Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Pop n lock...powered vs. manual which is best

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
Pop n lock...powered vs. manual which is best

Which is better the powered PL8521 or the manual PL5300? Some may say personal preference, but I'm looking for the pros and cons of each. So far this is what I have come up with.

PL8521:
Loud when locked and unlocked
Rattles when you close the tailgate
Can set it for single tap unlock or double tap un lock
No need for additional key to carry

PL5300:
No problem if truck loses power
Manual lock does not require tapping into electrical system
Manual lock is cheap and fails after short time

Any other observations?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
JTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTyfz450 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeryck
JTyfz450's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elytravis View Post
Which is better the powered PL8521 or the manual PL5300? Some may say personal preference, but I'm looking for the pros and cons of each. So far this is what I have come up with.

PL8521:

PL5300:

Any other observations?
The powered lock is the way to go. The rattling can be fixed by putting foam/sponge (regular dish washing sponge) to prevent it when closing the tailgate. May be loud when opening and closing, but who cares lol. Not only can you unlock it with the key fob, but you can also unlock it from the interior lock and unlock controls by tapping button twice. You also don't have relocate the camera, which you have to do with the manual version.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

PL8521:

PL5300:

Any other observations?
Sounds like you have the bases covered... however, I have had my 5300 for just over a year, and no issues. From what I was able to gather from the many posts on TW, the early 5300 had an issue with premature failure, but that this was rectified by Pop&Lock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTyfz450 View Post
You also don't have relocate the camera, which you have to do with the manual version.
This is really not the big deal many seem to think it is. You are only just moving it to the other side of the handle, and when done it seems to provide a better angle, just slightly.

Frank
Old 05-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
elytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shedelytravis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: I do what Goose did but not with Maverick...now I'm learning Mavericks skills too!!
Name: Travis
elytravis's Tacoma Gallery
How is the black finish on the pop n lock handles verses the stock tailgate handles?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How is the black finish on the pop n lock handles verses the stock tailgate handles?
Same bakelite type plastic as the stock one. Not much different. The 5300 is just the Plain-Jane version, they have a couple of colour-keyed part numbers. And the key is only a small double sided security style key, you'll never notice it on your keyring. It's a lot smaller than all the extra crap people seem to think they need/want to drag with them.

Frank