1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review: Access Vanish tonneau

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Chad, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM
    Chad

Chad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    I finally got around to installing this cover a few weeks ago and I am very impressed with it so far. I got it from the guys over at truckalterations and couldn't be more happier with the whole crew over there. Great prices also, considerably cheaper than everywhere else I looked.

Now, on to the review. I haven't gotten to test how weathertight it is because I have not had it out in any rain since I put it on, but when I see how that works I will update my review. I also purchased the trailseal to further keep water from entering the bed.

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the picture below, there are two supporting beams that go across that help to keep it up, however with the tension I have it set at now, you cannot tell they are there when the cover is closed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Agricover states that it sets only a half inch above the siderails, and they are right. I love the low profile look on this thing!

[​IMG]

The only thing that I somewhat don't like (and it doesn't bother me as much anymore) is that in the back, the cover sets about a half inch or so above the top of the tailgate. This would allow someone to stick their fingers or something else in and possibly pull the latch. I tried for a while and couldn't get it to budge so I trust the thing now. Also, I was able to unlock the slide latches through that hole, however unless you did your research, most people wouldn't realize they were there. There is a weather flap there that does a good job of keeping water out since it lays up against the inside of the tailgate. Besides, water would just trickle down and out the bottom of the tailgate anyways so I'm not concerned.

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the locking mechanism, one of the slide locks, that weather flap, and some of the trailseal on the side.

[​IMG]

The side rails looked like they would dump water runoff right into the back of the bed when they first put on. I decided to route the trailseal over to the inside of the new bed rail and channel the water towards the back of the bed. This worked flawlessly a few days ago when I shot water from the hose that way and nothing was wet inside.

[​IMG]

Originally I had the front water flap directed inside the bed, which dumped a lot of water into the front of the bed when I washed it. I pulled it out and over top of the trailseal that I put on the front of the bed and it looks like that would work 100x times better than the other way. As I said I'll report back when it gets tested in real rain conditions.

[​IMG]

In conclusion, for less than $300 at truck alterations, this is a must have mod for your truck. You can open the cover up in less than 15 seconds and have full access to your bed. Couple this with the trailseal, and a pop n lock tailgate lock (I got the powered one, which I would recommend) and you can store whatever you want into the bed, and have the security that someone has to really spend some time digging to get into your stuff!

2. Jul 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM
    specjay

specjay Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2012-SR5-BLACK
    3" Pro-comp lift kit SPC Ucas 16" FJ cruiser TRD wheels gillcraft grille mod with the TOYOTA emblem Lorado access tonneau cover pop n lock tailgate
    Great review !!! It is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

But did you find a solution for the the cover that sets about a half inch above the top of the tailgate ? Would you suggest me to buy the lorado one because of this ?

3. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    No I have not found a solution for that. Honestly, I don't see it as being a big deal because it would be extremely difficult for someone to open it through there.
    In regards to the Lorado, since I don't have that one and have never seen it in person, I don't know how well it compares to the Vanish so I can't really help you there. Obviously it's a little more expensive and I think has a better locking mechanism, but I don't know how big that gap is on the lorado if there even is one.

4. Jul 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    specjay

specjay Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2012-SR5-BLACK
    3" Pro-comp lift kit SPC Ucas 16" FJ cruiser TRD wheels gillcraft grille mod with the TOYOTA emblem Lorado access tonneau cover pop n lock tailgate
    Thank you Chad for your answer, I have make my choice with the help of another members, I will go with the lorado.

5. Aug 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I just installed this Vanish Cover myself. this is my second cover by Access ive had on a pickup truck. My previous Ranger had Access low profile cover which was considerably more expensive than the vanish, $350 vs $450.

I do like the Vanish but there are some things i dont like about it compared to the more expensive version.
    1) the tie up straps are cheesy elastic straps with cheap S-hooks... vs. proper latching clips that are attached to adjustable straps..
    2) this is hard to explain, but the way the cover is attached to the rear bar isnt like my old one. its not glued all the way around, so when you roll it, it tends to bunch up (you can see this to the right side of chads 8th photo). The one on my ranger was formed and glued on two sides of the bar (top and rear edge), so when you rolled it nothing became loose.
    3) slight gap in the front. and slight gap over the tailgate.
    4)i hope the foam sealing material holds up over time between the tonneau rails and the bed, i have a feeling in 5 years it will start to pick apart after washings. prob something thats pretty easy to fix.

Pros:
    love the low profile
    price point
    velcro down the sides is awesome, only way to go....
    easy to install and adjust
    one handed unlock lever is nice, no feeling around. optional double lock on pax side is also a nice feature.
    i like their technique of installation, was smart and well thought out, using the existing mounting locations in the bed. the cover ends up perfectly level. no fussing with clamps like most other applications, and you keep your factory bed channels.

