Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

So now I know - Tacoma 4 cylinder review

Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #21
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucytacoma View Post
how much for the DT header, and Jardine catbacks? and where did u order from?
Header from URD in the group buy, and the catback used (they don't make it anymore)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Shakeyfly is on a distinguished road
Shakeyfly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Its for sure sluggish, but I honestly like it. I have drove my 2011 for a year now and I now drive the speed limit. No more speeding tickets and driving stupid for me. I just ordered the DT header and a Jardine catback so it should have a bit more jump but I dont care really. Just worried about the towing ability with a little boat
Not to jack a thread but I'm curious about a small boat tow as well.

I have a 2011 4x4 4 cly access cab with a 5 speed. I'm looking at a small aluminum boat (Trailer, Boat, engine = around 900 - 1000 lbs total)

I know I'm not going to win any sort of landspeed records, but how will the little truck handle it? okay? will it be screaming and kicking the entire time?
just curious.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
adrstout is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
adrstout's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Indiana so altitude is not a concern. My 4 banger does fine in normal driving though I definitely wouldn't try passing up a hill. Every once in a while I miss the power my old Dodge V8 ha but then I remember fuel and maintenance costs lol.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #24
asollman1673 is on a distinguished road

Name: Abe
asollman1673's Tacoma Gallery
I bumper pull mine at probably 600-700 pounds. No problem. Like you said no landspeed records but, it surprised me. I shift at 3k or less and barely know its there.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, its slow. But downshifting always solves the problem even up to Tahoe.

The 22R was just amazing. Everything was just too simple to fix and maintain.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Faryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shedFaryota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mic
Faryota's Tacoma Gallery
The 4 is not for everyone for sure, but I drive all over the country and mine works well for me!!!!!! It has taken me into some country that was pretty rough...I sure didn't need to be going fast and for me the 4 did just great!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #27
Arkansas Paul is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
Arkansas Paul's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 4-cylinder Tacoma, but here in Arkansas these hills aren't that bad. I can see where it would be a pain in the mountains of Colorado. I'm with adrstout. I went from a Dodge Dakota with a 318 to my Taco so when I miss the power, I just remember getting 13 mpg.

Even though mine does what I need it to do and I'm happy with the truck, I'll likely go with the V-6 next time around.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
subwayaz is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Aircraft, Maint
subwayaz's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 95" Tacoma Extracab with the 2.4l 4 cyl (5 spd Man)and took it all over the west & southwest without any problems with lack of power.
Several trips to ABQ, NM from AZ and Diego and Vegas without any problem.
Humm quite interesting
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
I liked my 91 pickup four banger--I LOVE the 2003 6 cyl. No question.
Hurts a little at the pump--not much.
Got the cash--get the 6!
Drove the 4cyl for 14 years--truck was tough as nails--I prefer the 6.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #31
Arkansas Paul is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
Arkansas Paul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had a 95" Tacoma Extracab with the 2.4l 4 cyl (5 spd Man)and took it all over the west & southwest without any problems with lack of power.

I had a '99 4x4 with a 4 banger. It was a 5 spd too and it was better. There's a lot to be said for dropping it down whenever you need to for sure.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
Jungleboy is on a distinguished road
Jungleboy's Tacoma Gallery
Adding horse power and keeping the mileage down

Would adding a small turbo add to the horse power at sea level without adding to gas consuption? Anyone know of other ways to increase the horsepower on the 4 cylinder. I test drove one this weekend for my wife and it was pretty weak!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
tacomawv
tacomawv is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
tacomawv's Tacoma Gallery
I think mine has enough power for my needs. As for towing a boat i was able to hold 60MPH @ 3000RPM coming up sandstone mountain (I-64 in southern WV) with my boat. It is close to 2000 pounds. Not sure of the grade but it is steep and long. I think they gear cars and trucks to high to get better gas mileage.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #34
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I haul these 285s around pretty easy with stock gears so I don't think people should be worried about keeping it stock and power
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #35
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy View Post
Would adding a small turbo add to the horse power at sea level without adding to gas consuption? Anyone know of other ways to increase the horsepower on the 4 cylinder. I test drove one this weekend for my wife and it was pretty weak!
more HP? more gas. kind of no way around it. now you may drive a little better and compensate to the point where the extra burning fuel will be nominal, but it's hard to ask for more power and not expect to burn more gas
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #36
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who have a 4 cylinder and lack the horsepower, have you considered replacing the knock sensor? The knock sensor's crystals can deteriorate and lose their response accuracy as time goes by. This causes a potential for an incorrect signal, that in turn causes the engine to reduce timing advance. This can SERIOUSLY rob and engine of horsepower with even a low 10DEG of advance loss. My 2.7 had developed real bad power loss, with no codes, but scan tool data showed that the timing was only advanced by 15DEG at heavy load. Replaced the knock sensor and timing returned to 30DEG and power was back.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #37
MajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud ofMajKong has much to be proud of

Marines: Sergeant of Marines, 4th Force Recon
Name: Johnny
MajKong's Tacoma Gallery
You don't know Jack!

The 4 cylinder Tacoma has plenty of power. I drive in the mountains all the time and up steep grades and the Taco doesn't lack for power. If you don't want to shift, buy an automatic.

Does my truck have more power at sea level? Yes.

Does it not have enough power over mountain passes? No. Sometimes you have to downshift. The real problem is with the gearing. If I drive faster, it has more power due to higher RPM and being further into the power band. I typically only drive around 55 to 60 mph, so I have to shift a little more.

This talk of the 4 cylinder being underpowered is NONSENSE!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #38
Shakeyfly is on a distinguished road
Shakeyfly's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 4x4 access cab 4 cylinder... It tows my 15 foot hobie power skiff just fine. about 1200 pounds in total with a class III hitch.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #39
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
So now I know - Tacoma 4 cylinder review-fb_img_13425468579263175.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajKong View Post
The 4 cylinder Tacoma has plenty of power. I drive in the mountains all the time and up steep grades and the Taco doesn't lack for power. If you don't want to shift, buy an automatic.

Does my truck have more power at sea level? Yes.

Does it not have enough power over mountain passes? No. Sometimes you have to downshift. The real problem is with the gearing. If I drive faster, it has more power due to higher RPM and being further into the power band. I typically only drive around 55 to 60 mph, so I have to shift a little more.

This talk of the 4 cylinder being underpowered is NONSENSE!
I like your truck. my 4 banger does great, I tow uphill all the time and hardly even notice a difference. My trailer with my bike on it is probably around 1100 pounds.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #40
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
I love my 4cl. I never underestimate my trucks engine. I rarely even look at the odometer. I keep it on my trip miles for my next oil change. That's all that really matters since the engine should last forver with the way I baby it. Yeah its not the fastest engine out there, but neither was the 22r! Toyota put the 2tr in these trucks for reason and still do. If they felt they made a wrong decision they wouldn't keep using them. They kept everything a truck would be used for in mind when they threw the 2tr in the engine compartment for the first time. Towing, hauling, driving uphill, if you don't like slow but steady, get the v6. If you want the better mpg, and a longer lasting- more reliable engine get over the fact that the 4 banger is not built for speed.