Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Wet Okole piping - Does it hold up?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
07BigRed is on a distinguished road

07BigRed's Tacoma Gallery
Wet Okole piping - Does it hold up?

I just signed up for the Wet Okole group buy, and now I have a decision to make.

I'm going to go with the black/charcoal combo, and I really like the look of the charcoal half-piping. But, I wonder about the durability of the piping. Is there a chance that the piping is going to wear through in a couple of years...from me sliding across it every day? Has anyone ever had that happen, or does anyone have any advice about that?

By the way, has anyone ever ordered the black/charcoal with red half-piping? If so, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it. I got thinking that it might look pretty sharp with a red TRD logo.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
JWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shedJWaldz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Waldo
JWaldz's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of the piping wearing down after a good while of use. The driver side piping where you would be exiting and entering the vehicle is the most vulnerable spot. Just be sure to keep up with maintaining them and they will last a long long time. As for the picture, go through the toyota gallery and you can get some ideas. I pulled this from the gallery, both for a Tacoma.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
hemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kurt
hemitruk's Tacoma Gallery
Pic of mine with full pipping. Inner pipping on driver side worn but cover not ripped .Just pipping worn . Had cover about 3 years now.
Attached Thumbnails
Wet Okole piping - Does it hold up?-sdc10293.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
07BigRed is on a distinguished road

07BigRed's Tacoma Gallery
JWaldz and hemitruk,

Thank you so much for the information. As much as I definitely prefer the look of the piping, it just doesn't look like best option if I'm concerned at all about longevity.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
the outermost piping on the DS seat of my 1st gen has met a similar fate as hemitruk's

I have black piping though so it is not nearly as noticeable to me.. still a little disappointed in the durability, I'v only had them since last Thanksgiving.

That being said, I think the piping made the look of them and I wouldn't change it for the world. just have to stay ontop of them and make sure they don't get much worse

Old 09-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is showing wear but in love and prefer the look of full piping
Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #8
Island Cruiser is on a distinguished road
Island Cruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps the half-piping would be a better option? Half-piping is the outer correct? Looks like the inners wear out faster.

PS: krob32, remove your sig pic! It's making me jealous and I hate your sick-tasting Tacoma with a passion!
Old 09-05-2012, 05:39 AM   #9
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cruiser View Post
Perhaps the half-piping would be a better option? Half-piping is the outer correct? Looks like the inners wear out faster.
Yes, half piping is only on the outer edge (exactly where mine is wearing) but maybe that is a 1st gen vs. 2nd gen issue.

Also, if you choose half piping you are forced to use Black as the outer color of the covers themselves, which was not at all the look I wanted.

just food for thought
Old 09-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Agree the piping looks good. Hadn't thought twice about adding this till seeing comments from several owners. Probably won't get it now. Too much money to have something look worn after a small amount of time.
its only a $10 difference between half and full piping, isn't it?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #11
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like I'll be passing on the piping. Especially since I find myself sliding out of my truck ever since the lift !
Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Piping would probably be ideal for cars since they are lower, so less butt scooting to get out right?

Looking to get some piping for my gf's XRS
Old 09-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
Yes, half piping is only on the outer edge (exactly where mine is wearing) but maybe that is a 1st gen vs. 2nd gen issue.

Also, if you choose half piping you are forced to use Black as the outer color of the covers themselves, which was not at all the look I wanted.

just food for thought
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I am choosing against the piping for that very reason.

But on the same note, now I'm hearing that the stitching comes out. *sigh*
Old 09-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
sherlock will become famous soon enough

sherlock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
I am choosing against the piping for that very reason.

But on the same note, now I'm hearing that the stitching comes out. *sigh*

I had Okoles (no piping) on a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. The Okoles were on the Wrangler for 7 years and never any issues with stitching coming out.

Also had Okoles (no piping) on a 2003 Ford Lightning and never any issues with those either.

As for piping and wear......... I could see where piping may not hold up well.

Do be careful when you install Okoles as you can damage stitching if you yank on the covers extremely hard.

In closing Wet Okoles are a top notch! Well worth the $.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
Process is on a distinguished road
Marines: Brat of full bird Colonel USMC WWII, Korea, Vietnam
Process's Tacoma Gallery
Fixing the Wet Okole piping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPICOTACO View Post
the outermost piping on the DS seat of my 1st gen has met a similar fate as hemitruk's

I have black piping though so it is not nearly as noticeable to me.. still a little disappointed in the durability, I'v only had them since last Thanksgiving.

That being said, I think the piping made the look of them and I wouldn't change it for the world. just have to stay ontop of them and make sure they don't get much worse

Wont they fix the piping for 15 bucks? Website says 15 bucks a panel.... just curious
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
hemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to beholdhemitruk is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kurt
hemitruk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Process View Post
Wont they fix the piping for 15 bucks? Website says 15 bucks a panel.... just curious
Went to local Wet Okole store in Honolulu They quoted me $40 a panel.No sense if its going to wear again.With that said theres a little more wear on inner pipping but the stiching is solid. No wear on outher pipping .Over all still solid cover .Would buy again with just the half pipping (outher)
Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #20
Jedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of lightJedi7Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: 0621 Field Radio Operator, Cpl
Name: Josh
Jedi7Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Looks like I'll be passing on the piping. Especially since I find myself sliding out of my truck ever since the lift !
This, I have half piping, with my 3" lift I slide in and out and in that one area my piping is taking a beating, it has rubbed about 2" off the drivers seat. I should state they are 5 years old and the rest of the piping looks new still.