Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

kenwood dnx5120

Old 12-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up kenwood dnx5120

So last night be and my buddy took 2 hours out of the night and i installed my new kenwood dnx5120. The install went without a hitch and i LOVE this head unit.

Starting with the price, the unit retails for anywhere from 1000-1200$. I found it on amazon.com for 620 shipped yes i said 620$!!! For that price the system is amazing.

Something i want to add, do not go to a shop to get this installed unless your worried about the warraty. I looked at best buy and they wanted 200.00 to put this in. After putting it in i realized how absolutly rediculous it is to charge 200$. Anyone can do this if your take your time, almost all the wires match up to the wireing harness, except for example my backup sensor wire didnt cause i didnt get the camera so i just taped the end that was it. A few tools, 2-3 hours and some help from a buddy YOU can do this trust me!

The garmen navigation is spot on, took seconds to find a satellite and so far works great. When switching from the ipod back to it for example there is no lag it goes straight back to the map. granted i havent had time to really use it but so far its awesome.

The ipod interface is great also. it obviously takes some time to figure out how to use everything but its just about as easy as just using your ipod.

The thing i as most excited about was how good it made me stock speakers sound. I was planning on replacing them but now im not so sure, they sound great after messing with the settings.

Some little things, the touch screen is great, all the color options it has are pretty cool, my buddy who helped me says his 2000$ avic isnt even as good in some aspects.

I didnt get to bluetooth option so i cant comment on that. and i have not used to dvd player either. I know this isnt really a complete review this is just a first impression thing, i havent had time to really use the unit yet. So far i would def. recommend this head unit. Ill get pics later and if anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask. If i have any problems with it i will post them here and i will also come back and post as i further explore the system.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
good write up!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
lpiagent1 will become famous soon enough

lpiagent1's Tacoma Gallery
Great review, I just put this in my truck, and I dont think you can top it for the price. Ive been using this for a week, and It just works so smooth, and fast switching between sources.
One question, Iam able to upload pictures for the background, but not sure how to display them as a screen saver. Bottom line sweet set-up. pics!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

i saw that option somwhere about changing your background i know its in there, im sure its only a matter of time before you stumble across it!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #6
kingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the roughkingN8 is a jewel in the rough
kingN8's Tacoma Gallery
any reason you went with the 5120 instead of the 8120?? cuz ive seen alotta people with te 8120
Old 12-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

for me it was money, i couldnt pass up paying 620$ for mine that pretty much has all the same features as the 8120. i dont regret it one bit.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
lpiagent1 will become famous soon enough

lpiagent1's Tacoma Gallery
Money for me too. I like the volume knob, just seems right.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
I have this set-up too and love this unit! I do have some questions for you guys with this unit as well....

Is there a way to have the screen completly off and still listen to music(such as a sleep mode)?
Where could i get a hold of the navi unit you need for it to work and am also lookin for the steering wheel controls. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
LazyNavyTaco will become famous soon enough
Navy: ET2, USS Nassau, i work the radars and gyros
Name: Jared
LazyNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ha I just bought the same unit for my 06 taco... I got it for 600 on crutchfield.com also got the Bluetooth adapter and the iPod cable..... I'm replacing the door speakers with jl audio components and amp..... Just got all my parts in today and I have duty tomorrow so Sunday and Monday I plan on installing this bad boy..... Anyone know where the speed sensor wire is located?
Old 02-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyNavyTaco View Post
. Anyone know where the speed sensor wire is located?
dont need it for the 5120.

I didnt hook it up if it is there, mine works great!
Old 02-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #12
LazyNavyTaco will become famous soon enough
Navy: ET2, USS Nassau, i work the radars and gyros
Name: Jared
LazyNavyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I guess thats what i get for not opening the box and looking haha.... i just read the instalation manual that came with it that crutchfield gives you for free.... i really like the dnx5120 because it doesnt have extra (brains) that need to be mounted elsewhere... everything is internal which is a huge plus... i have heard you can just ground out the parking brake wire and it will bypass the dvd player not working while driving... anyone know about that one? and does anyone know where i can get my hands on the xm adapter for it i can not find it to save my life online its out of stock everywhere.... i know that serius bought xm out but the adapter should still work in the future im pretty sure.... i should have pics up by monday of this installed in my 06 taco...
Old 02-16-2009, 05:33 AM   #13
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyNavyTaco View Post
i have heard you can just ground out the parking brake wire and it will bypass the dvd player not working while driving... anyone know about that one?
yes, do that so you can have dvd for passengers and be able to access full navi functions.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #14
TSubatis is on a distinguished road

TSubatis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TSubatis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
yes, do that so you can have dvd for passengers and be able to access full navi functions.
-I grounded the parking sensor wire down to the frame located within the dash, works great. I can watch DVDs and use the nav while driving no problem. (Totally safe)

Regarding the background/wallpaper image: I believe you need to use a flashdrive/hard drive to load background images plugged into the usb port. Kind of a pain in the ass imo if you have it all set up with the Ipod cable.

Great unit for the money, I highly recommend it also. I love how you can change the LED's in the unit to match the tacos amber interior, or whatever color your interior lighting happens to be.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
anyone with a link for the navi on this unit? Am tryin to add it on there...
Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
East Bound and Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtz85350 View Post
anyone with a link for the navi on this unit? Am tryin to add it on there...
What do you mean add it on there? elaborate please.......
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
well to my uderstanding i need to buy it seperate? I have the navi button just doesnt display anything. So am thinking it needs to be bought seperate?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:47 AM   #18
East Bound and Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtz85350 View Post
well to my uderstanding i need to buy it seperate? I have the navi button just doesnt display anything. So am thinking it needs to be bought seperate?
So you have a dnx521 right not the 5120?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #20
thanks man! But wow 599???? Am better of buying a portable one...
Is this the only one compatable?