1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review on Undercover cover

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by longbow, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Nov 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM
    longbow

longbow [OP] I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    The cover has been talk about here for some time now so I decided to write a review with "my opinions". I have had the cover a little over six months now. And as for the price, well I have a friend who cut me a deal on one since he owed me a favor.
    The cover is Model 4050 Tacoma Quad Cab Short Bed. 2005-current "with multi track system"
    The cover has basically 3 brackets per side, all the brackets mount to the rail except for two of them and they mount to the screws (on truck already) at the end of the bed near the tail gate.
    This is a no drill set up, easy on and easy off. Don't let the size fool you.
    All the brackets have a protective backing on them so they will not mess up the rail. All the hardware is S.S.
    The cover has built in bed poitioning hinges, and the front mounting brackets slide into them.
    The great thing about it is, it comes with two J-hooks for hanging it up.
    My cover is water tight, I added 2 small pieces of weather stripping to the forward mounting brackets (less than 2" long) just to be safe. Even through a pressure wash, I had no leakage. Now I will get on with the PRO'S and CON'S

PRO'S

• Easy set up, for me (one person) less than 15 minutes to remove and install.
    • All brackets can be removed, so if you want to sell it or have a clean look.
    • Double locks w/two keys
    • Double struts
    • Water tight (for me)
    • Built in light, 3 small LEDS. But hey it's light.
    • Cover overhangs 3 sides, so no need to have a pop lock.
    • Comes with hardware to hang it up if removed. (allow 70" top to bottom on this model)
    • Can be painted if you like.
    • Struts when removing cover attach to cover by storage clip.
    • Tools needed are 3/8" wrench or socket and 1/2" wrench or socket.
    • Customer Service is top notch, answered e-mails and phone calls the same day.
    Con's

• Price, but then have you checks the prices on the others?
    • On the front mounting brackets, to keep secure there are 2 small spiral rings. Don't like this!! can scratch truck and cover. I am looking into a solution as I write this.
    Well I hope this has helped some of you out. If any pic's are needed of certain areas just let me know. Check out my pic's if you want to see it installed on a silver Tacoma.

2. Nov 11, 2008 at 10:53 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    pictures?

Good review BTW, thanks!

3. Nov 11, 2008 at 10:58 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I added this just in case someone wanted to see the struts, or how something gets bolted on etc.

4. Nov 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    I was just at my local watering hole. I'm waking in I see a new 08 silver DC TRD#2 Pre. It had the short bed and the same cover. It's raining hard so I just took a quick look. I didn't want to F with the guys Tacoma so I went in had a few, the dart game was ending so I asked and found the owner. WE went out side and checked it out. His was $700 installed(he paid retail). The thing kicked ass. It was strong as hell I could plop my 240LB ass on it like nothing (he said give it a try after a few beers wet pants who cares). This one had two knobs turn them and it opens had a small but good light dampers that opened it like a trunk. With the hevey rain no water at all dry as hell. I found the emblem on the right side it said UNDERCOVERINFO.COM. check it out. He din't tell me the knobs had keys to lock. Don't know how strong the locks are. I'm done all and all it was very nice. UNDERCOVERINFO.COM has a lot of info. about them.

5. Nov 12, 2008 at 4:50 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    My undercover tonneau is almost 2 1/2 years old and the rings that I have are made from a pretty large gauge wire. They fit the hole in the mounting bracket closely enough that they don't really bounce around and after over 2 years I don't see any marks on the cover. I have strong fingers and don't have a problem with them but my father used to have to use needlenose pliers to get them on and off. I wonder if Undercover had complaints and went to a lighter guage ring to make it easier.

I'm a draftsman and I get a bit obsessive about some things. When I mounted the cover according to the dimensions in the manual it seemed a bit too far forward. The gasket didn't quite line up on and the back rim of the cover was almost in contact on the tailgate which didn't give much to grab to lift the cover. I moved the mounting brackets back enough that the overhang in the back matched the overhang on the sides. Now the gasket lines up nicely on top of the tailgate and the mounting brackets are back far enough that there's no way the rings can touch the truck.

While making my post installation inspection I had also noticed that at the back of the truck the cover had more overhang on the right than on the left. A little bit engineering magic determined that moving the drivers side bracket forward 5/64th of an inch would square things up.

6. Nov 12, 2008 at 6:34 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I do know they changed the locks a little. My father owns one about a year older than mine, in my opinion the locks are a little fatter and more easy to get ahold/control of.
    My spiral rings are heavy, I know there is a simple solution to this, just need to go to the ole style hardware/farmers store and find it. I will keep everyone posted if I find something better.

Forgot to add this, this last time I removed it, I droped it on the corner, (edge caught some cuts on my fingers) if wasn't a far drop. I check it out afterwards and not a mark, still as sound as the first day I bought it.

As for alignment, know what you mean. Most shops who sell it, want you in and out and payment. I to did some measuring to make sure everything was lined up and the gaps were equal all the way around.

7. Nov 12, 2008 at 7:27 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Actually I had self installed and am positive (measured with a vernier caliper within thousandths ) my brackets were exactly placed. Either the metal tabs wern't located exactly square on the cover and/or the bed of my truck is just a wee bit out of square or a bit of both. Knowing real world manufacturing I'd say everything was within a reasonable tolorance for parts that large and the and the small amount I needed to move the bracket to compensate for the misalignment wasn't an issue.

