Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

TJM T15 Bumper (2nd gen)

Old 06-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
MDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: MD State Fire Marshal
MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
TJM T15 Bumper (2nd gen)

I finally got to install my T15 this weekend along with the 9k winch. Overall, I'm very happy with it. I'll start with some pre-mount pictures.

This is on the inside of the passenger side wing. The bars that protect the headlights are welded on top of the bumper and continue through the top, where they are welded to the inside of the bumper.

Main hoop weld

High lift point, inside

High life point, outside

Winch, from the inside

Fog light, inside

Fog light, outside

in my opinion, not having closely examined any other aftermarket bumper, the quality seems pretty nice. The welds are generally good, and the powder coating seems pretty tough. The winch mounted very easily with plenty of room and the holes in the bumper are in the right places to reach the clutch and spot to plug the corded controller into. I was disappointed with the way the fog lights mount though. They are pretty difficult to get into place and it is generally a poor mounting design. I broke 1 mounting tab on the passenger side light and two on the driver side. Loctite superglue did the trick however, and I just didn't tighten them down so much the second time.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
TJM??
Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
TJM??
TJM Bumper

Bumper looks great! Price-wise, how did it compare to buying an ARB?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
TJM = ARB lol, sell like almost the same shit
Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
I know that, but I believe the OP found the TJM bumper quite a bit cheaper than an ARB. TJM also not smart enough to put a recovery point on their bumpers...
Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
MDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of lightMDFM31 is a glorious beacon of light

MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
Now for the install...

Taking the OEM cover and bumper off was not a big deal, but the TJM directions are lacking here. In fact, they are lacking everywhere. Parts are referred to by their part number and there is really only one or two useful pictures. Once you get started though, things fall into place and you don't really need them anyway.

The bumper sits on a large main bracket that replaced the aluminum OEM bumper. You don't have to support the full weight of it while bolting it up, but you need a second person to line the bolt holes up.

Pictured here is another support bracket that bolts into unused holes in the frame. It is mounted very securely.

This was really disappointing, however. This is a bolt hole behind the three main holes on the front of the frame rails.

Inside the yellow circle is the area you are looking at. The bumper has angled brackets that sit inside these curves and bolt up to them. As you can see 2 pictures above, my passenger side bolt holes did not line up, not even close. This bracket is not sitting on the curved part of the frame either, though the driver's side was. I know my truck had a front end fender bender before I got it, but it seems to me that the only way this issue could've come up is if the space from the OEM bumper mounting surface to this bolt hole was incorrect. That would be a hard feat to accomplish. For that matter, in my case it would've been stretched, not compressed. I loosened everything up and tried to get the bumper to come over but it wouldn't, so I don't have a bolt in that spot on the passenger side. There are 6 other bolts holding it in place on the passenger side though, so I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

Aligning the bumper with the fenders was pretty easy. It probably took ten minutes to get it "good enough for government work." After that I trimmed the wheel house liners with kitchen shears, which was also very easy.

They give you a power disconnect switch for the winch also. To mount it under the hood, I had to switch the hot leads (they install a very short hot lead on the winch, which isn't long enough to get behind the grille, and a very long one to run from the switch to the battery.) The ground cable was plenty long to get to the battery post.

I was also disappointed with the fog light wiring. They include a full harness if you don't have OEM fog lights, but it was my understanding that there would be factory connectors for OEM lights so there wouldn't be any splicing. We ended up having to cut the ends off of the harness and splice them into the factory wires. Not a big deal, really.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I know that, but I believe the OP found the TJM bumper quite a bit cheaper than an ARB. TJM also not smart enough to put a recovery point on their bumpers...
I believe they have a legit reason as to why they don't put recovery points on their bumpers. Boils down to liability I believe. Probably the same for TJM.

http://www.arb.com.au/getting-starte...ery_points.php
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
I believe they have a legit reason as to why they don't put recovery points on their bumpers. Boils down to liability I believe. Probably the same for TJM.

http://www.arb.com.au/getting-starte...ery_points.php
Liability and it sounds like they're trying to completely engineer a recovery point that will cost even more money. Regardless the reasoning, it seems like of silly to have an off road bumper that you can't recover from or do a 2 line pull from.

That article or letter you linked to was a good read though.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #10

MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery

At the end of the day, I'm very pleased with it. The winch is easy to get to, the powder coating is nice, the welds are pretty clean, and it's mounted very securely. The fog lights are also awesome. They have a super wide beam and are so bright I was driving without headlights on the other night. I can't comment on how it compares to other bumpers, but my approach angle has definitely improved. Also, you can't re-install the big aluminum skid plate, but the smaller black one goes back on fine. With the bumper and winch, I added 220 pounds to the front end. I feel this bumper is more then sufficient to handle any medium sized bipedal or quadrupedal mammals, and provide a lot of added protection in a head on collision. It is also air bag certified.

And the fog lights come standard. The synthetic line, huge hook, wireless remote and disconnect switch are also standard with the winch.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
TJM Bumper

Bumper looks great! Price-wise, how did it compare to buying an ARB?
They are about the same price as ARB. TJM also has a bumper that looks just like the ARB if that is more your flavor.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys, were a full on TJM dealer. I can attest to the quality of their products. Their winches are some of the nicest I have seen or used and like mentioned come standard with Synthetic line and a wireless remote along with being 100% sealed and extremely durable. Their other products like tow straps, hi lifts and recovery kits are also on par with the larger brands if not nicer. We love their stuff. The Tacoma bumper is a relatively new addition but the TJM bumpers we have installed in the past are also very high quality! If you guys are looking for any of their stuff let me know
Old 07-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
Hey Guys, were a full on TJM dealer. I can attest to the quality of their products. Their winches are some of the nicest I have seen or used and like mentioned come standard with Synthetic line and a wireless remote along with being 100% sealed and extremely durable. Their other products like tow straps, hi lifts and recovery kits are also on par with the larger brands if not nicer. We love their stuff. The Tacoma bumper is a relatively new addition but the TJM bumpers we have installed in the past are also very high quality! If you guys are looking for any of their stuff let me know
PM sent
Old 07-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #15

MDFM31's Tacoma Gallery

Here is a much better picture of the finished product. I sent TJM an email about a month ago regarding the bolt hole that would not line up, haven't heard back yet.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
TJMUSA is on a distinguished road

Name: TJM
TJMUSA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFM31 View Post

Here is a much better picture of the finished product. I sent TJM an email about a month ago regarding the bolt hole that would not line up, haven't heard back yet.
The truck looks great MDFM31! We are excited to see the bumper and the winch on the road.

TJM USA
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #17

TJMUSA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Liability and it sounds like they're trying to completely engineer a recovery point that will cost even more money. Regardless the reasoning, it seems like of silly to have an off road bumper that you can't recover from or do a 2 line pull from.

That article or letter you linked to was a good read though.
To be honest we have egg on our face on this one guys. A recovery point and a jack point is standard issue with our bumpers but it got missed on the first run of Tacoma bumpers. It will be included moving forward.

TJM USA
Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #18

TJMUSA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
I wouldn't call your Tacoma the same as a Honda Ridgeline. The manufactures both call them trucks, yet we know the Honda is not much of a truck. Nor is ARB the same as TJM.

TJM USA
Old 08-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #19

TJMUSA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
Thank you for your continued support SDHQ!

TJM USA
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMUSA View Post
Thank you for your continued support SDHQ!

TJM USA
Thanks for making awesome products!