Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Product Reviews

Notices

Tire Gate flat spare tire mount

Old 01-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #1
I see you now..................
longbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shedlongbow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
longbow's Tacoma Gallery
Tire Gate flat spare tire mount

I want to thank snoboarder for pointing me on to this, and all the PM's I sent.
Alot of you may not like this for many reason, to much room taken up in the bed, rather use straps etc. For me a perfect fit, here are some steps I went through.
Directions are basic, take a good long look underneather before you drill a hole, make sure you alignment is dead on.
Here is what was in the box

Here is the top plate with the screws added, I used a large round course file since I drilled the holes a tad bit smaller 3/8" for the four screws and 15/16" for the large center hole.
Bottom plate

Since I wanted to keep my bed mat, I measured the top bracket and added 1/4" and made my cuts.

Here is it somewhat finished before placing the tire. I looked at a number of ways to run the cable. Decided to run the main shaft down the middle of the coil.

Here is a shot with the wheel on, now the big thing....will my Undercover still close.

YES!! cover closes with room to spare. Still need to get a lock, someone will have one heck of a time stealing this.

All in all I am really happy with the outcome. It is not a mod you just jump into. The center hole is the biggie. Go very slow in drilling, regular bits grab the crap out of the bed, and if you are not carfeful I see someone cracking it.
I was thinking about measuring from the top, "don't do it" get the bottom plate the location you want and start with the center hole first. The rest is "a piece of cake"
Old 01-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
I like it! Can't wait to see more pics of it. Is there anyway to lock it?

Well you added more pics and answered my question after I posted.

Looks even better now!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool product but wouldnt want it taking up my bed space. seems like a good alternative so you can fit a 33" spare tire when wheeling though.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
Thats looks awsome, Nice work on the install!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work and great write-up!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Nice job.....Is there a reason why the nuts (underneath pic) don't have the bolt threads running completely through them? I see they are nylon lock nuts but I would think there should be at least a 1/4" of thread past the nut.

Could just me and the instructions call for different. enjoy your mod.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that looks sweet!
Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to ask you how the tpms works with that but i see you have an 05 wonder how that would work for me.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
I was going to ask you how the tpms works with that but i see you have an 05 wonder how that would work for me.
TPMS should work just fine in that location...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
daleclough is on a distinguished road
daleclough's Tacoma Gallery
Please, tell me where you bought it.....
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #14
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I like it. Nice install and write up. Probably should get some 1/2" longer bolts though, they may loosen in time.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #15
Hardcore wheeler, try and keep up.... if you can.
SnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud ofSnoBoarder has much to be proud of

SnoBoarder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post
No, those nut's are not tightened down in the photo.
To be honest I needed another pair of hands, so in waiting for my daughter to show up I took a few of the pic's.
And you are correct, the threads are 1/4" past the nut now.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #16
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
ok not tight, gotcha....you can always clamp a pair of vise grips onto the top and go below.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #17
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
nice job looks good clean
Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #19
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
nice man, I am looking at options for mounting my spare, how much was this thing?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
Banned
bermise will become famous soon enough
bermise's Tacoma Gallery
I have read from a few posts on here that your not supposed to drill through the composite beds our trucks have.?? Toyota told me the same thing. Any problems from anyone?