Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

VIAIR 450PA 12volt Portable Air Compressor

Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Canazes9's Tacoma Gallery
VIAIR 450PA 12volt Portable Air Compressor

After burning up a 1/2 dozen or so cheap portable air compressors over the years I decided to upgrade. I wanted something that would inflate the tires quickly for both my truck and my son's truck (and anyone that happened to be with us) without taking forever and without having to worry about it burning up and dieing at an inopportune time.

I checked a lot of different models and specifications. I am certain I would have been well served by a lot of different compressors, but in the end, the 100% duty cycle of the VIAIR 450PA won me over! Yes, I know this is major overkill for my application - I like that. Hoping I won't ever have to buy another....

http://viaircorp.com/450P-A.html

I didnt' do a lot of comparison shopping for this model on the internet - I found Suspension Connection's website easy to use and informative, so I bought it there. $284.95 total price delivered to my home. Compressor arrived 5 days after I placed my order.

I just took it out and performed a test run on my truck in the driveway.

Pump as delivered, it comes with hose, fill nozzle w/ gauge and valve, power clamps & carrying bag:

I deflated my Mickey Thompson ATZ 265/75R16 from 31 to 15 psi. I don't usually run pressure this low, 20psi seems to work fine for me, but still I wanted to give the compressor a run. For comparisons sake, total deflation time from 31 to 15 psi was 1 minute 50 seconds.

Next I started the truck (so as not to put undue draw on the battery) and attached the power clamps. Clamps fit easily, securely:

I did a quick check to see how far the hose would stretch. Between the power cable's length and the air hose you have ample reach, even to reach airbag fittings at the rear of the truck. Note in the picture that I did not even turn the compressor so that it was pointing the hose connection to the rear or try to stretch the power cord, which is connected to the battery on the off side:

I turned on the pump and and it pressurized the line to it's automatic shut-off point (~100psi I think) in about 3 seconds. I was surprised by how quiet and smooth the pump was. Connected the fitting to the tire and activated the valve. 93 seconds later my tire was reading 31 psi again. The gauge supplied is large and easy to read - it also matched exactly the pressure readings from my digital air gauge.

The compressor is a little large, don't think it will fit behind the seat in my double cab without mashing the hose. It could be made to fit by stowing the hose separately. Not a big deal for me - I've got to keep a bunch of work stuff back there normally, will add the compressor along w/ my hi-lift and assorted other recovery gear when I go wheeling.

David
Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Canazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanazes9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Follow-up

Yes it will fit behind the Driver's seat in a double cab if put the hose in the main compartment on top of the compressor instead of in the front hose compartment:

David
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Got the same set up. Love it.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
x2
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

does anyone know if they sell an adapter to use with 110v?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Fivespeed is on a distinguished road
Navy: EN2
Fivespeed's Tacoma Gallery
Old thread bump..

Anyone figure out a way to keep the lever pressed on the inflation gun without having to hold it?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Nope. Couldn't find it either and gave up. Might just get me something like this eventually:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longacre-Aut...9d19c2&vxp=mtr

In essence I would think you can just use an air pressure regulator with the pump. Viair even makes one I'm looking at:
Viair 90150 0-200 PSI Air Pressure Regulator
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^^^ Correction. I think a regulator is not the ideal solution because it would essentially slow down as you reached pressure. Let me retract that statement about the regulator.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
Appreciate the reply. I was thinking of getting a big beefy rubber band and seeing if somehow I can just wrap that around the lever or something.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
nice
Old 09-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivespeed View Post
Appreciate the reply. I was thinking of getting a big beefy rubber band and seeing if somehow I can just wrap that around the lever or something.

OK - maybe that was a bit overkill on my part Got me thinking though!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #12
TJ'sTOYCOMA

Quote:
Old thread bump..

Anyone figure out a way to keep the lever pressed on the inflation gun without having to hold it?

Thanks!
What about this. Still need a pressure gauge, but these fill pretty fast
Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguins_cc View Post
OK - maybe that was a bit overkill on my part Got me thinking though!
Haha.. Good thinking though!! I like the gun the Viair comes with

Quote:
What about this. Still need a pressure gauge, but these fill pretty fast
I looked into one of those but I want the pressure gauge. Lol
Old 11-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Haha.. Good thinking though!! I like the gun the Viair comes with

I looked into one of those but I want the pressure gauge. Lol
The gun the Viair 450P comes with has a pressure gauge. Its ready to go out of the box. That's what is shown in this picture:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/03366530.jpg

David
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canazes9 View Post
The gun the Viair 450P comes with has a pressure gauge. Its ready to go out of the box. That's what is shown in this picture:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...2/03366530.jpg

David
Yeah I know I own the 450p as well. I was mainly curious if anyone found a quick and easy way of keeping the lever pressed without having to hold it.

Brian
Old 11-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Yeah I know I own the 450p as well. I was mainly curious if anyone found a quick and easy way of keeping the lever pressed without having to hold it.

Brian

David
Old 11-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #17
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
x2
x3. Hasn't let me down.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #18