Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

For those who thought about using a Optima battery

Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
BlazeTaco is on a distinguished road

BlazeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
For those who thought about using a Optima battery

I installed A Deka 9A34R AGM battery( Deka's version of the Optima) in my truck. I have had it In my truck for two months now and all I can say is what a difference it makes. Cranks over and starts way better than the original battery from the factory ever did. It is actually a little smaller then the 710cca original, so it does require some modification of the battery clamp. The Deka 9A34 has 775cca, 55ah discharge rate, and 120min reserve capacity. Which is a good bit better than the Optima red top and cheaper, its about 150 bucks. I work at the battery plant where these are made. So I have a good view on the quality of manufacturing and it is good. Lots of quality checks and strict specifications.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly have to say 2 months ownership is not long enough to rate something that should be good for at the least 3 YEARs. Not trying to poop on your thread. Just seems kinda premature.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

I realize that, just giving people another option to take since so many have been saying about the problems they have been getting with Optima's batteries. Time will tell, and not many people know about the Deka battery compared to the Optima. Also it has a 2 year free replacement and 85 month prorated waranty.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
How long does your engine crank? mine takes maybe 2-3 sec. before it starts with the stock battery. That's not a real good test wait till it's 30 below.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know another good battery is available but like another said a couple of months is not very long. I have never gotten more than 3 years from a battery until I went to the Red Tops. I had a 93 Toyota 4x4 and when I wrecked it the Red Top battery was 6 years old. My wifes car has a Red Top that's 7 years old now. My GMC Z-71 Red Top is also 7 years old. My Tacoma Red Top is only 1 year old. But I do hope your batteries are just as good or even better.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
I love Optima Batteries. I have one and I have nothing but great things to say. It starts without any problems. I have actually taken the battery out of the trunk and used it to jumpstart other batteries, then hook it back up and roll off. I have had my battery since 2007 Summer. Best 378.00 ever spent.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
You must have more than one for $378.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That included the conversion kit and the tray holder..
Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #9

I needed no conversion kit or new tray holder. Same positive and negitive terminal location as the factory battery too.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Mine is a Dodge Charger. Not the Taco..
Old 07-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #11

Well before the Deka battery, the starter cranked slower. Sometimes not fast enough and it would stumble alittle before completely running even when it was warm out. Doesn't do it anymore now. About 2 secs or less to start now.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the duralast platinum with Around the same numbers and price . We'll see .
Old 07-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Well since we are on the subject of Optima and time...

I've had an Optima in the Chevelle for six years and it still is going strong. Yellow top.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #14

That's one of the older Optima's which are supposedly better then the new ones. And Gelo that is the same battery, just labeled different for the seller.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
Proud *****
LadTacoma is on a distinguished road

Army: Artillery "King of Battle!"
Name: Ray
LadTacoma's Tacoma Gallery

I just bought this one for my 4x4 w/tow package. Can you guys please tell me if it's about the right one? thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
PCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPCTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
PCTaco's Tacoma Gallery
My brother used to run Yellow tops in his grand prix gtp and killed 3 in two years.