Front Bumpers

View Poll Results: Which front bumper?
ARB Deluxe Bar 62 24.80%
CBI 2nd Gen Moab 2.0 37 14.80%
Demello Front Bumper 3 Hoop 45 18.00%
Relentless Fab 106 42.40%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
Front Bumpers

I am looking at getting a front bumper for my 09, and wanted to know what people like. I am looking for a bumper that I can put a winch on, and lights on too. Mounting to the stock factory points is a must, because I don't want to have to trim anything. Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...gens-only.html
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on your needs. ARB are probably the most stout you can get but would require a beefier front suspension, especially if you want to carry a winch also. Otherwise, check out the vendor section and pick out the style you like best. Relentless offers an aluminum version that only weighs about 60 lbs so if it's just for clearence and minor trail bumps, that might be a good option and would allow you to keep your suspension stock.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
I've looked at that link before... I guess what I am wondering more of is the reviews that people give for them.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Depends on your needs. ARB are probably the most stout you can get but would require a beefier front suspension, especially if you want to carry a winch also. Otherwise, check out the vendor section and pick out the style you like best. Relentless offers an aluminum version that only weighs about 60 lbs so if it's just for clearence and minor trail bumps, that might be a good option and would allow you to keep your suspension stock.
Yeah I've seen quite a few ARB around. I am going to upgrade my front with Icon 2.5 resi and coil overs so I am not too worried about weight.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
Yeah I've seen quite a few ARB around. I am going to upgrade my front with Icon 2.5 resi and coil overs so I am not too worried about weight.
If you go with something like an ARB and a winch, some of the suspension manufacturers offer a heavier coil so you don't have to preload as much. I know King makes a 700# coil, not sure what Icon or Fox offer but something to keep in mind when you're dropping that kind of money into your suspension.

Also, haven't heard much bad about any of the plate bumpers other than wait time. All-Pros aren't built to take hits like ARB or the ones built by the vendors on here. The aluminum version built by Relentless also won't take impact as well as steel but it's a trade off for the weight reduction.

Lastly, ARB limits the tire size you can clear. Something about how the bumpers are built so unless you want to cut up the brand new ARB, you could have a rubbing issue if you go too large with the tires. I can't remember what size people were having an issue with, I'd have to search to find a thread on it.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #7

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I know Icon does. And like you said, I have read about the strength of the bumpers and I know ARB is one of the stronger ones.
Have you seen any of these before?

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-B...130-P3661.aspx
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I know Icon does. And like you said, I have read about the strength of the bumpers and I know ARB is one of the stronger ones.
Have you seen any of these before?

http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-B...130-P3661.aspx
That's the only ARB I've seen. I've seen a couple with the optional fog lights but, on a 2nd Gen Tacoma, that ARB bumper is the only version I've ever seen. They are very stout, probably have the best connection back to the frame and essentially make the front end a battering ram.

What are you looking to add a steel bumper for? Do you just need an improved approach angle, added protection, recovery points, winch mount, etc? The CBI, Relentless and Demello are all great choices and plenty strong. The ARB is more built up but lacks front recovery points.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #9

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Well I want to throw on a winch, for when I do stupid stuff and get stuck. And driving lights would be nice, since I do a lot of night driving and some trails at night.
I don't do as much off roading as other guys on here, but when I do go out I like to have the right gear. Recovery points, winch mount, and light mounts are a must.
I find that so weird that ARB doesn't have any recovery points on it....
Old 05-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
I am very happy with my Relentless! But be prepared to wait for it though.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I want to throw on a winch, for when I do stupid stuff and get stuck. And driving lights would be nice, since I do a lot of night driving and some trails at night.
I don't do as much off roading as other guys on here, but when I do go out I like to have the right gear. Recovery points, winch mount, and light mounts are a must.
I find that so weird that ARB doesn't have any recovery points on it....
If recovery points are a must, I'd toss ARB out unless you want to weld them on yourself (although with a winch you might not need additional points unless you get really stuck and do a 2 line recovery). Personally, I love the look of the Relentless bumpers but I hear the wait times are pretty long.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have mine yet (Relentless skids and sliders come first).
But Eric will be getting a call from me to order some Relentless aluminum bumpers some day.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #13

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have to do any trimming for the relentless? Yeah I guess you're right about not needing the D rings if you have a winch.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #14

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have any review on the body armor tacoma front bumper?
Old 05-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have to do any trimming for the relentless? Yeah I guess you're right about not needing the D rings if you have a winch.

Yes. The steel in front of the rad needs to be removed. Very simple to DIY it. You also need to tuck your wheel well plastics up. If you look at Eric's thread he has install instructions or he used to.

ARB while being a great bumper has literally hundreds of nuts/bolts/washers you need to install. They are a total PITA to install due to this.

You can't get your buddy to yank you out from your winch cable so front recovery points are still needed unless you want to fire up the winch every time you get stuck....and that sucks due to the amount of time it takes. Also lack of front recovery points means you can't use them if your in need of a snatch block pull (winch from truck to snatch block and back to truck).

IMO I would not even listen to everyone's opinions. Look for the best design. Everyone will tell you what they bought is the best. In the end it comes down to design, price, and lead time.

As far as I know only (3) fabricators make front plate bumpers with straps that tie the bumper to the frame sufficiently enough to make hard pulls.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #17

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Yes. The steel in front of the rad needs to be removed. Very simple to DIY it. You also need to tuck your wheel well plastics up. If you look at Eric's thread he has install instructions or he used to.

ARB while being a great bumper has literally hundreds of nuts/bolts/washers you need to install. They are a total PITA to install due to this.

You can't get your buddy to yank you out from your winch cable so front recovery points are still needed unless you want to fire up the winch every time you get stuck....and that sucks due to the amount of time it takes. Also lack of front recovery points means you can't use them if your in need of a snatch block pull (winch from truck to snatch block and back to truck).

IMO I would not even listen to everyone's opinions. Look for the best design. Everyone will tell you what they bought is the best. In the end it comes down to design, price, and lead time.

As far as I know only (3) fabricators make front plate bumpers with straps that tie the bumper to the frame sufficiently enough to make hard pulls.
Which are the three? I just want to find one that you don't have to trim, can have a winch, put lights on, and have recovery points.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
RyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really nice

Name: Ryan
RyanK1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
IMO the best way for quick satisfaction is CBI... I do not own their front bumper (I've got a rear hybrid) but they are FAST to build and the craftsmanship is superb.
I totally agree, waited only 3 weeks for this beauty and the crew at CBI was awesome to deal with.
No trimming, winch mount, lights, and 3/4" recovery points.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #19

Air Force:
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanK1 View Post
I totally agree, waited only 3 weeks for this beauty and the crew at CBI was awesome to deal with.
No trimming, winch mount, lights, and 3/4" recovery points.

With which options did you get it?
Old 05-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
RyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really niceRyanK1 is just really nice

Name: Ryan
RyanK1's Tacoma Gallery
I got the base bumper, with stinger and headlight hoops. The shackles and lights were purchased elsewhere. It was shipped bare steel and I painted it myself. Very affordable bumper in my eyes.