Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Westin Ultimate Bull Bar

Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Don Groff is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Lt Colonel, Civil Engineer (Ret)
Don Groff's Tacoma Gallery
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar

Hi folks, newbie here
I have more of a question than a product review but........
Jist picked up a 2012 Double Cab 4.0 with the Off-Road Package

I bought the Westin Ultimate Bull Bar - largely because of the "No drilling" installation. Two simple brackets bolt onto existing bumper hardware. The bar itself bolts to these brackets. I don't have a picture, but a flat plate on each side of the bar bolts to the flat plates bolted to the bumper frame.

But the holes the bolts go through are significantly larger than the diameter of the bolts. I'm sure this is to allow for positioning and adjustment - but - I can't seem to get the bolts tight enough to keep the plates from slipping a bit and the bar from drooping. There's only two bolts on each side and I broke two of them last night during installation. The only thing I can think of is getting the bar into the desired position (already replaced the broken bolts) and then drilling a third hole on each side and threading another, properly sized smaller bolt through that hole

Thanks

Don
Old 08-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
Did you put on the big washers? And did you add the third bolt, nut and washers?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
I did. Turns out 2 of the 4 bolts were crossthreaded. Found this out when they snapped while removing them for replacement. New hardware - no problem. Tight!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
PICTURES!
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, your problem seems to be resolved, so this is more for others than you.

Anyway, since the bracket itself mounts on the front of the frame (three bolts each side, no adjustment), I'm assuming you're talking about the holes (two bolts each side) attaching the bullbar itself to that bracket. The holes on the bracket for the bullbar are elongated horizontally to allow some adjustment, while the holes on the bullbar are elongated vertically for the same purpose. The latter bolts should be torqued to a maximum of 30-ft/lbs.

If the latter attachment points continue to slip after tightening (it happens), there are two methods of resolving it. The first is to place lock washers between the bullbar and bracket. I'd recommend the type used for electronics (large teeth around the entire circumference). The second option is using caulking-style adhesive in that same area (wiping off any excess). Of course, you could also combine both methods.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
I thought about the gripping washers and even bought some when I picked up the replacement bolts. Also considered silicone or some thin, dense rubber, but I was thinking anything that put more space between the plates would also allow water to collect and lead to rust. As it is I may silicon around the joints. I had a different push par on my Dodge for 10 years and when it rusted out it was anywhere water could get in and not get out - like the horizontal crossbars
Old 08-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
grizquad is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
grizquad's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the same bar from AutoAnything, and it installed and didn't move just fine. The only thing I didn't like was after a rain storm, the brushed stainless plate in front rusted with spots I could not get off. They gave me a full refund and I bought an Aries Bull Bar and it was $100. cheaper and mounted exactly the same, I like it and it looks good. I did buy the Westin nerf bars and like them. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
ssmith29440 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
ssmith29440's Tacoma Gallery
Don check your pm's
Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Haven't got any PMs. What's up?
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #10
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
coooomeooonn....
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
sorry about the lack of pics - the angle of the sun washed out the bar. then i had to go out of town on short notice.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Ghumps is on a distinguished road
Ghumps's Tacoma Gallery
post a pic! Im thinking about getting one of these
Old 09-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
Update Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with Plate relocator, Pop & Lock, Superbumper

So, finally,here are a few photos. These include the installed Westin bull bar WITH plate relocator (don't like the look with the relocator, but few options in Maryland. Also a Pop n'lock tailgate latch supposed to match the Barcelona Red factory color. I wouldnt really recommend this item, fit and finish are poor. But I already had the OEM non-lockable latch removed before I noticed. Also the "Superbumper" installed - a small bumper with a built in shock-absorbing feature

http://www.superbumper.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Westin Ultimate Bull Bar-picture-034.jpg   Westin Ultimate Bull Bar-picture-035.jpg   Westin Ultimate Bull Bar-picture-039.jpg   Westin Ultimate Bull Bar-picture-036.jpg  
Old 09-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #14
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I'm embarrassed to say I had one of these...
and regret ever wasting muh money on it.

Mounted some lights on it...
and they vibrated more then a dildo

IMO/E... these are useless bling garbage.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #15
I had something similar on my Dodge Ram that took a lot of abuse and saved bumper and grille damage more than once. If you experienced a lot of vibration, you probably had other issues. I don't even want to know about your experience with the dildo (TMI)
Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Groff View Post
If you experienced a lot of vibration, you probably had other issues.
you'd be wrong...
the problem is with how it's bolted to the truck
and the bumper's leverage/weight exaggerates the issue.

I'm not offering my opinion just to be unfriendly
I just think it's a poorly designed product...
and feel I have a right to say so.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Groff View Post
I had something similar on my Dodge Ram that took a lot of abuse and saved bumper and grille damage more than once. If you experienced a lot of vibration, you probably had other issues. I don't even want to know about your experience with the dildo (TMI)
I also don't have any vibration issues. I made sure mine is installed tight and it's been fine for a long time now.
I do agree that these are by no means bull dozer blades, but they do offer same light protection from people who don't know how to park, etc.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

I do like the superbumper though
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Flight Ready
Space Junk is on a distinguished road

Space Junk's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to put one of these on my 2013, the front end is just too plane and needs a little pop. It seems to me that the bull bars don't get a lot of respect on this forum and I wonder why. I mean, I see that they only attach at the bottom and you could experience some lever action while in a wreck. Is this why a lot of people dislike them?