1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dwreck rock slider video review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Appljaxx, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Feb 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    Appljaxx

Appljaxx [OP] This guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Pro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ4DIQf5kk

I've been using the rock sliders made by Dwreck for a a while now, and I've definitely beat the shit out of them. They have performed flawlessly. I've bashed them into dirt and rock. I've used the hi-lift all along the sliders to raise one wheel or both. Plus they really have clean understated look. I off road every week, and I use my truck hard.

Initially I wanted to buy either these or the rocky road sliders. I choose dwreck because they stick out slightly more than the rocky roads, thus making them useful as a step, giving slightly more protection against damage to the lower door while off road, and better protection in the parking lot against people who smash your truck while getting out of their cars. The dwreck sliders are still close to the body and follow the lines of the truck very nicely. When you get out of the truck it is very easy to get out of the truck without sliding your pants on the slider, this is nice when your truck is covered in mud or dirt.

Installation was very easy and I was able to complete by myself in about an hour. You will need a 12" long combo wrench to reach 2 of the bolts that are holding the sliders on. One side went on easy and the other side was slightly off (1/4"), I used a hi-lift to line it up and after the bolt on nothing has moved.

They shipped as bare metal, and I'm glad. I think powder coating would be a mistake if you plan on using them off road. It's expensive and you will certainly scratch the shit out of them if you use them on the rocks. I used rustoleum bed liner from wal-mart. Now I can just hit the scratches with a rattle can. Plus the bed liner offers a little bit of traction to the top of the slider when using as a step.

I ordered my sliders and they were ready in less than a week. Communication with dwreck was friendly and fast.

My only complaints are:

1st: Fastenal: They are very slow, they have no tracking info (it seemed as if no one knew where my stuff was or what was going on), and they totally abuse your shit. My sliders were damaged by fastenal during shipping, 2 deep gouges(on the the top of the slider no less) and hundreds of little scratches. Fastenal made it right by giving me a bunch of 1/2" rated chain for my trouble. I would suggest to the OP that he use a different company or package the sliders differently. They came wrapped in plastic. I understand they would be impossible to box, however if you took a large box, folded it in half, placed it over the outer edge of the sliders, then wrapped it in plastic you would have tons more protection from the carelessness of the shipping company. Dwreck was not going to leave me hangin on this, but I was able to get worked out on my own.

2nd: No implied warranty or guarantee.

3rd: Weld splatter. I had to use a chisel to get off some of the bigger chunks, and sand paper for the rest. Not a big deal.

In closing, I would recommend these sliders to anyone on TW. I'm not an expert on welding or fabrication, but the build quality seems top notch. And they have performed as required when needed with no flaws. If I could do it all over again i would buy these sliders without hesitation.

9.5/10

Check my build for more pics and video.

Here is a link to Dwreck's slider page. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacoma-marketplace/188597-dwreck-rock-sliders.html

This is my first review... so take it easy. I'm just trying to give back to TW a little.

SNOWTACO72 likes this.
  2. Feb 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Tbones taco

Tbones taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Carrollton
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner ext cab
    Flowmaster 40 smittybuilt bull bar smittybuilt nerf bars hella lights crome custome grill
    Very nice. I like the clean lines they give your truck. What did they cost?

3. Feb 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    Appljaxx

Appljaxx [OP] This guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Pro
    I don't recall the exact price, but the prices are listed on the builders page.

4. Feb 20, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    Andy2010

Andy2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Bucks County, Pa
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport Mag Grey 4x4
    EGR inline vent visors, Trimmed front mud flaps, Hose clamp mod, AFE Pro-Dry S air filter, Bed mat off my '97, 5100's up front @1.75, Rear TSB, Tow package, Black TRD center caps, Weathertech Digitals, Wet Okole's in front
    Thanks for the review, I've been thinking about these.

5. Jun 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Thread-errection, but any follow ups? Since you have had a few more months with them, any new thoughts, weaknesses, strengths, etc?

Thanks!

6. Jul 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    ^^^^
    This??

7. Sep 15, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    This answered some questions. Any updates to the review?

Products Discussed in

To Top