1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flex tonneau cover

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Treaddirt, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    Treaddirt

Treaddirt [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    '23 White TRD OR access cab
    I recently purchased the Undercover Flex tonneau cover and here are some photos and my review - installed on a 2012 double cab 5' bed: I purchased it from 4Wheelonline and received the cover in seven days, no issues with 4Wheelonline folks. The package was shipped via UPS and the picture below shows the box. The second photo show what I saw when I opened it. The cover and all parts were there and no damage but it was obvious that the packing material, plastic air wrap, was deflated and there was not enough to support the cover.

Installation was not difficult but there were a few minor issues; a) the instruction sheet stated to use 9/16" wrench but the bolts were 1/2", b) there was no steps in the instruction to explain what to do with the roll of rubber seal/weatherstrip (I had watched installation videos of other brands of tonneau covers so I new where it went) - it sticks on the top of the bed next to the back window, c) one of the latches would not latch (left side, latch one up from tail gate) and after many adjustmenst of the rail I still couldn't get the latch to work. So the simple fix (should have done this at first and saved a lot of time) I unscrewed the latch from the cover/latch mount and placed two small flat washers between the latch and the latch mount. This solved the problem and the latch works like a dream. I ended up doing this to another latch that was a little difficult to latch. d) the ends of the rails where they meet the tail gate needs to be filed down so the tail gate would close/latch. This was no big deal, I made sure the rails were pushed forward all the way but still needed to do some filing to get the gate to shut.

Summary: the cover is built well, operates nicely as advertized, looks good (it was raining and cold and truck is dirty - Seattle weather), I would purchase it again and recommend it. Just be prepared to do some adjusting to the latchs (maybe it was my rail installation that cause the latch problem but I did adjust the rails many times to try and solve this problem). Really the only big issue was my initial shock when I opened the box and saw packing material not supporting/protecting the cover. I thought for sure there would be some damage. But NO damage, I guess that speaks to the strong construction of the fiberglass panels. I'll be sending a letter to Undercover to tell them about this, hate to see such a great product get bad reviews just because it was not packages correctly.

Agian, yes I recommend this cover and would purchase it again.

P1000747.jpg
    P1000748.jpg
    P1000749.jpg
    P1000750.jpg
    P1000752.jpg

2. Feb 26, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    captain.cardinal1

captain.cardinal1 instagram @e11lfd

Member:
    First Name:
    chad
    louisville, ky
    Vehicle:
    2016 trdorsb inferno FTMFW
    Pelfreybilt front aluminum bumper, full Pelfreybilt skid set, Pelfreybilt sliders, hondo garage phone vent mount, icon stage 3 lift, scs rays 10, 285-70-17 ridge grappler, c4 fab mid height bed rack (currently getting powder)
    how much did you pay, i really want this cover, but seems to be 800 installed around here, maybe 50 of that installation.

3. Feb 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Treaddirt

Member:
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    Paid about $700 even, free shipping. Took about 2 hours to install because I messed around with the latches and filed the ends of the rails.

4. Aug 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM
    wagz502

wagz502 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wagz
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Workin on it.....
    Where'd you buy the cover from?

5. Aug 4, 2012 at 8:19 PM
    wagz502

wagz502 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wagz
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Workin on it.....
    Disregard, my dumb@ss went back and read the original post.

6. Aug 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    Treaddirt

Member:
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    Wagz502...I've been slow to get to my email, we finally got summer here in Seattle so I've been enjoying the warm weather on the lake. Just so you know the cover is working great and holding up well. It's not water tight but I don't need that. Take care...

7. Jan 3, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Rochard

Rochard New Member

Member:
  8. Apr 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    TacOffRoad11

TacOffRoad11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Georgetown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '18 F150 XLT
    A couple of quick questions. I can not get the third panel to latch completely. Im talking about the one that tilts up with the red handle latch. Also, I am really not sure how far back the cover needs to set from the cab? Any help?

9. May 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    runner05

runner05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Looks great! I like that folding tonno also. How's the quality of the panels?

