Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Build Your Own Camper or Trailer! Glen-L RV Plans

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Earthlings are fun to watch!
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Build Your Own Camper or Trailer! Glen-L RV Plans

After searching endlessly for home built camper plans I stumbled on a link to this site. Home built plans from shells to 5th wheels.

http://www.glen-l.com/campers/glenlrv.html
http://www.glen-l.com/campers/rv-pic...rphotos.html#i

Old 12-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
kogary is on a distinguished road
kogary's Tacoma Gallery
dude, I just went through every link on that site!! Building your own camper looks awesome! Definitely a project I could see doing. My only reservation for doing something like that is that I park in the garage and I would't be able to do so (very easily) anymore.

Are you thinking of doing this in your tacoma? I was trying to understand how the blueprints work for our specific wheelbase and bed dimensions. Any insight on that?
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
Goober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoober is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kogary View Post
dude, I just went through every link on that site!! Building your own camper looks awesome! Definitely a project I could see doing. My only reservation for doing something like that is that I park in the garage and I would't be able to do so (very easily) anymore.
Camper Jacks! But you'd need a place to drop it when it's not on the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kogary View Post
Are you thinking of doing this in your tacoma? I was trying to understand how the blueprints work for our specific wheelbase and bed dimensions. Any insight on that?
The Importer version would probably fit, I'd have go measure the bed rail height and cab height to be sure. I was thinking of doing a modified version of the cab over. Haven't decided yet. Apparently the plans are full size to layout the walls right on top of, so I would have to modify that.

Determine whether our campers will fit your truck without modification

Importer-Standard Plans & Patterns package: $48.00
Importer-Long Bed Plans & Patterns package: $54.00
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #5

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
$15 dollar for the plans for this camper

I ordered the plans to build this camper on ebay. Seller estimates his camper weighs about 700lbs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261044439382...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Update on the plans listed here.

The plans I bought on ebay for $15 are lacking in a lot of detail. There is some good info in them but the basic construction details are just not there. Some buyers stated so in their feedback on ebay and the seller defends himself by stating you must have skill and imagination to build his design.

I have since purchased the "Importer" plans from Glen-L and am very satisfied with this product. The plans and "build manual" make this look easy. Very detailed construction and simple steps. Included is a full size blue print of the upper side layout, around 11' long, layout diagrams for cutting plywood panels from 4' x 8' sheets to limit waste, and bill of material includes lumber sizes and fasteners used. Information on installing electrical, lp, and water systems.

Glen-L has a builders forum, mostly about building boats but there's a section for RV's. http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=16

My plan is to build a modified version of the importer. Shorter height wise, 5' tall instead of the 6' the plans call for. This would be tall enough to sit in.
A small cabover section for extra storage space and 83" long cabin so I don't have to sleep corner to corner (which I do now with just the shell arrangement). A fully finished Importer dry weight is 700lbs. So by cutting down the size and not putting in all the interior cabinetry and equipment, I'm hoping to keep it under 500lbs.

I'm going for something that looks like this shell only a foot longer from the inside dimension of the bed.

http://belairshells.com/camping_shells
Old 01-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #7

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Building the Glen-L Importer Camper-modified

I've started building a scaled down version of the Glen-L Importer. I've adjusted the dimensions to fit the Tacoma.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Cool deal. Glen-L has been around forever. I started building a Tubby the tugboat a few years ago and sadly never finished.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
badass!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

Goober's Tacoma Gallery

Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #13

Goober's Tacoma Gallery

Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for later
Old 01-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What will you use to cover the outside of the camper? This is really cool.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #16

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
I plan on using aluminum. I'll insulate it with either styrofoam or fiberglass.
http://www.hemetvalleyrv.net/rollforms.html
Old 01-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
fourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of lightfourbyfour is a glorious beacon of light

fourbyfour's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome build! How are you planning on securing it to the truck?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #18

Thanks for posting this.My father and I had a couple full sized slide-in campers over the years.We went on a lot of fishing trips with these. I may have to build one myself.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #19

Goober's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbyfour View Post
Awesome build! How are you planning on securing it to the truck?
On the front I've installed these brackets, I added extra nuts on the bolts under the frame to keep these from twisting the bolts loose. I'll use turnbuckles with eye bolts on the camper. On the rear I'm going to use the bed bolts through the floor of the camper. I'll need to get some longer bolts to replace the stock bolts.

http://www.amazon.com/CargoBuckle-F1.../dp/B004HHU4TE

Old 01-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #20

any more progress on the camper build?

Products Discussed in this Thread