Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

line x pros and cons??

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
line x pros and cons??

just wondering whos line Xed there after market bumpers. and if they like it or not. i should be getting my relentless bumper by the end of may and im thinking of having it line Xed. any reviews would be great. thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
I have my sliders line x'd...they haven't been done very long but so far it was well worth it! If I ever go with a plate bumper I am going to get it line x'd as well. Make sure to get the UV protected line x.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Pros: It's sprayed to last a long time..
Cons: It's more expensive than putting on your own bedliner

Lol If I HAD to make a con...really its 99% Pro
Old 04-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on wheeling a lot, shit is going to get scratched up. Line-X is awesome, but it is hard to clean and when a rock takes a chunk off then what? IMO, you are better off using some rubberized undercoat and some rattle cans. It will cost a LOT less and will make touch ups much easier.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
If you plan on wheeling a lot, shit is going to get scratched up. Line-X is awesome, but it is hard to clean and when a rock takes a chunk off then what? IMO, you are better off using some rubberized undercoat and some rattle cans. It will cost a LOT less and will make touch ups much easier.
For use on a bumper, I say Line-X would definitely hold up to any abuse. If your taking chunks out, you have bigger issues and your bumper is mangled. This stuff is TOUGH, especially if the shop that does it preps the surface like they are supposed too.

As for sliders, You are right, spray paint, undercoating etc. will for sure cost a lot less. I have no intentions of "bouldering" and turning my truck into a hardcore rock crawler....so I went with Line-X. I don't see any issues with the Line X holding up to moderate/heavy trail use, and hi-lift jack usage.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your input so far im leaning towards line x. but we'll see once i finally get the bumper. and thanks for the tip about the uv protected line x.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #8
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
For use on a bumper, I say Line-X would definitely hold up to any abuse. If your taking chunks out, you have bigger issues and your bumper is mangled. This stuff is TOUGH, especially if the shop that does it preps the surface like they are supposed too.

As for sliders, You are right, spray paint, undercoating etc. will for sure cost a lot less. I have no intentions of "bouldering" and turning my truck into a hardcore rock crawler....so I went with Line-X. I don't see any issues with the Line X holding up to moderate/heavy trail use, and hi-lift jack usage.

True. I dunno in my mind I just can't justify paying to have something Line-X'd when I know it is going to get beat up. With rattle cans, I can do touch ups much easier and I am still way under what I would have to pay to get it Line-X'd. Then again my money is pretty tight so if I can cut corners somewhere I will lol.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
The only con to line-x is the price. Otherwise, the stuff is ridiculously tough. My old truck's bed was line-x'd. I also had a LIFETIME warranty. Any time I needed or wanted it redone, just needed to bring it on in. Never needed to though...and it was on the truck for a solid 6 years before I sold it.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:36 PM   #11
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
The only con to line-x is the price. Otherwise, the stuff is ridiculously tough. My old truck's bed was line-x'd. I also had a LIFETIME warranty. Any time I needed or wanted it redone, just needed to bring it on in. Never needed to though...and it was on the truck for a solid 6 years before I sold it.
nice!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
I had my sliders Line-X'd, last spring, just have to finally get around to putting them on. I'm looking forward to it because they look *fantastic*. The shop blasted then primed them with a line-x primer, then coated them. Kept the material away from the mounting brackets in case I did decide to weld vs. bolt.

Not to hijack the thread, but these sliders (Trail Gear?) give me the option to drill and bolt or weld on. Comments? My new MIG lays down some pretty darn nice beads, so I'm really tempted to go that route...

Cheers,
Marc
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ules View Post
I had my sliders Line-X'd, last spring, just have to finally get around to putting them on. I'm looking forward to it because they look *fantastic*. The shop blasted then primed them with a line-x primer, then coated them. Kept the material away from the mounting brackets in case I did decide to weld vs. bolt.

Not to hijack the thread, but these sliders (Trail Gear?) give me the option to drill and bolt or weld on. Comments? My new MIG lays down some pretty darn nice beads, so I'm really tempted to go that route...

Cheers,
Marc
Do both for extra strength and security?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Is the MIG STRONG enough?