8. Nov 12, 2008 at 10:06 AM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    I also have one (de-badged, LOL) and when I saw the three LED's I laughed... out loud...

But one night I was trying to load some stuff into it so I clicked the light on- DUDE!!! It makes a huge difference!

I take mine off and put it back on routinely when I have to carry big loads and it's not that tough to do.

I agree on the spiral rings, I'm actually considering small pad-locks, because the locks on the back are rendered useless if you simply twist the rings out of the front (it keeps an honest person honest, but won't stop a thief)

I do see some marks where it hits my bed cleats, but it's not a big deal...

Good review, and I agree with you - well worth it!

9. Nov 12, 2008 at 10:27 AM
    Justin626

Justin626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport DC Super White
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    I picked mine up used for around $400. I bought it a couple months ago and haven't had to load anything large in the bed since, but it's real easy to take on and off. I'm just happy that all the little crap I like to throw in the bed isn't trying to fly out a highway speed and I don't get the snow build up, just to make a lake in my garage later. All in all, it was good purchase. Though if I had to pay full price, I would have gone with the a Bakflip or a Fold-a-cover.

10. Dec 12, 2008 at 11:28 AM
    staticprotocol13

staticprotocol13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    What about Armor Lids... I think that's a little bit cheaper than Undercover. I am trying to find the cheapest but with good quality cover for my short bed taco... So far the cheapest that I found in my area (San Fernando Valley, CA) is the Armor Lids. But I have not found any kind of review (exept from their website) on the web.

I apreciate any comments regarding this Armor lids. thank you guys.

11. Dec 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    WOW! That looks great with the matching paint! Now I'm interested in doing this! Where did you go to get it painted, your local paint shop, or did you do it yourself? If you had it painted at a shop, how much did it cost?

12. Dec 16, 2008 at 2:01 PM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
  13. Feb 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Im going to be picking up one of these Undercover covers tomorrow and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on them. So, I did a search and sure enough...bingo!

This is a great forum, thanks for the reviews.

14. Feb 25, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Well, the cover fit's pretty nice. I was surprized just how simple it was to toss on. I picked it up used in mint shape off a guy who needed a truck cap instead. The little L.E.D light mounted inside the cover does a really good job of helping you finding your way around in the dark.

For $200.00 CDN for the cover, plus another 5 bucks to power up the L.E.D light, I think I got a great deal!

15. Feb 26, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Way to go on the cover, :thumbsup: I am sure it will last you many years.

16. Mar 7, 2009 at 1:46 PM
    drjkoo

drjkoo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just installed the UnderCover on a 2009 QuadCab, 6-foot bed. Took me a bit longer to install as I'm quite obsessive with installations. In general, I'm pleased. I agree with others that the alignment was not perfect at first, but with some minor tweaking of the bracket struts, it fits nicely over the back tailgate, effectively locking the tailgate.

I agree with the spiral rings. On my truck, the spiral rings are far enough away that they don't scratch the actual truck cab. There is wear on the front bracket strut where the spiral rings attach. When the tonneau is open, the ring pushes up on the front struts and scratches a bit each time. I am not a big fan of the marks but I'm happy that it's not on the actual truck. Hope that makes sense.

Given those couple negatives, I still think it's a great cover. Relatively water tight and looks nice on my black tacoma. I've even gotten a couple of stranger compliments.

[​IMG]

17. Mar 7, 2009 at 6:09 PM
    bull

bull Member

Member:
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Found one on Craigslist for $300 and the guy helped put it on my truck. It is everything I was looking for in a cover. Heavy rain forecast this week so we'll see how it does.

18. Mar 7, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    Vinyl Taco

Vinyl Taco Diffuse Pattern Recognition

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmie
    Hutto,Tx
    Vehicle:
    White prerunnerV6,lots of vinyl!
    k/n,gibson exhaust,jetchip,redline tuning struts,undercover tonneau,revtek/toytec hybrid 3'',mb motoring v-drive 16x8,285/75/16,BF Goodrich A/T. ,G2 4.56 gears, Doug Thorley pipe-bomb.pioneer premier deh-p580mp cd player,focal 165 a1 components 6.5 front,kicker ks65 6.5 rear.
    I've had mine for 3 years and still holds up to my abuse.....The reason I bought it was it was tough as shit and it wasn't made from fiber glass.....and easy to come off,like in 5 mins.....So all in all very good product for the money.....

19. Mar 11, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    I installed mine this past weekend. I have an 09 DC-LB. The install went well. Mine lined up fine. It is a great cover, strong ( my two boys decided to walk around on it ) lightweight. The led in the cover works surprisingly well.

But, like other, I thing the split ring setup is pretty lame and for the price could be improved. I would think they could have done some sort of inside hinge with removable pins.

HTH

20. Mar 18, 2009 at 4:15 AM
    longbow

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    I seen a member here that had an idea, he used two of those very small all weather master locks (black).
    I have the locks but still need to take a look see at it, I believe I may need to file the hole downwards a little to fit. But the idea is sound and looks like it is a factory install.

Products Discussed in

To Top