bought my 2009 in May so unless I'm the first 2009 F150 buyer who ever installed an Undercover....

Anyway, it took a lot of calls to the dealer (turned out to be useless once they had my money) and Undercover before I finally got my free correct hinges. Had to drill off the old ones and rivet on the new ones myself (hence the useless dealer comment above). But since it took so long to get to this point, now the rubber is formed poorly and still rolls under the cover. So now Undercover has sent me free replacement rubber and glue, so when it warms up here in Canada again I'll scrape off the old rubber and put on this new stuff. It's too cold to do that now, the rubber may not form correctly again, and it only leaks a little when I lift the hood wet, so it's not a huge deal for the winter anyway.

So, sorry for intruding on your Toyota forum, but maybe this is a cross-platform problem you have. You can always call Undercover toll free at 866-900-8800 and see what they say. They're pretty helpful, although they don't always follow through on what they say they're going to do unless you remind them a few times. But they're pretty accessible. I've spoken to their customer service people, CS Manager, their engineer, and their president, and they all seem to want to help.

Good luck with this.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #42
Toomacho is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Toomacho's Tacoma Gallery
Check the rubber strip at the cab of the truck. It does sometimes get folded under when being installed. I had to reinstall after the dealer install also. No problems after that.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #43
Got Tacoma will become famous soon enough
Name: Gila
Got Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by popealope View Post
I installed the cover myself (easy, in about 20 minutes) and I get the same issue of water running into the bed of the truck when I lift it after rain. Otherwise I love it. If someone has a solution to this issue that would be great to know. I paid $850 (CND) cash and carry and bought it at Crackmasters in St. Albert, AB.
Buy a California squeegee. It is an extremely soft squeegee about 10" wide made of silicone.
Just squeegee the water towards the rear or side of the bed and your done. When you are done store the squeegee under your rear seat.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM   #44
Got Tacoma will become famous soon enough
Name: Gila
Got Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4trd View Post
I've had my Undercover on the truck continuous for over a year now. Everything has stayed dry and secure. It cost new $703 total installed. From other posts the Armor lids are slightly cheaper in price and actually give slightly more storage height because they lack the molded part coming down inside the channels that ride the rails of the bed. The Undercover can't be removed by sliding it forward and removing the rings while still locked in the rear because of this feature. More secure, compared to Armor lid, for .5" storage height and a few lb's lighter weight worth it??

http://www.undercoverinfo.com/ molded channel
http://www.armorlid.com/ Smooth underlid design..

I'm curious of some of the remarks on this post concerning the front rings and fitment issues? I'm sure there has been product improvement but I haven't had any issues.

The rings are at least .25" from touching paint on the cab. When I got home, like Roland I did a slight adjustment for the perfect fit. Mine is a tight fit of .25" on both the sides and tailgate. The way mine fits you can't open the tailgate with the well made barrel locks engaged. Also being locked in the back with only .25" of play, if the lid were forced to the front, it would not be sufficient to allow the tabs to be lifted off the mount. What I'm trying to say is that you’re not going to get into the bed without a crowbar or hammer to force the locks and ruin the lid. As stated I've left mine on as you can really get a lot of stuff under it.

I purchased an undercover directly from the company about 2 weeks ago. I believe the front hinges are redesigned. In your picture it looks like the metal where the rings go into is straight. On mine the metal is curved down slightly and my rings do not point forward they fall to the side and remain there. I will get you a picture of my rings in the future.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #45
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
Around how much does this cost ?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #46
FirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud ofFirstCohort has much to be proud of
Marines:
FirstCohort's Tacoma Gallery
I have the accesslite cover and want an undercover now instead. I like the fact that this cover is water tight. I wish I could make my cover water tight. It looks like water rolls off the cover and directly through the sides of the tailgate right into the bed. What a pain while we were Christmas shopping I had to throw everything that couldn't get wet into the cab with 4 people in it! I am going to try the access trail seal tailgate seal and I hope that works to keep the water out. Anybody use that? Does it work?
Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #47
Richard E is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airborne Radio
Name: Richard
Richard E's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover Questions

I am still waiting the arrival of my 2010 DC LB Prerunner. Next week maybe! Anyway, I am doing some research about how to equip the truck for my needs, which are:

1. Part time handyman work, with hand tools, small parts bins.
2. Occasional 8' and 10' ladder.
3. Transporting sheet goods - 4x8
4. Occasional bicycles and picnicking stuff.

I think the undercover would work most of the time, but if I put the ladders in the bed, sticking out over the tailgate, can the cover be tied down? I only work within a 5 mile radius of my house. And I ususally don't put the ladders on the truck until I am on the way to a customer's house.

thanx for any input.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #48
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody that has any undercover have problems with it rubbing the paint?

Co-worker has one on a Tundra, and it rubs. BUT, it's a "universal" for 6' beds and not specifically for the Tundra.

BTW - Great review!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #49
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover does not make universal 6' bed covers. The part number of the cover is on the underside, molded into the plastic in the center. I don't think it would be wearing the paint on a tundra if it was the correct cover.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #50
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrn2taco View Post
Undercover does not make universal 6' bed covers. The part number of the cover is on the underside, molded into the plastic in the center. I don't think it would be wearing the paint on a tundra if it was the correct cover.
You're right, I just looked. Maybe he was sold on a "universal" when it was really for a F150 or Silverado 6'.

At any rate, does the undercover rub on the Tacomas for the correct matched cover? Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #51
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
If it where to wear on anything on the Tacoma it would be plastic. I have never had a complaint about wear from anyone I have installed.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #53
Toomacho is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
Toomacho's Tacoma Gallery
No rubbing problems with mine either. It's been on for about 4 months now and I am very pleased with it still.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #54

If I'm getting the Undercover; should I buy a pop & lock? Thoughts?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #55
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover and Undercover SE both come over the tailgate and it's impossible to open the gate. You can unlock the Gate latch but it's impossible to get any force on the tailgate handle. Even if you put a huge hook on tailgate handle and a chain to pull it attached to another Tacoma for example...The Tailgate handle would break before it opens.

Having said all that if the Undercover is not properly installed and thers significant play...Then possibly.

Wheni go back there to get something i'm not unlocking 2 locks. Fortunately, The Undercover SE has only 1 lock in the middle, whereas the Regular undercover has 2ea. locks one would have to unlock to gain access. Add the popnlock and theres 3! Even if you had [opnlock remote, you would still have to unlock the Undercover by hand...

So,k for me i went with only the Undercover lock...
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #56
Richard E is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Airborne Radio
Name: Richard
Richard E's Tacoma Gallery
Thanx

Thank you for your help. I took a look at the cover today at an auto parts store. I like it. It will work for me, except when I need to load bikes, which is as often any more now that I am older!

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #57
Shaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to beholdShaggy is a splendid one to behold

Shaggy's Tacoma Gallery
RichardE - I have driven local with the top up with stuff in the bed as well as using bungee cords to hold it down - up to 50MPH without any issues. Also have the bed extender so a 6' ladder fits nicely (short bed)
Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #58
derk is on a distinguished road
derk's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine, did have to make minor adjustments to get the fit right. I recall paying $600 even from Truck alterations, they included shipping, but this might have been due to buying a Bedrug at the same time which I also love. No problem with the rings. I agree they have two opening in the front that allow water to get in so you'll need to add weather strips for that. You need to tighten the locks every now and then. I also looked at Armor lids and found them a bit taller, not as well made, about $100 less when I looked around. I think their in Reno NV. I'd buy another Undercover in a heart beat. They shine up well too. Mine looks like new and I've had it for over 3 years now.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #59
truckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant futuretruckalter has a brilliant future
truckalter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
I love mine, did have to make minor adjustments to get the fit right. I recall paying $600 even from Truck alterations, they included shipping, but this might have been due to buying a Bedrug at the same time which I also love. No problem with the rings. I agree they have two opening in the front that allow water to get in so you'll need to add weather strips for that. You need to tighten the locks every now and then. I also looked at Armor lids and found them a bit taller, not as well made, about $100 less when I looked around. I think their in Reno NV. I'd buy another Undercover in a heart beat. They shine up well too. Mine looks like new and I've had it for over 3 years now.
They average about $650 these days...
Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #60
Ocean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really niceOcean's is just really nice

Ocean's's Tacoma Gallery
Update on Undercover SE for Short Bed Double Cab. I had to appologize for removing my order for the New Undercover. I have waited for 6 months and they still have not completed it. I did wait patiently and I'm sure it, like the previous model were and are Great Covers.

I'm just tired of waiting. I called and cancelled my order and am now going with a Snug-Top with Fold down front window, Carpeted interior, Sliding side windows, single latch system, (Can Lock and unlock from the inside, 12 volt intgerior light.

Watch and see... Undercover SE will come out next week...lol!