10. Nov 18, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    Gores

Gores Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hamilton, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    Make sure you check those back clamps. had my dirt bike in the back and the cover was folded all the way up with the support bars. Cover slid forward and started to lift off the truck. The plates started to bend and break off the cover.

Not sure if this is Installers fault (bought it from a dealer) or a warranty issue. Cover is only 8 months old. Keep you guys posted on the results.

11. Nov 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM
    Treaddirt

Member:
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Vehicle:
    Gores: thanks for the heads-up. I'll check my clamp soon. My cover has treated me well with no problems and have often driven it with the cover folded all the way back with the rods. It appears the installers did not tighten the clamps down after they did some final adjustments.

12. Nov 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    Gores

Gores Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hamilton, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    Called the Manufacture, They were shocked this happened and called the dealer I bought it from and I will do the switch there. But the dealer wants me to pay to cover their shipping costs and pay to reinstall. Im likely just going to put the new one on myself. And not planning on paying for shipping.

Seems like overall Manufacture was on point and was happy to replace it. But Dealer doesn't want to pay for mistakes.

Cheers! Its a great cover!

13. Nov 25, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    Gores

Gores Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hamilton, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    got my new one, installed myself.

Took me 40 min. toughest part was to get it all straight and even on the bed.

Super Easy!

14. Dec 3, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    Hungry

Hungry Toy Truck Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Barney
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    Extang Freedom Trifold Tonneau Cover
    I have the same Undercover Flex unit...6' bed. Really happy with how it all comes together, but I had the same latching issue, just had to wiggle and straighten out the cover on the alignment as I closed each of the panels. Delicate act, but it works.

Not a single bit of trouble with the bed rails, they were tight but I ensured (like the OP) that the rails were all the way forward. Tailgate could close without any issues.

Solid unit and I would buy another one. Actually I might have to buy another one since my 26 year old son wants this 2007 Access Cab 2.7L 4x4.

I purchased it for just over $700 from an accessories dealer in Erie, PA.

It took me about 30 easy minutes to do this install in their parking lot. They were kind enough to recycle the cardboard box for me.

Almost a year later, it's still solid, rugged, quiet, and great for tossing in my hockey gear (I'm a goaltender), yard waste, rifles, tools, hunting and target gear.

Now, if anybody knows of a tonneau cover that uses the existing bed rails, I might have to shop for another cover if my son takes this Taco 4x4. :D

Cheers and regards,
    Barney

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  15. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    KingofBattle

KingofBattle SHOT OUT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Texas Edition
    3M 5% Window Tint, All-Weather Floor mats.
    ^I am thinking of buying that exact model as it's a cover but also had the option of opening so I have the entire bed space to use. $700 is a little expensive right now, I'll have to shop around for deals but I assume that's how much these type of covers go for.

16. Jan 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM
    gman2530

gman2530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner

Someone on 1st Gen forum pointed this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonno-TriFo...2001|Model:Tacoma&hash=item417b2795c3&vxp=mtr

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jan 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    TacOffRoad11

TacOffRoad11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Georgetown, KY
    Vehicle:
    '18 F150 XLT
    I'm thinking about selling my flex if you're interested. Shoot me a message if you are.

18. Jan 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    Hungry

Hungry Toy Truck Fan

Member:
    First Name:
    Barney
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    Extang Freedom Trifold Tonneau Cover
    Just a follow up to my previous post from 03 Dec 2013. My son did take my 2007 Access Cab 2.7L 5 speed manual that had the 6' bed and the Flex Undercover.

My 2010 DCSB V6 4.0L 6 spd manual SR5 now has a 5' long Extang Trifold Freedom that I found locally for $125. After a couple of coats/applications of Armorall Protectorant, that vinyl sure looks new.

With the Dbl Cab, I can lock my boomsticks / hockey gear / toys in the back seat area, so no locking ability is needed in the bed area.

Cheers and peace be the journey!

Barney

Products Discussed in

To Top