1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ipod adapter for stock stereo

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Smurfio18, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Nov 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM
    Smurfio18

Smurfio18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northridge
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD PreRunner
    I keep it Stock but Clean!
    Just installed a USA-SPEC Model # PA15-TOY ipod adapter in my 2006 Taco ( Stock single disc Stereo). First, the installation was easy. Remove stereo from housing- Plug in supplied cord into back of stereo unit, run cord to glove box-done. The Module makes your stock stereo thinks its connected to a CD changer so it will work with all second gen taco stereos even if you don't have a SAT/Aux button. The display will read out track title and artist. Sound quality is great and the module has an additional aux input (RCA) for any additional devices you want to connect. I paid $140 for the unit and couldn't be happier with it.

2. Nov 15, 2008 at 11:08 PM
    05TRDTACO

05TRDTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DC-silver TRD Off-Road
    Fabtech 6" lift, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD air filter, TRD exhaust, Optima redtop battery, 18% tint all around, debadged, fog light mod, power plugs hot all the time mod, Streamlight Stinger mounted behind seat, Viper 5704v security system and remote start, rear diff breather mod, & auxiliary fuse box
    I have the same one and I couldn't agree more! I'm using it on the stock 6 disc changer and it works great! I used to have the Peripheral and this one is much much better! The only thing I wish that it did and this is not a very big deal, but if it displayed the album as well as the track and artist that would be awesome. Other than that it is a perfect kit. Got mine for $140 as well.

3. Nov 16, 2008 at 4:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'll plus this one up- I bought two- One for each car and I'm super happy that I did.

4. Nov 16, 2008 at 6:49 AM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    Quick question. Why didn't you spend that money on an aftermarket radio that had sat and an auxilary port for your ipod? I have been going back and forth with what setup to go with.

5. Nov 16, 2008 at 6:51 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I got the same unit, and am REALLY happy with it. I bought this as opposed to replaceing the HU, because Im faily happy with the sound of the factoy radio, and wanted to keep the steering wheel controls.

6. Nov 16, 2008 at 6:54 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm happy with the sound I get from the stock stereo. I may swa[ it out someday- but right now...I'd rather spend my mod money somewhere else.
    For 150 bucks this lets me listen to my iPod- I'm pretty sure that I'd be in for a bit more than that if I bought a new head unit. (I like to do things right the first time- so it'd be a GPS, double din replacement- not just some 100 dollar unit from walmart with an iPod cable)

Also- Techinally speaking the "aux" port would plug into your iPod int he headphone jack- That means you can play your iPod over the stereo, but have no control. An iPod adapter (like this one) or an iPod cable on an iPod ready stereo will give you control of the iPod thru the stereo head unit.

That was just my motivation...If you've got the cash for it- Get a new head unit with iPod cable and I'm sure you won't be disaapointed (as long as you do your research before you buy)

7. Nov 16, 2008 at 7:02 AM
    Delrivpilot

Delrivpilot Red Sox Nation

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    PA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Westin Runnin Bars, Toytec 2" spacers, TSB suspension, Cooper Discoverer ST's 265/75/16. Pionner Avic F700Bt, Wet Okole seats,spidertrax spacers
    Good arguement. I haven't priced it yet, but would like to get one of the 09 units that have the sat built in. Was hoping to find someone looking to dump theirs if they were upgrading. THat adaptor sounds pretty good if it displays the track and artist on the stock radio. THanks for the info:D

8. Nov 16, 2008 at 7:57 AM
    cheehab

cheehab I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    The PA15 is the best accessory I have bought for my truck. The main reason I got mine is to keep the interior looking totally stock and throw out my FM modulator. I ran my PA15 to the center console and into the center storage box so my ipod basically stays there all the time. I know a lot of people have theirs run to to the glove compartment, but I like the easy access of the center console. It charges the ipod and plays music at the same time. It took like 30 minutes to install, and if you looked at the interior of my truck, you would never know that it was there.

9. Nov 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I keep mine in the little cubby on the left side of the dash:
    PA15-TOY1_c4c853c0520ef84502e4e72168f577e5f788c998.jpg

PA15-TOY_7f48f6ad33a58c947448b8714a34b66d6c07029c.jpg

10. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:14 PM
    Smurfio18

Smurfio18 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northridge
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD PreRunner
    I keep it Stock but Clean!
    I have one amendment to my previously stated review. I still love the module but if you get one be sure and disconnect your ipod after use or it will drain the battery.

11. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Hmmmm, I have had mine plugged in for the last few months. No dead battery yet. :confused:
    If it kills it, I guess I'll get an Orbital. :D

12. Nov 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    It might actually be true. Keeping it plugged in might reduce the battery life.

I had a Nano that I had plugged into my truck all the time. After a couple years of that - I retired the nano to fitness usage only (laugh). The battery doesn't last all that long. It's gotta be from that....not fully discharging it before charging it.

Now I have an 80 gig that's hooked up to my truck ALL the time. In fact, it lives in the truck..

13. Dec 15, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    grantfire319

grantfire319 Well-Known Member

Member:
    KENTUCKY
    Vehicle:
    05 DOUBLE CAB TRD SPORT 4.OL
    Secondary Air Filter removal. More to come hopefully.
    good info

14. Jan 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    A couple of quick questions on this old topic, if you guys don't mind. Where did you guys mount the module? Are the cords provided long enough to place the module somewhere well hidden and still place the ipod in a convenient location? I know the install looks easy, but what did it take you, like 20 mins? Thanks guys.

15. Jan 29, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    chyknees

chyknees nomadic wanderer

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    TRD, Total Chaos, Fox, Volk, BFHoodrich
    I have my old one placed in the little area behind the dash, right next to the glove box. Cable seemed long enough to run to different places.

The USA-Spec Ipod adapter is good for what it is. Used to love mine, until my friend plugged in her Zune. Don't do that! lol, it'll start to load, then fry the box. Just a fore-warning to everything lol.

16. Feb 5, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Well i got mine in and have it temp installed. I have the cable routed to a nice location where you don't notice, but i temporarily have the module mounted in the glovebox. I haven't found a good location to permanently mount it yet, i will do it tonight though, and i'll post up some pics.

17. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    Runamuk

Runamuk Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OFR V6 6Spd
    Anyone know if these will work with an Iphone? By the way I'm digging chris4x4's location, hidden and you don't have to reach across the truck to dig it out of the glove box. Maybe put a bit of padding in there so it don't rattle...perfect.

18. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Yeah- The USA-Spec website says it'll work with an iPhone- you'll probably have to specify what you are going to use it with so you get the right cable.

And yeah...It only charges the iPod for 1 hour after you turn the car off- so you gotta turn the Pod off manually- I don't think it'll do anything to the battery cause it don't charge all the time- but just gets it completely discharged...So when you charge it again- No biggie.

19. Mar 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    I never turn mine off....Hell, I only take my Ipod out only to load more music in it. Otherwise, Its in my Truck all the time. :)

20. Mar 5, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    IlovethePinkTacos

IlovethePinkTacos Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's all around Self Engineered CAI Supercharger -I wish Ranch Sierra shell, USTOYO-IPOD Front grill mod w/blue neon tube under ...just your minor mods TSB for rear - planned 12/09
    This is the thread i have been looking for. Im convinced after reading this one...im going to have to order the USA-SPEC Model # PA15-TOY

Thanks guys

Products Discussed in

To Top