LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

anyone use vent shades that stick on the outside? you like them?

Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
anyone use vent shades that stick on the outside? you like them?

i ordered some AVS in channel but dont like the look, so i got the stick on type (note: have not installed them yet). Anyone on here use the stick on type that can give me some feedbacks and pics maybe?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I actually prefer the in channel look myself. Personally I hate the stick on ones. I only had them on one vehicle, and the tape eventually started to come. Not sure if they typically always end up coming loose, but it was enough to not want them anymore. Since I prefer the look, and I don't have to worry about them fall off the in channel were a no brainer for me.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #4

i got in channel once and the window would catch the plastic and eventually bend it. what is the best brand to go with? do the weathertech ones go all the way down the front window?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a few of the stick on ones and they all end up coming off. I'm going with the weathertech in channels this time.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
I have EGR in channels. The passenger one is still tight, but the driver side rattles when the window is down. When I contacted EGR about this, they told me to stick it with foam tape .. which kind of defeats the purpose of in channel. At any rate, they told me they'd send me the tape .. never did. When I emailed support for followup, they never responded. Quite disappointed by that. In truth they should have replaced the part (I was well within the warranty period). They never even offered.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
I had a set of the outside stick on ones years ago on my Dakota..I made sure to clean the area to stick the vents to really well ( rubbing alcohol ) and put them on...the only thing that took the one that came off away from the truck was me falling asleep and going swamping...the cat-tails caught it...other than that they stayed solid.Test fit BEFORE you lay them on to see where you like them/how they fit/where they fit.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 PM   #8

how long do the stick on ones usually last? 3 to 4 years?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
2011 TRD Sport 4x4
Junebug55210 will become famous soon enoughJunebug55210 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kyle
Junebug55210's Tacoma Gallery
For me only about 1 to 2 years. I'll never buy them again.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #10

thx gunslinger!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
dusman is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
dusman's Tacoma Gallery
AVS stick on for my 4runner and taco , been on 4run for 6+ years no issues, like the look of in channel bit too many probs with them flying off, window not rolling up all the way etc. I guess I'll take functionality over looks any day
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #12

thanks dusman! i did buy the avs brand
Old 04-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
For me the in channel ones are both better looking and better functionally. Mine are in snug after 3 years no rattling. I even had to pull them out once and still good after reinstalling.

Cant speak for other brands or vehicles but at least with Weathertech and the Tacoma it seems as if its literally impossible for them to just fall off.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of lighttacoftw is a glorious beacon of light

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
I have the avs stick on..I'll try and get a pic later I'm on my phone right now
Old 04-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #15
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I will not ever use the ones that stick on the outside. I have purchased a vehicle in the past that had them and when they started coming off they left places on the paint where the adhesive had been that would not buff out. I have AVS in channel on my current Tacoma and had them on my previous one and had no issues at all. I know looks are a personal thing, but to me the in channels look much better.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Avs stick ons and have had no problems whatsoever out of them..I don't think they look bad either
Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has the AVS stick-ons. They work fine. I had a corner come loose on one of them so I removed the old tape from the corner, cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol and added new 3m tape. That was about 2 years ago and it's been holding since. Mine is an '07 and they were installed when the truck was brand new according to the former owner.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #18

cool
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
I've have stick on's. When the corners came loose, I applied a narrow bead of black RTV silicone, pressed and taped it down for an hour. No mess and technically removable.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed AVS stick on many times. Both my father and brother in laws' trucks. Both have been on 7 years with no issues. Make sure to clean with alcohol like 4 times to get any wax or silicone off. Then test fit before taking backing tape off. Finally use some masking tape to hold them in the perfect fit. Start taking the backing tape off slowly and keep pressing as you go. They'll stick for a good long time.

Products Discussed in this Thread