Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Review on Undercover cover

Old 01-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #81
12Tacoma will become famous soon enough12Tacoma will become famous soon enough
12Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Can you post some pics of the small discs for paint protection? I just got my cover about a month ago and don't have what you explained.
Sure I will take a pic tomorrow in the daytime for you. The two discs are in the mounting hardware bag on a piece of white backing marked "mylar paint protection" would be very easy to misplace them amongst the instructions.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #82
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
My locks have been freezing up these past few days. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it? I sprayed some fluid film in the locks hoping to prevent it but it didn't work.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #83
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Spray mine with silicone, never had them freeze yet.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #84
Phantom is on a distinguished road
Phantom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
Spray mine with silicone, never had them freeze yet.
Thanks..I'll give that a try
Old 02-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #85
Murman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Murman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
My locks have been freezing up these past few days. Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent it? I sprayed some fluid film in the locks hoping to prevent it but it didn't work.
On a regular basis, I open the covers on the locks and drive around with them like that. I also leave the covers open on a sunny day to allow the moisture inside the locks to evaporate. If there's no moisture inside, they can't freeze, right?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #86
blunt is on a distinguished road
blunt's Tacoma Gallery
Holy crap - I just got a quote from a local dealer on an Undercover for $830 plus $70 to install. They don't even have one on display, so I can't even check it out first. I'd be going on blind faith that I will like it.

Can't see how that can be price can be justified....
Old 06-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #87
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I have a couple questions...

I am buying a used Undercover, and I have to drive a couple hours to pick it up. What tools will I need to install thins in the guys driveway?

Also, I have a 2012... Am I correct in assuming all covers 2005-2012 will fit?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #88
Murman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Murman's Tacoma Gallery
Standard socket wrench set will work to install it. It mounts to the cargo rails inside the bed. Not sure if it will fit your Tacoma or not. Check the Undercover website and see if the model numbers are the same for the 2011 and 2012 Tacoma.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #89
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
You will need a 10mm socket/ratchet or a wrench for the rear 4 bolts near the tailgate.

You will also need a 1/2" socket or wrench.

The manual states a 3/8" is needed but your truck is metric and the bolts in the back are reused factory bolts which are 10mm.

A tape measure is helpful as well.

All you need to bolt up is the front hinge brackets and then the top will be on. At least then you can leave the transaction with the stranger and adjust it to your liking when you get home.

Here is the install manual

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/manu...oma_4050_d.pdf

I just picked up a used one as well a few weeks back and it was a easy install. Do not tighten the 10mm overly tight, they can snap easy.

05-12 are all the same bed so the cover will fit correctly.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #90
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent, This is why I love this place... you guys rock...

thanks...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #91
TacomaCZman is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
TacomaCZman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
Holy crap - I just got a quote from a local dealer on an Undercover for $830 plus $70 to install. They don't even have one on display, so I can't even check it out first. I'd be going on blind faith that I will like it.

Can't see how that can be price can be justified....
My local dealer sells them for $775 + $25 installation. I was looking at one on AnythingAuto.com. Sells for $667 + S&H. It was on sale recently for under $600. They have a coupon for 10% off of anything over $300.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #92
genuine will become famous soon enough
genuine's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,

I'm about to purchase an undercover tonneau cover for my 03' TRD (standard cab). I currently have a bed liner that covers the rails and was told I'll have to trim that. Does anybody have one of these installed and know which parts I will need to trim? All the way around including tailgate? Just the sides? Only a the middle of the sides? etc... I'm just trying to salvage as much of the bed liner.

Thanks!
Joey
Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #93
FunTaco is on a distinguished road
FunTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz View Post
Undercover was installed by dealer. Rain collects on it and when I lift it up the water run down and into the bed of the truck. Has anyone else experienced this issue... any other solutions? Thanks.

Yes I have this same issue. It's my only complaint about mine. except of course I want much stronger struts or a hood holder type bar for when I have four bikes mounted to the track system I have on the undercover. It's just too much weight for to hold the cover up when I want to get something out. But I have to say to have 4 bike mounted and still be able to lift the cover and access the bed is pretty damn cool and I get some funny looks in parking lots when I do it. Long bed of course so I set the towers/cross bars and bike tracks back just enough so I could lift the cover with out a tire hitting the back of the cab.
Anyway YES other than a small cut off handled broom behind the back seat to sweep off the water before opening, I don't know of a way to solve that issue either
Old 08-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #94
HDTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: HD
HDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Is the water collecting on the top of the cover still an issue or has it been corrected with newer models?
Thanks,
HD
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #95
Grease Monkey
glandnut will become famous soon enoughglandnut will become famous soon enough

glandnut's Tacoma Gallery
How about a quick swipe with one of those California Water blades?
Old 02-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #96
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I had a backflip cover on my 09 and liked it a lot except for the water leaks it had. I have a 13 now and bought a new toolbox for it.

I am searching for a used undercover now so that I can get rid of the toolbox. Once you have a cover on your bed you cannot do without one.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #97
Fivepack is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Med Tech 1971 - 1988
Fivepack's Tacoma Gallery
Hope this hasn't already been answered.
I have a new 2014 with the rail system. Does the Undercover come with different brackets for installing on the rail system.
I had one on my Ford Ranger with the tabs that lock on with stainless rings. I like the idea of the newer version with the rail brackets.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #98
zboy is a jewel in the roughzboy is a jewel in the roughzboy is a jewel in the rough

zboy's Tacoma Gallery
Had mine 2yrs working great
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #99
Defender3 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: CMSgt
Defender3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivepack View Post
Hope this hasn't already been answered.
I have a new 2014 with the rail system. Does the Undercover come with different brackets for installing on the rail system.
I had one on my Ford Ranger with the tabs that lock on with stainless rings. I like the idea of the newer version with the rail brackets.
I have a 2014 CDLB and had an undercover installed with the new rail system.