Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Baja Roof Rack

Old 07-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
do you have a pic of the lights on at night from in the cab?

im curious how much the lights light up the hood
Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
Punkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Ryan
Punkindrublic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
do you have a pic of the lights on at night from in the cab?

im curious how much the lights light up the hood
I don't at the moment. I will take some pics when I get back to the east coast in two weeks.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #23
WARR4NT is on a distinguished road
WARR4NT's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for the answer about the glare on the hood from the lights...also it looks like it would be pretty easy to mount an led light bar on that thing instead of the individual lights.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
Punkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of lightPunkindrublic is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARR4NT View Post
Sub'd for the answer about the glare on the hood from the lights...also it looks like it would be pretty easy to mount an led light bar on that thing instead of the individual lights.
Thats what I plan on doing next. I got the lights from a buddy for $100 total so I am just using those as temporary until I decide what LED Bar to go with. The new Morimoto ones from the retrofit source look sweet. There is defiantly a glare just to warn you though.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkindrublic View Post
When both wind farings were on the rack the wind noise was hardly noticeable, but I took the bottom faring off so I will be able to add lights to the front of the rack. Since I took the bottom faring off the wind noise is louder and is definitely noticeable when going 50+ mph. In regards to MPG I don't know for sure if I am loosing any but if I had to guess I am loosing some MPG because it seems like I have to give it more gas to pick up speed then I used to have to.
Do you have any close up pics with both fairings on? Thanks. To elaborate, I don't understand the difference between the upper and lower faring and was wondering if it could be explained to me with a picture. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #26
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Picture of LED light bar and Group buy info

Quote:
People have done it. It is my understanding that when you order from Bajarack you can request the light tabs for the light bars be added, or something to that effect.

Here is a picture of Tacovendor's Bajarack that shows how he mounted the LED light bar.

There is a group buy going on right now for 15% off in this thread here if anyone is interested:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/gro...-any-rack.html
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
You go to Clemson? I will be as well starting in the next 2 weeks!

Its good to know TW members will be at the same college as I will. Badass looking rack though
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Do you have any close up pics with both fairings on? Thanks. To elaborate, I don't understand the difference between the upper and lower faring and was wondering if it could be explained to me with a picture. Thanks.
I don't have any pictures with both fairings on. The second fairing is on the bottom of the rack, which i took off so that I could mount my lights to the existing holes from the bottom fairing. I was not aware that Baja would add the light tabs until after I got mine. Also here is a link to look at the bottom fairing. The picture of the brown Tacoma is the best pic I could find and the fairing isn't very noticeable:

http://www.bajarack.com/toyota-tacoma-gallery

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
You go to Clemson? I will be as well starting in the next 2 weeks!

Its good to know TW members will be at the same college as I will. Badass looking rack though
Yea man, you'll probably see my truck around campus! Congrats on getting into Clemson! Go Tigers!!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #29
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea man, you'll probably see my truck around campus! Congrats on getting into Clemson! Go Tigers!!
Thanks! you may not recognize mine, its not tricked out just how i want it yet! From the looks of age, you're heading out the door this year right?

Old 08-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post
Thanks! you may not recognize mine, its not tricked out just how i want it yet! From the looks of age, you're heading out the door this year right?

Actually not till next december. Two football seasons left for me!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #31
Tacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacovendor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tacovendor's Tacoma Gallery
One of the best light bars made, the quality and light these lights have is amazing!
http://www.bajadesigns.com/products/...and_LED_lights
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #32

Quote:
I don't at the moment. I will take some pics when I get back to the east coast in two weeks.
Quote:
Here are two pictures comparing hood glare. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I can try to shoot a video.

Roof Lights Off:

Roof Lights On:

Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #33

Here is a picture of the lights on the roof rack from the outside. There is defiantly a glare off the hood from the lights, but it's not that bad.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
nice! when I finish my bed rack think I'll have to pick one up too.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #35
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
the glare you are getting is because of the forward positioning of the lights. if you move them back, or put a shield under them, if cuts dow/eliminates glare.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:51 PM   #36
Passion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shedPassion4Outdoors is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Anthony
Passion4Outdoors's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma Baja Rack Issues

My recent rack installation went okay. I did have some trouble drilling the holes through the plastic/rubber strips after I had pulled them off. There is a metal strip running inside of these and the drill bit kept slipping off to one side or the other even though I preferred the hole to be close to the center, so I used the cone shaped grinding bit on my rotary tool and ground out a hole in each one with relative precision. I had to adjust these a little by enlargening them, but once I threw silicone in there and the mounting brackets went over the strips, it came out very nicely. My first trip to work the next day with the rack was a big surprise. Man was it loud! There was a hum resonating through the whole truck from 40-60 M.P.H. even though everything was tight. It was almost like the sound of blowing across the open top of a beer bottle. Now, imagine someone doing that continuously while you are driving in that speed range. Four days later, I had the troubleshooting narrowed down to the bottom air deflector, I had to pull the rack off to do it, but I flipped the air deflector over, and, voila, the problem was fixed! Even though it doesn't tuck up underneath anymore and extends down an inch or so, it seems to make for a much smoother airflow over the rack. The two deflectors together now form a wedge across the front of the rack, and it is quiet at all speeds. Only a slight whistle can be detected over 60 M.P.H. I donít know if other Tacoma owners (or Baja Rack owners with other vehicles) have experienced this noise, but I swear by the fix I came up with. It is very clean, and eliminates the lip that appeared when the deflector was positioned the other way. It was almost like an upside down bug deflector, and I'm almost positive that forcing the air down towards the roof of the truck over that lip caused it to hum. My only other complaints with the rack are that it came with one of the steel crossbars bent from shipping (which I was able to bend back), and after I had it finally installed with the modification, I found a little dent under one of the main steel tubes on the driver's side. This is not a huge deal, but for $705 shipped, I had hoped it would be close to perfect out of the box. Itís funny how you can inspect something so thoroughly and then find a flaw with it later on that would have seemed so obvious to discover earlier. I have noticed a loss of 1-2 M.P.G. with my rack and other accessories installed. I am hoping the mileage improves as the truck breaks in, but I can tell you it has felt a little more sluggish at interstate speeds and even wants to shift down on small hills while on cruise control where I don't recall it doing that before.

See my full build here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...oma-owner.html
Old 02-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #37
Quantum731 is on a distinguished road

Quantum731's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a BajaRack about a month ago and am quite pleased with it. I had the ok but somewhat weak factory system and decided to pull it to go for the BajaRack that mounted to the roof due to higher capacity. I also added the Hi-Lift and shovel mounts for the sides.

Installation was pretty smooth once I realized I needed new weather strips on top, and also had the problem drilling through the center due to the metal strips. But, we have had a ton of snow and rain and no leaks. Be sure to use RTV to seal up the holes and align the weather striping as best you can.

There is some noise around 50MPG but nothing obnoxious. I haven't seen gas mileage drop and I track every tank.

But it is made very strong, the finish is excellent, and I can hold a ton of crap up there now. I also picked up one of the soft cargo carriers that matches the basket size but usually just carry cargo boxes up there. I am considering adding another on top of the cap for even more storage or a second RTT mount (I have a trailer tent as well).

Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #38
woodssyndicate is on a distinguished road

woodssyndicate's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd