engine, battery and oil heaters?

Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Vandaman
Vandaman is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SSgt vehicle maintainer
Name: Van
Vandaman's Tacoma Gallery
engine, battery and oil heaters?

Question guys, im getting stationed in alaska and will be headed up there in December. I def wanna get a engine and battery heater but not sure if ill need a oil heater. I have found a battery heater fairly cheap at advanced auto parts and they have engine heaters that are pretty cheap as well. Has anyone used these? If so what did you think? If you have used other ones what would be your advice.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
roughnready62 is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police Platoon leader, Arctic MP
roughnready62's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, I just moved back from Alaska (stationed at Wainwright for 3 years). I would first ask whether you are going to be at Elmendorf, or Eielson (temperature difference is quite extreme).

I installed a block heater, oil pan heater, and battery pad heater (got the parts from NAPA up in AK). It took me an hour or two in my garage, the hardest part is the engine block heater (have to knock out a freeze plug and drain the antifreeze)

I took a punch and hammered the one side of the freeze plug, and then took a pair of vice grips to pull it out of the block, putting the engine block heater back in was no issue, and just made sure it was a tight fit and no leak. I also swapped my antifreeze mix to a 50/50 as opposed to the regular 60/40 mix.

when you are aplpying the oil pan heater, make sure you clean the oil pan really well, and the just use a high temp RTV and completely cover the heater pad (no air bubbles mean better transfer of heat to the oil pan). I used duct tape to secure the heating pad to the oil pan while the RTV set.

The battery pad heater is the easiest thing to do, just place it under your battery.

An additional note is that you want to take a minute to determine how you want to route all of the cords for the heaters before you install them. I made sure that my cords kept away from the exhaust and headers, so that there was no risk of melting, and got a 3 plug adapter (so that all the plugs could plug into that, and then one plug is routed out the front of my truck). Also, they sell arctic extension cords in Alaska (rated to stay flexible to -20F which is important).

If you are going to eielson, I would also recommend that you cover your radiator during the winter as well (keeps the engine warmer).

I also went to a 0W-30 engine oil, and swapped my gear oil and never had an issue with anything freezing up.

hope that helps
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #3
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughnready62 View Post
Hey, I just moved back from Alaska (stationed at Wainwright for 3 years). I would first ask whether you are going to be at Elmendorf, or Eielson (temperature difference is quite extreme).

I installed a block heater, oil pan heater, and battery pad heater (got the parts from NAPA up in AK). It took me an hour or two in my garage, the hardest part is the engine block heater (have to knock out a freeze plug and drain the antifreeze)

I took a punch and hammered the one side of the freeze plug, and then took a pair of vice grips to pull it out of the block, putting the engine block heater back in was no issue, and just made sure it was a tight fit and no leak. I also swapped my antifreeze mix to a 50/50 as opposed to the regular 60/40 mix.

when you are aplpying the oil pan heater, make sure you clean the oil pan really well, and the just use a high temp RTV and completely cover the heater pad (no air bubbles mean better transfer of heat to the oil pan). I used duct tape to secure the heating pad to the oil pan while the RTV set.

The battery pad heater is the easiest thing to do, just place it under your battery.

An additional note is that you want to take a minute to determine how you want to route all of the cords for the heaters before you install them. I made sure that my cords kept away from the exhaust and headers, so that there was no risk of melting, and got a 3 plug adapter (so that all the plugs could plug into that, and then one plug is routed out the front of my truck). Also, they sell arctic extension cords in Alaska (rated to stay flexible to -20F which is important).

If you are going to eielson, I would also recommend that you cover your radiator during the winter as well (keeps the engine warmer).

I also went to a 0W-30 engine oil, and swapped my gear oil and never had an issue with anything freezing up.

hope that helps
Yeah were you guys get radiator covers for 2gen trucks. I want one but can not find it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
roughnready62 is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police Platoon leader, Arctic MP
roughnready62's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a piece of cardboard in front of my radiator, it worked just as well, and didn't cost a thing. If you want to buy the grille cover, I think you can get it from NAPA, or O'Reilly up there....not sure though.