CBI 2nd Gen Moab 2.0 38 15.08%
Demello Front Bumper 3 Hoop 45 17.86%
Relentless Fab 106 42.06%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #101
Wynner is on a distinguished road
Wynner's Tacoma Gallery
Front Bumpers

Taken from an attorney's site. I realize that this specifically talks about 18 wheelers but it can easily be modified for a truck with an aftermarket steel bumper.

"Does the truck that you drive have a steel bumper? This seemingly innocent stylistic statement can actually be a serious safety threat. A former mechanical engineer in Texas recently determined that steel bumpers on 18-wheeler trucks are significantly more dangerous than the energy absorbing bumpers that are sometimes installed on these vehicles. Steel bumpers can actually make a truck accident much worse than it would have been had the bumper been removed.

This is because the heavy steel bumpers can almost assist an 18-wheeler in doing damage to another vehicle, rather than cushioning the blow. The auto industry has started moving towards the tendency to use plastic bumpers, composite bumpers, or other energy-absorbing bumper materials so that these car accessories don't cause so much damage in the event of a collision. These other materials are able to absorb some of the impact of an accident, rather than magnify it. Many of these other materials will fold under pressure, whereas steel often won't give in an accident."

http://m.arnolditkin.com/Personal-In...eel-Bumpe.aspx
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #102
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
Name: Chris
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
My ARB was one of the first things I did to my Taco as a noob in everything automotive. Two years later I am selling my ARB and UPGRADING to CBIs Moab bumper. The ARB is too heavy, bulky looking, and clearance limiting for my taste. CBI has excellent clearance, looks great, and isn't too heavy.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #103
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Anyone have any insight on the All Pro APEX bumper? I just saw that they are having a GB.....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #104
fenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nicefenderpicks is just really nice
fenderpicks's Tacoma Gallery
The APEX bumper looks good, but where they mount it on the frame, have too many eye sore bolts / screws that is visible lol.
Thats IMO.....

Btw guys, i can EASILY get a ARB for about the same price as most vendors on here are selling their version of the plate bumper.... So why so many purchases from fab shops instead of a big company? Oh and not to mention not having to wait MONTHS?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #105
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
I don't like the looks of the ARB, and couldn't get it for less the Brute Force.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #107
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
I agree. That's my only gripe with arb is the look. One of the least appealing bumpers to me
That and the fact that if you go around 35s, then you have to trim the bumper... for the ARB. The bumper that you have I feel like would never have an issue as you go up in tire size.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #109
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
If you crash or get rear ended with a heavy duty steel bumper on get ready to be in some pain and possibly sued if the other guys lawyer is worth his weight and your bumper is for off-road use only.

Steel bumpers pretty much eliminate the crumple zone and transfer the shock strait through. My main fear is being rear ended with mine. The seats in these trucks aren't rated for much more than a 30mph impact with the stock bumper so if you get hit very hard at a stop light with a aftermarket one expect a broken back or worse.
That would be my fear as well with these bumpers. Wouldn't the shock transferred be more prone to damage the frame without a crumple zone? Also, I travel with my kids in my truck and I would not want to increase the chances of their getting hurt.

Can any bumper manufacturers speak to this issue?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #110
Pavement Princess
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Yup, ARB's are Fugly!
Old 10-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #111
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
Im liking these http://www.eliteoffroadproducts.com/...96-2004/front/
Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #112
Spindleshanks is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
Spindleshanks's Tacoma Gallery
Armorology, built on my rig back in 2005, in Colorado Springs. I get compliments on the welds and the construction all the time. I took it off a couple months ago and had it powdercoated, the thing was straight as an arrow, after all the winching and bouncing off rocks. http://armorology.com/products.htm
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaozer View Post
That would be my fear as well with these bumpers. Wouldn't the shock transferred be more prone to damage the frame without a crumple zone? Also, I travel with my kids in my truck and I would not want to increase the chances of their getting hurt.

Can any bumper manufacturers speak to this issue?
Years ago I took a class with Bill Burke (bb4wa.com) and he swears by the ARB bumpers, because he alleges they were designed to allow the airbag sensors to function correctly, i.e. to crumple properly so as to trigger the airbag at the correct stage of impact. Here it is:
http://store.arbusa.com/Bull-Bars-Bu...rriers-C8.aspx
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #114
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Just an fyi air bag sensors are activated by inertia. Has absolutely nothing to do with actually hitting them. If anything a steel bumper would transfer the force quicker activating the air bag quicker.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #115
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Just an fyi air bag sensors are activated by inertia. Has absolutely nothing to do with actually hitting them. If anything a steel bumper would transfer the force quicker activating the air bag quicker.
Still, your point about the bumpers causing more injuries to passengers is significant. I'm surprised no bumper manufacturers have stepped in to promote their product or at least speak to the issue.

I also wonder if aluminum bumpers would be any better in terms of lessening shock transfer.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #116
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaozer View Post
Still, your point about the bumpers causing more injuries to passengers is significant. I'm surprised no bumper manufacturers have stepped in to promote their product or at least speak to the issue.

I also wonder if aluminum bumpers would be any better in terms of lessening shock transfer.
99% of plate/tube/hybrid bumpers are built for off-road use only and specifically labeled as so. That's one of the reasons that arbs are so popular because of their streetability. At the same time, it's one of the reasons why they aren't all that common on pure off-road rigs were solid armor is a must. If you have ever seen an arb in person, it's not made of thick metal and has many weak points but it was designed that way on purpose. Where as a lot of these other bumpers are made of 5/8", 1/4", and 3/16" steel only with no "weak" points and designed that way on purpose.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #117

Good point, allmotorrex. If you rap your knuckles on an ARB, it sings like a windchime. Mine's so solid, it doesn't make a sound. Pity me if I wreck and the other guy, too:/
Old 11-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #118
ParaPUP09
tacoma09medic is on a distinguished road
EMS: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Tom
tacoma09medic's Tacoma Gallery
No all-pro love !?!
Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #120
www.sos-offroadconcepts.com
EddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEddyRRT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 19 D PFC, 165th brg 3-34 bat 5-17
Name: Eddy
EddyRRT's Tacoma Gallery
I wanna see videos of ppl winching from them!lol Besides Arb it's proven perfection