1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Bumpers

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Justin, May 7, 2012.

?

Which front bumper?

1. ARB Deluxe Bar

26.1%
  2. CBI 2nd Gen Moab 2.0

15.7%
  3. Demello Front Bumper 3 Hoop

18.3%
  4. Relentless Fab

39.9%
  1. May 7, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    Justin

Justin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
    I am looking at getting a front bumper for my 09, and wanted to know what people like. I am looking for a bumper that I can put a winch on, and lights on too. Mounting to the stock factory points is a must, because I don't want to have to trim anything. Any suggestions?

2. May 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. May 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Depends on your needs. ARB are probably the most stout you can get but would require a beefier front suspension, especially if you want to carry a winch also. Otherwise, check out the vendor section and pick out the style you like best. Relentless offers an aluminum version that only weighs about 60 lbs so if it's just for clearence and minor trail bumps, that might be a good option and would allow you to keep your suspension stock.

4. May 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    285/75/17 on SCS 6's. ADS front & rear w/ adjusters. Relentless front bumper & roof rack. BAMF sliders
  5. May 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    Yeah I've seen quite a few ARB around. I am going to upgrade my front with Icon 2.5 resi and coil overs so I am not too worried about weight.

6. May 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If you go with something like an ARB and a winch, some of the suspension manufacturers offer a heavier coil so you don't have to preload as much. I know King makes a 700# coil, not sure what Icon or Fox offer but something to keep in mind when you're dropping that kind of money into your suspension.

Also, haven't heard much bad about any of the plate bumpers other than wait time. All-Pros aren't built to take hits like ARB or the ones built by the vendors on here. The aluminum version built by Relentless also won't take impact as well as steel but it's a trade off for the weight reduction.

Lastly, ARB limits the tire size you can clear. Something about how the bumpers are built so unless you want to cut up the brand new ARB, you could have a rubbing issue if you go too large with the tires. I can't remember what size people were having an issue with, I'd have to search to find a thread on it.

7. May 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
  8. May 7, 2012 at 8:29 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's the only ARB I've seen. I've seen a couple with the optional fog lights but, on a 2nd Gen Tacoma, that ARB bumper is the only version I've ever seen. They are very stout, probably have the best connection back to the frame and essentially make the front end a battering ram.

What are you looking to add a steel bumper for? Do you just need an improved approach angle, added protection, recovery points, winch mount, etc? The CBI, Relentless and Demello are all great choices and plenty strong. The ARB is more built up but lacks front recovery points.

9. May 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    Well I want to throw on a winch, for when I do stupid stuff and get stuck. And driving lights would be nice, since I do a lot of night driving and some trails at night.
    I don't do as much off roading as other guys on here, but when I do go out I like to have the right gear. Recovery points, winch mount, and light mounts are a must.
    I find that so weird that ARB doesn't have any recovery points on it....

10. May 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    SupraT

SupraT Tacoma Lover

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Columbia Falls
    Vehicle:
    98 TRD SR5 4x4
    3" Lift Three leaf add and Bilstin 5100"s in back and Donahoe coilovers in front, Tinted Windows, Blackened parking light, tinted brake lights, clear bumper lights, Blacked out turn signals, AVS vent visors, Electric Fan mod, K&N CAI
    I am very happy with my Relentless! But be prepared to wait for it though.

11. May 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If recovery points are a must, I'd toss ARB out unless you want to weld them on yourself (although with a winch you might not need additional points unless you get really stuck and do a 2 line recovery). Personally, I love the look of the Relentless bumpers but I hear the wait times are pretty long.

12. May 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    I don't have mine yet (Relentless skids and sliders come first).
    But Eric will be getting a call from me to order some Relentless aluminum bumpers some day.

13. May 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    Do you have to do any trimming for the relentless? Yeah I guess you're right about not needing the D rings if you have a winch.

14. May 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    anyone have any review on the body armor tacoma front bumper?

15. May 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    IMO the best way for quick satisfaction is CBI... I do not own their front bumper (I've got a rear hybrid) but they are FAST to build and the craftsmanship is superb.
    Best of luck with your selection. :thumbsup:

16. May 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

Yes. The steel in front of the rad needs to be removed. Very simple to DIY it. You also need to tuck your wheel well plastics up. If you look at Eric's thread he has install instructions or he used to.

ARB while being a great bumper has literally hundreds of nuts/bolts/washers you need to install. They are a total PITA to install due to this.

You can't get your buddy to yank you out from your winch cable so front recovery points are still needed unless you want to fire up the winch every time you get stuck....and that sucks due to the amount of time it takes. Also lack of front recovery points means you can't use them if your in need of a snatch block pull (winch from truck to snatch block and back to truck).

IMO I would not even listen to everyone's opinions. Look for the best design. Everyone will tell you what they bought is the best. In the end it comes down to design, price, and lead time.

As far as I know only (3) fabricators make front plate bumpers with straps that tie the bumper to the frame sufficiently enough to make hard pulls.

17. May 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    Which are the three? I just want to find one that you don't have to trim, can have a winch, put lights on, and have recovery points.

18. May 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    I totally agree, waited only 3 weeks for this beauty and the crew at CBI was awesome to deal with.
    No trimming, winch mount, lights, and 3/4" recovery points.

[​IMG]

19. May 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    Justin

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD-OR
    With which options did you get it?

20. May 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    I got the base bumper, with stinger and headlight hoops. The shackles and lights were purchased elsewhere. It was shipped bare steel and I painted it myself. Very affordable bumper in my eyes.

Products Discussed in

To Top