- OP: i do believe the seal on the front is supposed to be tucked in, but i see what your going for by having the seal exposed out.

i got mine from Zigs on ebay. shipping was free and it literally arrived the very next day. install time was prob around 1 hour MAX...

regarding the rear gap... its hard on the tacomas because they arent using an adjustable clamp system, so the tolerances are smaller. when you start closing that gap, it doenst take much for the tonneau to go from sealed to the tail gate to just under the tailgate lip, then when you go to close the tailgate shut, BANG, and it slams against the rear tonneau bar and back into your hands, i was constantly fighting with this on my old truck until i moved the clamps up, which then tilted the entire cover towards the cab. so i sold the truck ;)

installation note. i felt that the cover pretension was set way too tight when i installed my cover. i had to back it off almost 20 turns to get a proper closing tension.

chad your truck looks great. love the black.
    i will post photos here when mine is fit for public consumption (almost)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Aug 7, 2012 at 7:45 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I love my truck too :D

Having had the cover on for 2 months, I have not had any water leaking into the bed. For a while I had a small stream coming in a corner near the cab but I found the small hole and fixed it.

As to the front seal being laid outside instead of in, I do think it was supposed to be inside the cover like the rear one. However a rather large amount of water was getting inside the bed that way, so putting the seals outside keeps the water out.

Everyday this cover is on I continue to love making this purchase and my favorite part is how it is almost the same height as the bed itself.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Tonneau Mod #1 :rolleyes:

it poured today, you're not kidding Chad, this cover let a TON of water into the bed through the front gap...

The cover sits back behind the bed rim just a little bit, and directly above the utility rail on the front of the bed. the gap between the utility rail and the tonneau is at least a half inch to 3/4 tall. the little flap that they built into the tonneau is def not enough to manage this gap.

Aside from water dumping into the bed, i noticed on the highway, air was coming down behind the cab then into that gap pushing up on the front portion of the tonneau cover while the back was being pushed down by the air stream. a very slight bubble effect.

I bought foam pipe insulation thinking i could squish it between the cover and the bed, but i also picked up a 10' roll of back 7/16th thick, 1.5 inch wide weather seal tape. this seems to be just thick enough to push on the tonneau front rail as well as the built in flap. i undid the two bolts, prepped the surface, laid the stripping and reassembled. time will tell if this helps or holds up...

you can see the offset towards the back...
    c57eca2f_c443d8946ba37b7cbc98f742897be0f411f43fdb.jpg

f196293f_43e363cb4766027907265527ba608d5ba5002054.jpg

3c6fc7a2_faf2c0f43fb9d964b264aa39a350a392d7b49afa.jpg

8. Aug 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    JTyfz450

JTyfz450 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeryck
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB MGM
    I got one too and I'm glad I got it. Love how lo pro it is!

9. Dec 25, 2012 at 6:03 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Alright Im having some water ingress issues. I have the front sealed off but after a 5 hour drive home in light rain from snowboarding all my gear bags that were against the tailgate were soaked.

What r u guys w this cover doing to seal off water from coming in the gap in the back and running down the inside of the tailgate?

I have already used a thick piece of weather stripping attached to the tonneau bar over the tailgate pointing down. All I can think of is doubling it up but I feel like that's kind of a hack.

10. Dec 25, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Basically I just try to not put anything in the last foot or so of the bed so water can't get to my things. However, I think that sometimes humidity and moisture like to condensate on the stuff too which makes it look like there is water on it.

11. Mar 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    7 month review

I don't think id buy this cover again

the cover allows water to stream down inside the tailgate, and corners soaking your bags.

the cover bubbles on the highway even though I've done my best to seal out any leaks with foam.

ive needed to tighten it twice in the past 7 months.

the color and stability of the vynl has held up well in the short time though.
    I'm just not happy with the rear fit, leaks and bubbling while on the highway...

12. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:41 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    What do you mean by "bubbling while on the highway"?

13. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    As a result of air pressure the cover lifts in the section behind the cab

14. Mar 19, 2013 at 9:35 PM
    Chad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Mine actually does the opposite. At highway speeds the cover is a tad depressed because of air/pressure. It is depressed far enough where you can faintly see the poles that run across the bed from one side to the other.

I still haven't had a problem with mine. Yes it leaks a bit in the back and a little in the front corners, but it doesn't gush in and doesn't get anything else wet except for the area right below the holes.

15. Apr 21, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    292beach

292beach Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD Double Long
    Oh I wish I read this review before I bought mine. I wouldn't buy this tonneau again.

16. Apr 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    Beach how long have you had urs? What do you think of it?

Im thinking of switching to the limited edition :-/

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  17. Apr 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM
    292beach

292beach Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD Double Long
    I just installed it. It hasn't been on for 24hours. The way the tail gate fits is what irks me. I probably wont return it because I will have to take it all apart and pay shipping. I really don't have a lot of time to screw with it. I just wish I read reviews beforehand.

18. Apr 22, 2013 at 5:17 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    stock
    As a stop gap for the crappy tailgate fit, I picked up two rolls of the thickest weather stripping I could buy and layered them on top of eachother and stuck them under the rear cross bar pushing that flap out. It seems to push against the tailgate now.

Still sucks though.

19. Apr 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM
    292beach

292beach Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    10' TRD Double Long
    Yeah I found on here somewhere that people were using a bulb gasket for this. I will be looking for some.

20. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    MassAppeal16

MassAppeal16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carrollton, KY
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD MGM DCSB
    I picked one of these up for $100 last month and have no gripes on it as of yet. I dont put too much in the bed besides my softball bag so the little bit of water getting in there is not a huge problem for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top