Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

UWS low profile... Worth it?

Old 07-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
vwgtiturbo is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avionics Sensors Tech (IR, Laser, ISR)
Name: Ron
vwgtiturbo's Tacoma Gallery
UWS low profile... Worth it?

A couple of weeks ago, I added a UWS tool box for my 05 PreRunner to my Amazon wish list. It was priced at 303. Today, when I hopped on to order it, it had jumped to 414. Is this box with that cash? On the fence... Don't want to get burned with a crappy box for that amount of coin...
Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
agyoung35 is on a distinguished road
Name: Austin
agyoung35's Tacoma Gallery
The price should go back down again, what happened is Amazon took down their one so its another company that sells it for more. What happened is when they ship it the box keeps getting damaged in transit because of the packaging (I should know I ordered one and had it damaged but hopefully my replacement gets here wednesday undamaged)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Well, I've waited this long. What's another few weeks/months... Hopefully yours gets there in one piece!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
agyoung35 is on a distinguished road
Name: Austin
agyoung35's Tacoma Gallery
Last time it was only down for about a week so I would just check back every few days to see when it goes back up
Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
live4perfection will become famous soon enoughlive4perfection will become famous soon enough
live4perfection's Tacoma Gallery
I paid $340 installed at Texas Tops...worth every penny!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
I suppose I'll keep an eye out for it. Not a huge rush, but I will need it after my sub box gets here (I am too impatient and untalented to build to build my own, lol).
Thanks for the input though, I've never heard a bad thing about them. Just wanted to ensure that they are worth the cash considering what I could get locally (which are of questionable quality).
Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Uws makes good stuff..i got a shallow one from lowes that does the trick for me
Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
def wait........I had one of the kobalt specials.....It weighed nothing, it flexed like a tin can with 20lb toolbox set inside of it, the locks sucked, and it was sent back within hours.

Ive never heard a single bad thing about UWS, money well spent.

ever slam the door on a WRX?
sounds tinny.....reminds me of the cheap toolboxes.

WRX is a badass lil car, Im NOT knocking them! the doors just sound tinny to me ...Id own 1 (WRX) if I could afford it, the truck and a new car for the girl.
That's exactly why everyone I've spoken to tells me to wait. The flimsiness... Granted, it might get the job done, but I'd like it to last.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Agreed. I hope that the black color looks good! I might have to use some Back to Black on my trim so it actually somewhat matches the new box :-)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
I see chrome boxes every morning on the way to work (live in a kind of rural area) and I fully understand that... Blinding. Even if I don't look at it,I can feel it, lol.
I am a meat and potatoes kind of guy (read: very subdued taste) and chrome is way too flashy for me, blinding reflection or not. Black, while boring to some, is perfect for me, due to it being a little more plain. Might have to carry oven mitts to open it in the summer though, hahaha.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have a uws lowpro box on my 2000 tacoma 1st gen and i do not regret it at all.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Well, since everyone seems to like their UWS, let me change gears a bit...

Does anyone have a particular ingenious method of covering the bottom on the inside, to protect the box and reduce rattle?

Of course,a little bit of drawer liner would do the job, just curious if someone had any other ideas...
Old 07-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo View Post
Well, since everyone seems to like their UWS, let me change gears a bit...

Does anyone have a particular ingenious method of covering the bottom on the inside, to protect the box and reduce rattle?

Of course,a little bit of drawer liner would do the job, just curious if someone had any other ideas...
i bought some of those foam floor pieces that go together like a puzzle and cut them to size and hot glued them in. 2 years later its still them along with my led lights strips in the box.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
i bought some of those foam floor pieces that go together like a puzzle and cut them to size and hot glued them in. 2 years later its still them along with my led lights strips in the box.
I LOVE that idea for the bottom... And the lights? Excellent idea that I hadn't considered. So enlighten me... Are the lights switched on with a switch, or...? I really dig it; didn't even think that I might need to actually see in the box when it's dark outside.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
id assume indoor/outdoor carpet.
Never considered that... Good call.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
My local Ace Hardware sells scraps of rubber sheet. I've seen several pieces there big enough to cover the bottom.

And so far I am pleased with my UWS box. Granted I have only had it for a few days.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgtiturbo View Post
I LOVE that idea for the bottom... And the lights? Excellent idea that I hadn't considered. So enlighten me... Are the lights switched on with a switch, or...? I really dig it; didn't even think that I might need to actually see in the box when it's dark outside.
the lights are actually powered through a rocker switch in the very corner of the box. when the lid is opened they turn on. when it is closed they turn off
Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
kyser13 is a jewel in the roughkyser13 is a jewel in the roughkyser13 is a jewel in the rough
Coast Guard: PO1
kyser13's Tacoma Gallery
can you share the light set up with us, sounds good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
the lights are actually powered through a rocker switch in the very corner of the box. when the lid is opened they turn on. when it is closed they turn off
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyser13 View Post
can you share the light set up with us, sounds good.
I will not a problem. I used a switch from radioshack. I ran a hot wire from my aux fuse panel and drilled a very small hole in the driver side corner of the toolbox. I drilled 2 small holes in the corner on the edge that I mounted the switch too. From there I ran the wires to my lights up under the ledge. I used led strips from oznium.com. After over 2 years of use lights are still working great and the switch is too. The light bars are also waterproof. Also heatshrink can be put around the arm of the switch in order to adjust the contact point if it needs more. I will upload some pictures shortly and this will all make a little better sense.

Qty 1 Switch http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049719

Qty 2 LED Light Bars http://www.oznium.com/smd-bar

Switch and you can see the contact point for the lid

Light output at night

Another shot of the switch

Wires Under ledge for the lights