1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

engine, battery and oil heaters?

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Vandaman, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    Vandaman

Vandaman [OP] Vandaman

Member:
    First Name:
    Van
    North carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner double cab
    Dvd players n both headrest, bbs wheels, back up camera rearview mirror combo, Ideal retractable tonneau cover and Borla cat back exhaust
    Question guys, im getting stationed in alaska and will be headed up there in December. I def wanna get a engine and battery heater but not sure if ill need a oil heater. I have found a battery heater fairly cheap at advanced auto parts and they have engine heaters that are pretty cheap as well. Has anyone used these? If so what did you think? If you have used other ones what would be your advice.

2. May 15, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    Hey, I just moved back from Alaska (stationed at Wainwright for 3 years). I would first ask whether you are going to be at Elmendorf, or Eielson (temperature difference is quite extreme).

I installed a block heater, oil pan heater, and battery pad heater (got the parts from NAPA up in AK). It took me an hour or two in my garage, the hardest part is the engine block heater (have to knock out a freeze plug and drain the antifreeze)

I took a punch and hammered the one side of the freeze plug, and then took a pair of vice grips to pull it out of the block, putting the engine block heater back in was no issue, and just made sure it was a tight fit and no leak. I also swapped my antifreeze mix to a 50/50 as opposed to the regular 60/40 mix.

when you are aplpying the oil pan heater, make sure you clean the oil pan really well, and the just use a high temp RTV and completely cover the heater pad (no air bubbles mean better transfer of heat to the oil pan). I used duct tape to secure the heating pad to the oil pan while the RTV set.

The battery pad heater is the easiest thing to do, just place it under your battery.

An additional note is that you want to take a minute to determine how you want to route all of the cords for the heaters before you install them. I made sure that my cords kept away from the exhaust and headers, so that there was no risk of melting, and got a 3 plug adapter (so that all the plugs could plug into that, and then one plug is routed out the front of my truck). Also, they sell arctic extension cords in Alaska (rated to stay flexible to -20F which is important).

If you are going to eielson, I would also recommend that you cover your radiator during the winter as well (keeps the engine warmer).

I also went to a 0W-30 engine oil, and swapped my gear oil and never had an issue with anything freezing up.

hope that helps

3. May 15, 2012 at 10:09 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Yeah were you guys get radiator covers for 2gen trucks. I want one but can not find it.

4. May 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    roughnready62

roughnready62 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    02 SR5
    K&N Intake SoftTopper
    I just put a piece of cardboard in front of my radiator, it worked just as well, and didn't cost a thing. If you want to buy the grille cover, I think you can get it from NAPA, or O'Reilly up there....not sure though.

Products Discussed in

To Top