Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Need help deciding on Nerf bars

Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Chris1824 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Chris1824's Tacoma Gallery
Need help deciding on Nerf bars

If anyone could give me some info on which nerf bars are good and which ones to stay away from.

I have been looking at N-Fab, Iron Cross HD bars, RBP, Smitty & Rhino.
I like the Iron Cross so if anyone has info on if they are a good bar or out of the one I listed which would be the best.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
masshole taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Big Daddy
masshole taco's Tacoma Gallery
nfabs are good in terms of the overall look but I notice the ding and dent pretty easy..I plan on sanding mine down in the next few weeks and putting duplicolor bedliner on them.. they're just a basic black powder coat for now but NFAB's aren't bad. just my 2 cents
Old 08-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
wagz502 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wagz
wagz502's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Avid Off Road, they offer TW members 10% off and I've heard great things about them.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Smitty's and it looks like they are either counterfeit N-Fabs or N-Fabs are made like crap. I received mine and they were rusty already. The box said Made In China and you can tell.

My taco is more a commuter/mall queen vs. offroader and if I offroaded I am sure these would be torn up.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
JirafaBo is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
JirafaBo's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up the standard 3" tube nerf Smittybilts today for $151 total, including 3 year 4wheelparts warranty. I only have a 4x2 so I don't need them for anything more than looks. If they rust, ding, or flake within 3 years can return them. Can't beat that price.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
If you only want them for step bars or a little parking lot safety get the Avid or N-Fabs.
If you want to park the truck on a rock with them get some weld on or frame mount bolt on quality bars.
Just depends on the use you have in mind for them.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
SmittyBuilt are not N-fabs.

I've been doing some research. and N-fab are US made, not sure about Smitty...probably China and it's why they cost less.

plus N-fab's are availale w/ a 3" main tube. looks real good and fills the space below the rocker well. not sure Smitty offers the 3"

btw, the Toyota "Predator" step tubes...pretty sure they are SmittyBuilt. (check the install PDF on both, you may agree)
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
JirafaBo is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
JirafaBo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
SmittyBuilt are not N-fabs.

I've been doing some research. and N-fab are US made, not sure about Smitty...probably China and it's why they cost less.

plus N-fab's are availale w/ a 3" main tube. looks real good and fills the space below the rocker well. not sure Smitty offers the 3"

btw, the Toyota "Predator" step tubes...pretty sure they are SmittyBuilt. (check the install PDF on both, you may agree)
Smittybilts are definitely made in China. Just peeled a "made in china" sticker off my set Thursday. Also, they are 3" but they don't have the drop steps, I just have the single tube nerfs.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
Rock the Red!
MDI is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Chief Information Systems Technician
Name: Mike
MDI's Tacoma Gallery
How much do you have to spend? The RBP look pretty sharp IMO, but they are also fairly pricey. I also like the look of the Rhinos. Guess it comes down to what you need them for, the look you're going for, and how much ou want to spend.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a set of Hunter Stainless Steel bars and, after 5 years, they still look like they did when I first got them. If you live in an area where they salt the roads, I'd strongly consider stainless steel. I paid $330 for mine 5 years ago and they've held up great.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
macampos50 is on a distinguished road
Name: mike
macampos50's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
I have the Smitty's and it looks like they are either counterfeit N-Fabs or N-Fabs are made like crap. I received mine and they were rusty already. The box said Made In China and you can tell.

My taco is more a commuter/mall queen vs. offroader and if I offroaded I am sure these would be torn up.

wow, thanks! I almost bought them today because they came with a free light bar..
http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...light-bar.html
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered some RBP's. Says they wont even ship until the 10th of october, will post pics when i get them on the truck!
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
04surftaco is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: MH-65 Flight Mechanic
Name: Shane
04surftaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the N-Fabs and really like them. I don't plan to do anything I need sliders for so they fit the bill well. My wife and little boy love the steps and it makes using the roof rack an easy task. Fit and Finish is very nice!
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #15
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
nerf bar
wutz 'dat do ?

don't waste yer monies...
get real sliders
not everyone uses theit Tacoma to rock climb.

most who have nerf bars...step tubes...etc, do so for use as a step.

I bought a brand new OEM set of step tubes thinking it would look nice (and they do), and thinking they would be helpful for my wife & M-I-L to get in/out of the truck.

they don't help much for her so I took them off and I'm gonna sell them.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
wagz502 is on a distinguished road
Name: Wagz
wagz502's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
nerf bar
wutz 'dat do ?

don't waste yer monies...
get real sliders
I don't really need true sliders as I'm not planning any rock climbing or gnarly off roading, just a little mud and snow now and then.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz502 View Post
I don't really need true sliders as I'm not planning any rock climbing or gnarly off roading, just a little mud and snow now and then.
...ok

muh trail buddy had those the first trail we met on.
It was a very easy trail...
He was warned tho' that under the right circumstance
his beauty bars would give.

Sure enough... as he attempted to crest a short hill climb...
the drivers side caught the berm and nearly bent that tube in half.

just sayin'

do what pleases you.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I put on some Smittybilt Suresteps primarily to make it easier for my height-challenged better half to get in and out. Works perfect for that.

It is purely bolt-on , no drilling or cutting. Seemed pretty sturdy after installing.

Not true sliders by any means, but they held up pretty good during a 4-wheeling trip in the Death Valley area. When they absorbed impacts with rocks, they loosened up a bit and had to re-torque the bolts. They will do until I install some custom sliders.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #20
wheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to beholdwheelerkr2 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kevin
wheelerkr2's Tacoma Gallery
Well the bars came in fast, here are before and after pics. Debating whether to take off the stickers on the steps or not...
Attached Thumbnails
Need help deciding on Nerf bars-bars-before-1-1-.jpg   Need help deciding on Nerf bars-bars-after-1-1-.jpg