Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

IronMan 4x4 2" lift!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
IronMan 4x4 2" lift!

Well, I finally got around to installing my IronMan 4x4 2" lift by IronMan 4x4. I ordered it through Sierraexpeditions.com. The only problem with ordering was the shipping and wait time. It took way too long to ship from NJ (or Australia..) and it ended up being a 1 month wait from order to delivery. I finally got the time together to install it with a few people (thanks JMG, Buckswells and others).
Here is the lift as it was delivered

The springs are noticeably beefier than the stock sport springs, as well as the shocks.

This is the old ones out, and I forgot to snap pictures of the new ones prior to install .
installed with tires on in the front. Brought the front up the actual 2" that the lift claims to gain.
The only problem with installing the front came from the people I had put them together. They did not install the tops fully, and when we drove it around the block a few times we noticed that there were still plenty of threads on the top. So we tightened them back down and torqued them.

Here are the differences in the rears.

and

Now, the only problem with this whole kit is the fact that it did not come with instructions of any sort, except on mounting the springs in the front. Since none of us were very acquainted with the bushings in the back for the shackles, we did not know that the metal insert was part of the old bushings... . Well, we finally beat them out, and the new kit comes with full polyurethane bushings. Very thick, very well manufactured.
EDIT: I forgot one thing about the new U-Bolts. They are very thick, and great manufacturing in them. BUT, the supplied lock washers were crap. When torquing down the U-bolts, the lock washers started to un-coil and split/broke in half before we were close to 80lbs. I would recommend to get new better ones from a store before putting them in.

So here is how it stands after install and alignment done.

I went from 21" in the front to 23" center of hub to fender. In the rear, it went from 22 1/2" to 24 1/2-25" depending on how I was parked. I have driven it about 100 miles since last night with it on, and I have not reinstalled the sway brace. This ride is amazing compared to stock. I can tell how much more handling and stability I have with it on. I would recommend this kit to anyone who is looking at saving 400 bucks over OME with Dakars. If you have any questions on it, let me know!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great
Old 08-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
IMO, seeing all 3 shocks (OME, 5100's and IronMan), IM's seem to look the biggest/beefiest of the 3. And the leaf pack in the rear looks almost identical to the Dakar's but with 1" less of lift.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
TRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD6Speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
TRD6Speed's Tacoma Gallery
looks tight.....love the rake. I ended up getting 5100s due to budget and my total lack of wheeling it seems.......so i'll be looking like that hopefully just an inch higher. I will def need new tires asap but yours looks perfect with the 2". Congrats
Old 08-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
I count 11 turns in the coil spring, while stock has only turns. Be wary of coil slap.

Rear lift looks nice.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I count 11 turns in the coil spring, while stock has only turns. Be wary of coil slap.

Rear lift looks nice.
I've already done a bit of hard breaking/starting to see if there was going to be any issues. I am going to avoid putting on my sway bar for a while also... don't want it to rub on the coils or cause any damage if I don't quite have them in the right position. But it doesn't seem like I will need it anyway.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you have any convenient areas to flex the truck, you can check the bumpstops hit before the coils stack solid.

And if the coils do hit, you can always cushion it with more progressive bumpstops, like the Wheeler's Superbumps.
(OZ-T's photo):
Old 08-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #9

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If you have any convenient areas to flex the truck, you can check the bumpstops hit before the coils stack solid.

And if the coils do hit, you can always cushion it with more progressive bumpstops, like the Wheeler's Superbumps.
I might do this later. I have no plans in the next month or two to wheel it hard. Also, added above something about the rears. The supplied lock washers were crap. They started splitting/spreading/breaking before we were close to 80lbs on them. Otherwise, it is a great kit.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Field Artillery
Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!
Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Blueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueberry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Blueberry's Tacoma Gallery
On another note sorry I wasn't able to make it by today. Ended up working until two and was dog tired when I got home.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #13

Air Force:
It's alright man. We ended up getting it done yesterday.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
powerpack66 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
powerpack66's Tacoma Gallery
I really like how your lift turned out. It made me want to consider picking one up for my truck. I have a question though. Did your kit come with the 1/2 inch shock spacers that Coryip was talking about in his thread? The reason I was asking, is I have a Dc Longbed and I was thinking that I would need them because of the extra cab weight on my truck.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #16

Air Force:
Yes, they did. You can also order the same lift with stronger coils. Mine are B rated up to 650kg, and they have coils and leaf springs for higher rating. I think you just need to call them when you order to ensure you get the correct thing.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #17
powerpack66 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
powerpack66's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I'll give them a call and ask about the heavier spring option.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 PM   #18

Air Force:
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind..._detail&p=4686

You can change it to a C rated coil instead of B on here. I guess the leaf pack is only for the FJs and other Australian type vehicle.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #19
Alexfiggy is on a distinguished road
Marines: Corporal MALS 39 ord 3 maw
Name: Alex
Alexfiggy's Tacoma Gallery
Hows the lift so far?